[MyAppleMenu] May 26, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 26 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, May 26, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
The iTunes Music Store (Jade, Ars Technica)
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/003/itunesms/itunesms-1.html>
I went to the music event with few expectations besides the obvious.

Apple Store Coming To Tucson, AZ (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/19553>

Principal Of Year Reflects On Hills, Valleys Of His Job (Elizabeth Kenny, Portsmouth Herald)
<http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/05262003/news/30722.htm>
When one of his teachers approached him last year about applying for a program that would give seventh-graders laptops, he was a little skeptical. But then he heard the pervious governor, Angus King, speak about it.

Apple Through The Years (Rocky Mountain News)
<http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/technology/article/0,1299,DRMN_49_1989740,00.html>

Please, Sir, Help Pay For My $6,000 Laptop (Arlina Arshad, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,191194,00.html?>
With two days to go before his 28th birthday on Wednesay, Daniel Lim has raised $1,100 towards an Apple Powerbook with a 17-inch screen.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Four Ways To Update Older Computers (Gannett News Service)
<http://www.theadvertiser.com/news/html/6CE331D8-1C99-4EFA-8657-C64BD3504CD3.shtml>
When the price of upgrading is half that of a new computer, just buy a new computer.

New Keyboards Offer Portability (Mike Langberg, Contra Costa Times)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/business/5942008.htm>
Laptop computers are wonderful for taking notes and staying connected on the road, but they're still relatively expensive and prone to breakage. A lost-cost alternative is emerging in a new type of product I call a portable keyboard.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft Finds Some Doubters For The Motives Of Its Largesse (John Markoff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/26/technology/26SOFT.html?ex=1054526400&en=17e99a0feb200103&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE>
Even when the Microsoft Corporation attempts to do good, its critics distrust its motives.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Hunt For Etiquette Among Unwired (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/26/technology/26WIFI.html>
Armed with laptop computers and wireless connections, some executives at a recent conference seemed to spend more time surfing than listening.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Bigger, Better Linux (Lisa Vaas, eWeek)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=7716>
Users of Linux databases are drooling over the list of features promised by the forthcoming upgrade to the Linux kernel, Version 2.6.

Another Spin On Digital Music (Chris Gaither, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/146/business/Another_spin_on_digital_music+.shtml>
At a time when college administrators are coming under fire for students illegally downloading copyrighted songs, the president of one major university is urging schools to launch their own digital music services as an alternative to digital privacy.

Can A Keyboard Light The Way? (Katie Dean, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0,1452,58949,00.html>
Virtual keyboards -- projected images of the real thing that let typists compose their sentences on any flat surface -- are inching closer to store shelves.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Does The Public Really Believe? (William Raspberry, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39211-2003May25.html>
I don't mean this to be a smart-aleck question, but I do wonder: Do Americans really believe what they say they believe? Or to put it more honestly, do those people -- meaning people who disagree with me -- really believe what they say?

A War Without End (John W. Brinsfield, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/26/opinion/26BRIN.html>
We now have another generation who has been forced into the ambiguities, the moral questions and the suffering that combat entails. And we think of them today.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Remake Man (Tad Friend, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030602fa_fact>
Roy Lee brings Asia to Hollywood, and finds some enemies along the way.

The Last Stand (Steve Nash, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28220-2003May22.html>
Very old trees offer a glimpse into our past and clues to our future. But are they worth saving?

Doting Husbands And Sugar Daddies (Anne Roiphe, The Guardian)
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,962072,00.html>
Some great female writers have had male muses. Lucky them.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
The Accident (Gao Xingjian, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030602fi_fiction>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Cat Lovers To The Rescue (Grace Chua and Sherwin Loh, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,191356,00.html?>
Cat lovers are now plucking strays off the streets, in an effort to save them from being culled by the Argi-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA).

One Giant Playground: Major Upgrading Plan To Draw More To East Coast Park (Jose Raymond, Today)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/todaynews/view/694/1/.html>
Changes for the revival of the entire coast -- all the way to the waterfront promenade of Marina South -- are afoot.

Singapore Vulnerable To Attack: Najib (Reme Ahmad, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/story/0,4386,191158,00.html?>
Small isalnds are difficult to defend, he says, but admits Singapore's military capabilities are better than Malaysia's.

Please, Sir, Help Pay For My $6,000 Laptop (Arlina Arshad, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,191194,00.html?>
With two days to go before his 28th birthday on Wednesay, Daniel Lim has raised $1,100 towards an Apple Powerbook with a 17-inch screen.

SPH Defends Streats Survey (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,191195,00.html?>
The survey "was conducted according to professional research standards", said SPH in a statement which explained in detail how the sample was obtained and the methodology used.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.