[MyAppleMenu] Monday, Oct 20, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 20 21:05:01 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Oct 20, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Whistles A Happy 1 Million iTunes (Ina Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2100-1046_3-5093702.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news>
Apple said Monday that 1 million copies of its iTunes software for Windows have been downloaded since its introduction on Thursday. Apple also said it has sold more than 1 million songs in that same time.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Second Bite Of The Apple (Jefferson Graham, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-10-20-itunes-usat_x.htm>

Atlanta To Get Second Apple Store (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/20/atlanta/index.php?redirect=1066632981000>
It will be located at the Northpoint Mall with the grand opening scheduled for Nov. 22.

Swinburne Linux Supercomputer Tastes Apple RAID (Rodney Gedda, Computerworld)
<http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1425490297&fp=2&fpid=1>
"The Xserve RAID is the cheapest system of its type and none of the other mainstream players have a comparable price."

Laptops Losing Luster Because Of Budget Crunches Nationwide (Sarah Coffee, Associated Press)
<http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2003/10/19/laptops_losing_luster_because_of_budget_crunches_nationwide/>
In just a few years time, state budget surpluses that soared during the dot-com era have vanished, and laptops suddenly seem extravagant for states grappling with tight budgets.

USA Poll Shows Little Interest In Downloading Music (Lawrence Specker, Mobile Register)
<http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1066555388127600.xml>
The recording industry's wails about free downloading of songs seem to be falling on deaf ears in Alabama, the results of a new poll suggest.

Jobs Named One Of Entertainment's Most Powerful 'Suits' (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/10/19/suits>
Apple and Pixar CEO Steve Jobs placed third in Entertainment Weekly's power list in its "suits" category.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
We'll Write It For You: Why The Mac Web Is Starting To Suck (Chris Seibold, MyMac.com)
<http://www.mymac.com/seibold/10.20.03.shtml>
All that's left are sites full of press releases masquerading as stories of interest.

Where Apple Education Got It Right... And Wrong (Steve Wood, View From The Classroom)
<http://www.mathdittos2.com/columns/view/v031020.html>

Microsoft Monopoly Says Apple Monopoly Is Too Restrictive (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/33468.html>
Comparing the two monopolies -- one horizontal, one vertical -- is an interesting exercise. Under which monopoly are users happier?

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Freeway Express (Ken Genetti, MacHome)
<http://www.machome.com/reviews/display.lasso?grr8=166>
Whether you are a novice working on a personal site or a professional looking for a tool with more on-demand power, Freeway Express is well worth a look.

Stuffit Deluxe 8.0.1 (Gary Coyne, Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/stuf-8.shtml>

Power Mac G5 Dual 2-GHz -- How Fast Is It? (Macs Only!)
<http://www.macsonly.com/#10201>
We use our Power Mac largely for heavy graphics and 3D gaming and for those purposes, the G5 is very fast, maybe even the fastest as Apple claims

Swap, Lua Lua And Energy (Kirk Hiner, Applelinks)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/phelios.shtml>
Within these three games, there's some encouraging stuff here.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Windows Not Trustworthy (Bob Cancilla, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,,1356571,00.asp>
To earn the trust of computer users and corporate customers everywhere, Microsoft has to do more than declare a strategy. Trustworthy computing? Just ask the millions of people who are downloading the latest Windows security patch.

Microsoft's Integration Strategy Is Costly For Customers (Gregg Keizer, TechWeb)
<http://www.internetwk.com/breakingNews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15500159>
Microsoft's strategy of increasingly integrating its server and client products -- as best evidenced by the Office System line-up which officially launches next week -- means some enterprises may end up paying 10 to 40 percent more to stay with Redmond's wares, a recent report from Jupiter Research suggests.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Trash Your Desktop (Michael Fitzgerald, MIT Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/fitzgerald1103.asp>
Mitch Kapor's new, more intuitive computer interface puts all the information we need to manage our digital lives at our fingertips, no matter what form it's in.

PDA, RIP (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2143700>
The next big thing that wasn't -- or was it?

Can Cable Fast-Forward Past TiVo? (Seth Schiesel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/20/technology/20tivo.html>
TiVo's original business of selling stand-alone DVR boxes, along with a monthly support service, appears in danger of being eclipsed by products that are much less expensive for consumers and are integrated with devices that many consumers are already comfortable with, like television set-top boxes.

Progress, Innovation Coming To Cell Phones (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/7051130.htm>
For now, the market is refreshingly competitive. Innovation is afoot, again.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Of Mice And Men (William Safire, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/20/opinion/20SAFI.html>
Time to think about the brave new world we're rushing into.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
The Wreck (Ben McGrath, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?031027ta_talk_mcgrath>
Many in the first wave of nine-to-five commuters returning to Staten Island last Wednesday learned of the day's calamity only when they'd reached the waterfront.

Same-Sex Family Values (Laura McClure, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/10/20/same_sex_marriage/index_np.html>
Toby and Jean Adams moved to Auburn, Calif., to raise their daughter in a close-knit community with good schools. The reaction of their neighbors and fellow churchgoers -- from anger to acceptance to confusion -- mirrors Middle America's evolving attitudes toward gays and gay marriage.

The Heroic Male Disappears From CanLit (Philip Marchand, Tornoto Star)
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_gx_session_id_=fac4b5533fea901a&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1066312839817&call_pageid=968867495754&col=969483191630>
Once upon a time, in Canadian literature, there were some forceful male characters in fiction.

First Person Singular: Classical Music (Ivan Hewett, Telegraph)
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2003/10/18/bmfps17.xml&sSheet=/arts/2003/10/18/ixartleft.html>
The great unspoken truth about classical music is that despite its overwhelmingly white audience it receives a lion's share of government funding.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Expressions
-------------------------------
Love Snares (Louise Erdrich, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?031027fi_fiction>
A man finds happiness so fleetingly, like the petals melting off a prairie rose. Even as you touch the feeling, it dries up, leaving only the dust of the emotion, a powder of hope. That is how it happened with me. No sooner had Margaret and I found happiness together in our old age than our joy was disrupted. Our peace was shattered. Our love was challenged. My life's enemy, Shesheeb, returned to the reservation and set up his house down the road.

MyAppleMenu Reader: EOF
-----------------------
King Won't Teach Writing Over Internet (Associated Press)
<http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/7053566.htm>
Best-selling writer Stephen King has backed out of a plan to teach writing to middle school students over the Internet, at least for now.

It's A Taikonaut, It's A Pear, It's... Copyright (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,215492,00.html?>
The name of Chinese taikonaut Yang Liwei has been copyrighted so that no one can use it without the approval of the China National Space Administration (CNSA).

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Fears For Singapore's Stray Cat Multitudes (Associated Press)
<http://www.capetimes.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=272&fArticleId=264499>
The Singapore government's decision to stop sterilising stray cats has raised animal lovers' fears that more strays in this famously tidy city-state will be put to death, activists said last week.

Why Robinson Is Likely To Go To The Highest Bidder (Wong Wei Kong, Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/premiumstory/0,4574,97122,00.html?>
Balancing equally the interests of shareholders, employees and customers is an ideal, but in practice, it rarely happens.

Exiled Singapore Dissident Plans Democracy Radio (Reuters)
<http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl/reuters10-18-213201.asp?reg=PACRIM>
A Muslim activist who fled Singapore in 2002 after accusations that he had defamed founding father Lee Kuan Yew plans to return via the airwaves with a message of free speech, a state-run newspaper reported on Sunday.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.