[MyAppleMenu] May 5, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 5 21:05:01 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, May 5, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Sells Over 1 Million Songs In The First Week (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/05/05/itunesmusic/>
"In less than one week we've broken every record and become the largest online music company in the world," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple In Court Battle Over Reseller (Simon Hayes, THe Australian)
<http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6387290%255E15319,00.html>
Apple Computer Australia will be back in court in July pursuing an attempt to have the liquidator of the failed reseller Buzzle removed, alleging he is "clearly not acting in the interests of all creditors".

Apple Stock Jumps On News Of Strong Music Sales (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/05/05/aapl>
Shares of Apple rose more than 11 percent Monday, gaining US$1.64 to $16.09 each on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

EA Announces The Sims 2 (Tuncer Deniz, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=7588>
The Sims 2 will allow players to control their Sims over an entire lifetime. The Sims 2 will also feature genetics, allows the DNA of Sims to be passed down through generations.

Apple Squashes E-Store ID Bug (Brian McWilliams, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,58718,00.html>
Apple Computer said it fixed a security flaw at its online store late last week that could have enabled attackers to hijack customers' accounts and place fraudulent orders.

AppleWorks 6.2.7 International English Available (Ron Carlson, Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=2078>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple's Song And Dance (Rick Aristotle Munarriz, Motley Fool)
<http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2003/commentary030505ram.htm>
Apple's new digital music service may be the most liberal of legal alternatives, but it's also much grander than that. For a company struggling for switchers, it may finally have uncovered the killer app that will bring the world to its door. Good vibes. Great timing. Apple has emerged as not only the prerecorded music industry's ideal middleman but also its last potential savior.

Apple Has Right Spin On Music (Tyler Hamilton, The Star)
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1051643376730&call_pageid=968350072197&col=969048863851>
Well, until I can buy a tune from Canada for a true Canadian loonie, I'll sit back and watch Mr. Jobs perform his magic.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
LaCie DVD Rewritable Drive (Mike Hirschkorn, MacUser UK)
<http://macuser.pcpro.co.uk/?reviews/reviews_story.php?id=41706>
If you're looking for an external DVD recorder, you'll find little to beat the LaCie DVD Rewritable Drive.

First Impressions: 30 GB iPod (Stephen Banks, O'Grady's PowerPage)
<http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10961>
The biggest trick is that none of the buttons are really buttons at all but touch sensitive areas, and boy are they sensitive.

'Aquarium' Is A Delight, But 'Everblue' Lacks Depth (Gene Emery, Reuters)
<http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=2680089>
"Marine Aquarium" offers the joys of having your own aquarium without the worries of overfeeding the fish or cleaning the tank.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Linux Desktop Myths Exploded (James Maguire, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/21431.html>
"Supported versions of Linux are not free," Gartner analyst Michael Silver notes. Consumer versions of Linux are basically free, but "enterprises that require vendor support for their client OS will need to pay for it."

Power-Line Group To Plug In Audio-Video (Richard Shim, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2110-1035_3-999758.html?type=pt&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news>
The HomePlug Powerline Alliance, an industry group promoting home networking over power lines, said Monday it has begun taking proposals from companies interested in developing an audio-video streaming specification. The new specification, to be called HomePlug AV, will be for the distribution of data and multistream entertainment, including high-definition and standard-definition television.

AOL Shareholder Wants Case Off Board (Lisa M. Bowman, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2100-1032_3-999786.html?type=pt&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news>
AOL Time Warner's largest institutional shareholder plans to vote against the re-election of three board members, including Chairman Steve Case, according to a report.

SuSE Safe From SCO Attacks (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-999620.html>
An agreement with SCO Group protects Linux seller SuSE from legal action stemming from SCO's accusation that Unix software was copied into Linux, SuSE said.

IT Start-Ups Still Hiring (Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2100-1022_3-999592.html?type=pt&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news>
Some information-technology start-ups continue to hire despite the economic downturn, according to Deloitte & Touche's Technology Fast 500 CEO survey, set for release Monday.

Finding Solution To Secret World Of Spam (Saul Hansell, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/05/technology/05SPAM.html>
"To those who would stand back and criticize, I say 'come on down and try to pass your bill if you think it looks so easy.'"

America's Broadband Dream Is Alive In Korea (Ken Belson with Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/05/business/worldbusiness/05BROA.html>
By embracing broadband so heartily, Koreans have turned their country into a test case for the visionaries who, just a few years ago, imagined a future of nearly infinite digital possibilities. While those dreams have hit speed bumps in the United States and elsewhere, South Korea — with Japan not far behind — is racing ahead.

Labels Reportedly Back Antipiracy Software (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-999612.html>
Some of the world's largest record labels are quietly financing the creation of programs by small software firms that, if deployed, would sabotage the computers and Internet connections of people who download pirated music, according to a published report.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Birth Pangs (Richard Leiby, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13718-2003May4.html>
As a new era dawns in Baghdad, life goes on -- sometimes, just barely.

The Thinkable (Bill Keller, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/magazine/04NUKES.html?pagewanted=all&position=>
A dozen years after the Soviet Union crumbled, nuclear weapons have not receded to the margins of our interest, as many expected. On the contrary, in this second nuclear age, such weapons govern our foreign policy more than they have in decades.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Aggressive Steps Help U.S. Avoid SARS Brunt (John M. Broder, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/05/national/05SARS.html>
The U.S. has escaped the full fury of the SARS epidemic, in part because of aggressive public health measures and in part because of sheer luck.

A Humanist's Sojourn Among Scientists (Leonard Cassuto, The Chrnoicle Of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i34/34b00501.htm>
The nature of our work makes it easy to open our doors and share that work. We can start doing so in the simplest way: by being nicer.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
A Small Token Of Our Affection (Paula Span, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14165-2003May4.html>
The finale was, to be honest, a bit anticlimactic. No grand gestures or valedictories as Saturday turned to Sunday and a 50-year transit tradition vanished.

Please Pass The Trichinosis (John Powers, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2003/0504/inperson.htm>
My wife and I concur on most things -– money, household priorities, politics, movies, restaurants, vacation spots. Yet after 29 years of marriage, we still don't agree on how long to cook a piece of pig meat. One man's pink, it seems, is another woman's poison.

Our Baby Daughter Came From China (Amanda Brookes, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2682-669609,00.html>
It was a long haul, both geographically and emotionally, before the family could meet their adoptive little girl. This contributor kept a diary on the journey to collect Xiu Yan from Nanchang.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
No-Visitor Rule May Be Relaxed (Sharmilpal Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,187054,00.html?>
If the infection situation remains stable, the ban at public hospitals may be relaxed by the end of this month.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Wholesale Market Reopens With Screening Stations (Sharmilpal Kaur, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,187108,00.html?>
New measures put in place after the reopening will mean that doing business at the centre will take longer. Three screening stations have been set up for temperature checks and to check the health declaration forms of all those going into the centre.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.