[MyAppleMenu] May 25, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 25 21:05:01 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, May 25, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Gates, Jobs, Other Tech Stars To Convene In Carlsbad (Bradley J. Fikes, North County Times)
<http://www.nctimes.net/news/2003/20030525/62745.html>
Carlsbad becomes the world's technology capital for three days this week when Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Barry Diller and other prominent technology and media leaders assemble for a major conference. The Tuesday-Thursday conference, called "D: All Things Digital" is billed as an intimate glimpse of the thoughts of tech luminaries.

Foiling Music Pirates (Michael Booth, Denver Post)
<http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~78~1409754,00.html>
Somehow, when it comes to music, many people see pricing as a moral issue in addition to a consumer issue.

Overcoming IEEE 802.11g's Interoperability Hurdles (Menzo Wentink, Tim Godfrey and Jim Zyren, Communication Systems Design)
<http://www.commsdesign.com/csdmag/sections/feature_article/OEG20030501S0009>
Early fears of slow network throughput in the presence of 802.11b nodes can be dispelled upon close examination of 802.11g operation.

Image Archiving At The Smithsonian (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/jones/>
"Xserve RAID is such an incredible piece of equipment... It really breaks a price/performance barrier that we haven't seen in this type of storage device before."

Dr David Adelson: Cracking The Cow Code (Joe Cellini, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/science/adelson/>
"Mac OS X has fused the Mac interface that I've always enjoyed with the Unix stuff that I actually use for work."

New Ethernet Offers Quick Trip To The Web (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134806063_ptmacc24.html>
Apple is ahead of the pack in pushing two faster networking ideas: gigabit Ethernet and FireWire as a networking medium.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
The Key To Encryption (Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press)
<http://www.timesdispatch.com/frontpage/MGBW20GQ3GD.html>

Apple's New Online Music Store Is Clearly A Pick To Click (Michael Booth, Denver Post)
<http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~78~1409752,00.html>
Mistakes of the competitors further highlight the potential for Apple.

Wireless Or Not, Technology Allows All Your Computers To Speak To Each Other (Abram Katz, New Haven Register)
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=8117439&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7559&rfi=6>
Windows XP helps you with Network Wizard. Sharing files, folders, printers and other devices is a bit more complicated. Macs and Airports get along well and practically connect themselves.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Who Will Pay For Software? (Dave Winer, DaveNet)
<http://davenet.userland.com/2003/05/24/whoWillPayForSoftware>
For the last few weeks I've been asking anyone who will listen if it isn't weird that our economy is based on software, more and more, yet users don't want to pay for software.

Overcoming IEEE 802.11g's Interoperability Hurdles (Menzo Wentink, Tim Godfrey and Jim Zyren, Communication Systems Design)
<http://www.commsdesign.com/csdmag/sections/feature_article/OEG20030501S0009>
Early fears of slow network throughput in the presence of 802.11b nodes can be dispelled upon close examination of 802.11g operation.

Gartner To Users: Don't Take SCO Suit Lighly (Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/05/23/HNscosuit_1.html>
The possibility that SCO will act on its warning that it may sue Linux users is remote, but companies should nonetheless take steps to protect themselves.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Ill-Suited For Empire (Joseph S. Nye, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33453-2003May23.html>
Those who openly welcome the idea of an American empire mistake the underlying nature of American public opinion.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Rooting For The Robot (Reed Johnson, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-ca-johnson25may25.story>
In the battle between man and machine, which has more soul? Science fiction has disturbing answers.

The Writing Life (Paul Theroux, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28809-2003May22.html>
I am possessed by the great gnawing fear of every writer, that if anatomize the craft of fiction writing, I might never write another word of fiction again. Writing travel. I can talk about that. I have certain guidelines.

Britwits (Dave Barry, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28223-2003May22.html>
It's time for an update on the British art world, which, as far as I can tell, exists mainly to provide me with materials.

Buried Treasure (Jonathan Reynolds, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/25/magazine/25FOOD.html>
Just because they're common doesn't mean potatoes can't be special.

There's No Exit From The Matrix (Frank Rich, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/25/arts/25RICH.html>
The genius of the P.R. strategy was its exploitation of the original film's geeky cult status as a thinking kid's kung fu extravaganza.

Prospecting For Gold Among The Photo Blogs (Sarah Boxer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/25/arts/design/25BOXE.html>
Thousands of photo bloggers post their work on the Internet, hoping that strangers will come look at them and comment.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Health Forms? Fever Checks Enough - MOH (Lee Hui Chieh, Crystal Chan and Sherwin Low, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,190999,00.html?>
Temperature checks are enough and health declarations are unnecessary 'outside of patient care settings', says the Ministry of Health.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.