[MyAppleMenu] May 4, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 4 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, May 4, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Not The Same Old Song (Steven Levy, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/908989.asp?cp1=1>
Amazon was caught sleeping, and now it?s Steve Jobs who?s running the coolest store on the Internet.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Group Hopes To Leapfrog 802.11 For Wireless Video (Rick Merritt, EE Times)
<http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20030502S0060>
A working group quietly kicked off an effort this week to bring the 1394 protocol over 802.15.3 wireless networks. Backers hope the approach could leapfrog efforts on 802.11 to provide a route for consumer electronics companies to send high quality video signals over wireless home networks.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Jobs' Performance, Especially On iPod, iTunes, Keeps Apple Shining (James Coates, Chicago Tribune)
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0305030286may04,1,7912316.column?coll=chi%2Dtechnology%2Dhed>
It's clear why he is CEO for life.

iTunes: Easier Than Stealing? (Philip Burrowes, The Tech)
<http://www-tech.mit.edu/V123/N23/mosnow23.23c.html>
Maybe it?s not just a Trojan Horse into the Wintel world, but one into the the music industry itself. No wonder Apple didn?t buy Universal; why buy the cow when you can steal its calves?

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
24 Hours With The New iPod (James Duncan Davidson, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3160>
I'm glad one came home with me in the car last night. But I'm not looking forward to waiting for the various accessories to become available.

Windows Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Tom Yager, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/05/02/18OPcurve_1.html>
My wife chides me for carrying a PowerBook everywhere I go. My editors are sick of seeing mention of the Mac in almost all                                  of my columns. My 18-month-old son walks around the house babbling ?Apple-Apple-Apple-Apple.?

Third-Party Products Fill Out Basic Mac Needs (Linda Knapp, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134688240_ptmacside03.html>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Technology Hits A Midlife Bump (Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/business/yourmoney/04TECH.html>
The winnowing of the corporate population is just one sign that the information technology industry is maturing in ways that will affect technology companies, their customers and investors for years to come. But what's painful for Silicon Valley is beneficial for those who use the stuff it produces.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
See Google (Mary Anne Ostrom and Matt Marshall, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/5782580.htm>
In Silicon Valley, the Mountain View company is the hottest private company around, with a good shot at becoming a business legend like Netscape, Apple or eBay.

Group Hopes To Leapfrog 802.11 For Wireless Video (Rick Merritt, EE Times)
<http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20030502S0060>
A working group quietly kicked off an effort this week to bring the 1394 protocol over 802.15.3 wireless networks. Backers hope the approach could leapfrog efforts on 802.11 to provide a route for consumer electronics companies to send high quality video signals over wireless home networks.

Anti-Spam Panel: Proposed Laws Aren't Enough (Grant Gross, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/05/02/HNspam_1.html>
Two proposals aiming to curb unwanted commercial e-mail currently being discussed in the U.S. Congress won't                                     go far enough toward eliminating spam, several members of a panel of antispam advocates said Friday at a forum at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Whither The Lawn (Preston Lerner, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-lawn18may04,1,6472303.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dmagazine>
What Southern California's booming population and looming water crisis mean for the great green carpet of suburbia.

In Miami, A Bus stop For Broken Marriages (Manuel Roig-Franzia, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11081-2003May3.html>
Need a transfer to singlehood? Go to the end of the line.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.