[MyAppleMenu] Aug 1, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 1 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, August 1, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** A New Age Dawns: Father And Daughter Musicians Create Synthesized Sound
<http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/artsCulture/view.bg?articleid=38264>
by Chris Bergeron, Daily News Transcript
In varying degrees, father-and-daughter musicians Frank and Kerry Leva represent music's high-technology future by adapting their instrumental training to the computer age.

*** Apple, Circuit City Head To Carousel
<http://www.syracuse.com/business/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/business-5/1091265426203820.xml>
by Bob Niedt, Syracuse Post-Standard
Two big names in retail electronics and computers are coming to Carousel Center mall in the fall: Circuit City and an Apple store from Apple Computer.

*** Long Waiting List For Apple's iPod Mini
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/gizmos/story/0,4386,264598,00.html>
by Mike Lee, Straits Times
Demand has been outstripping supply as hundreds of eager buyers in Singapore rush to lay their hands on the new Apple iPod mini digital music player.

*** Apple, RealNetworks Clash Fuels Industry Debate
<http://www.thestandard.com/article.php?story=2004073115074565>
by Marc Ferranti, IDG News Service
The increasinlyg rancorous feud between Apple and RealNetworks is refueling controversy about Apple's business model, copyright law and the impact of incompatile technologies on the music business.

[Opinion]

*** Apple's Jobs Strikes Sour Note In Bashing Harmony
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0408010024aug01,1,6649930.column?coll=chi-techtopheds-hed>
by James Coates, Chicago Tribune
You called Harmony a "hack." I call it history. And I want to warn you, in the words of that great Guttenberg-compatible software writer Arnold Toynbee, that he who forgets history is doomed to repeat it.

*** My iPod Or Apple's?
<http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/000137.html>
by Harry McCracken, PC World
What Apple seems to be telling its customers is that they don't deserve to buy music from anyone but Apple -- and in its own way, that's as disrespectful a message as the one that Real has sometimes communicated in the past.

*** Apple Joins The 64-Bit Party
<http://www.reed-electronics.com/eb-mag/article/CA438834?pubdate=8%2F1%2F2004>
by Peter N. Glaskowsky, Electronic News
Apple has proven its ability to bring Mac OS developers up to speed on new technologies.

*** Neat Idea: The Mini-Me Drive
<http://www.macmove.com/mt/archives/000163.html>
by MacMove.com

[Review]

*** Alias Sketchbook Pro
<http://www.fpsmagazine.com/review/040731sketchpro.shtml>
by Mike Caputo, FPS Magazine
The one real drawback to Sketchbook is that it doesn't integrate well with Photoshop or Painter. But as a standalone application for creating quick sketches, Sketchbook Pro stands ahead of the pack.

*** Apple AirPort Express Shuffles The Deck With Wireless Fidelity
<http://www.newsday.com/business/columnists/ny-txwilliams3914281aug01,0,7888689.column?coll=ny-business-columnists>
by Stephen Williams, Newsday
While the capabilities of the Express may make it sound complicated, it is not.

[Sidetrack]

*** Amercian Innovation Is Now In Danger, Except...
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/01/#20040801bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Sir Harold Evans<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/magazine/01QUESTIONS.html>: We've gotten fat, dumb and happy. Obviously, we still get someone brilliant like Steve Jobs -- and the iPod. I think [the iPod] is marvelous.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Why Mobile Services Fail
<http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100902>
by Howard Rheingold, The Feature
Designer Scott Jenson says mobile services like WAP and MMS were set up to fail because designers looked backwards at past successes instead of forward to new, untried ways to use mobile media.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Poll Position
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19540-2004Jul27.html>
by Richard Morin and Claudia Deane, Washington Post
Whether you think the 2000 election was stolen or won fair and square, a close look at the way our opinions fluctuated four years ago says a lot about polls, and more than a little about what's ahead.

*** The Case Against George W. Bush
<http://www.esquire.com/cgi-bin/printtool/print.cgi?pages=5&filename=%2Ffeatures%2Farticles%2F2004%2F040729_mfe_reagan.html&x=56&y=9>
by Ron Reagan, Esquire
We can embrace a lie, or we can restore a measure of integrity to our government.

[Life]

*** The Risk Of Reading
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/magazine/01WWLN.html>
by Mark Edmundson, New York Times
Reading is indeed nearly boundless in its promise. It can effect changes for the greatest good. But it is worth bearing in mind that reading's promise is tied up with some danger, too.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** No More Shaming Of Bond-Breakers
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,264523,00.html>
by Tracy Quek, Straits Times
EDB and IDA try to find an amicable solution with such scholarship holders now.

*** Stop In The Name Of...
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/lifestyle/story/0,4386,264468,00.html?>
by Teo Cheng Wee, Straits Times
... flyers, surveys and product promotions. You can run but you certainly cannot hide from touts of all persuasions in Orchard Road.

[Opinion]

*** Beyond Gimmicks: Tablet PC Trial In Crescent Girls' Secondary
<http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2004/08/beyond-gimmicks-tablet-pc-trial-in.html>
by Ivan Chew
How will the Tablet PC -- or equivalent -- make a student a better person in the broad sense of the word?

[Entertainment]

*** Gluttons Square Ope Till Next Feb
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,264524,00.html?>
by Straits Times
Gluttons Square will stay open until next February. But some of the existing hawkers will be replaced by new ones.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.