[MyAppleMenu] Mar 20, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 20 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, Mar 20, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Xserve Is A Tasty Server (Steven Schuchart Jr., Network Computing)
<http://www.networkcomputing.com/1405/1405sp3.html>
The Xserve is a worthy little machine that's easy to manage, configure and install.

iPod Software Update Improves Battery Management (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/03/19/ipod>
"This update enables the iPod to more accurately monitor its battery charge, thus using the entire battery capacity and regaining long battery life."

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Enhances Corporate Governance (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/03/20/apple>
Apple today announced that its Board of Directors yesterday approved several measures to enhance corporate governance.

Apple To Unveil Digital Video Strategy At NAB (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/20.applenab.php>

Bondi Blue Memories (Shane Schick, ITBusiness.ca)
<http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?theaction=61&sid=51741>
It's too bad the iMac's trend-setting design couldn't evolve beyond its 15-inch screen size and survive the desktop market pressures.

Thusby Offers DoubleTalk Users Special DAVE Price (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/20.thursby.php>

Wireless Hits The (Hot) SPot (David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun)
<http://www.sunspot.net/technology/custom/pluggedin/bal-mac032003,0,5290226.column>
As Apple launches its next generation of 'Wi-Fi' products, the computer maker is confident it can adapt to potential compatibility issues.

Free Jaguar Training Offered To .Mac Members (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/03/19/mac>

Slide Showdown: Apple Bites Into Microsoft's Territory With Keynote, Its Answer To PowerPoint For OS X (Ian Austen, Canadian Business Magazine)
<http://www.canadianbusiness.com/technology/article.jsp;jsessionid=GHMKHCKJKKHI?content=20030317_52510_52510>
Keynote is a serious challenger to PowerPoint. And it may give some people--at least those who travel and make presentations--a reason to buy a jumbo-screen Apple PowerBook, beyond bragging rights.

Aladdin Reports Year-End Profit Of $618K (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/19.aladdin.php>
Aladdin CEO Jonathan Kahn attributed his company's return to profitability to strong fiscal control coupled with good consumer response to Aladdin's new products.

Bare Bones Releases Super Get Info 1.1 (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/03/19/barebones>

Al Gore Joins Apple's Board (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1042-993332.html>
An Apple representative would not say when Gore switched back to a Mac.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple's Foreign Affair (Richard Newman, MacWrite)
<http://www.macwrite.com/yourturn/apples-foreign-affair.php>
It is unacceptable and counterproductive to have such ludicrous regional price differences.

An Unusual Week For Apple (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#gore>
If Apple sends teams of salespeople to firms referred by the former vice president, maybe we'll begin to see lots of Xserves and Macs penetrating the business market.

Designing Bad Software (Marc Zeedar, MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/tangible/03/03/19/index.html>
It was while I was attempting to explain Print Center that I realized how stupidly it is designed.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Hands-On: Apple's PowerBook 17 Stretches 'Laptop' Moniker (Ken Mingis, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,79544,00.html?SKC=macos-79544>
For day-to-day travel on planes, trains and automobiles, the PowerBook 12 is the better option. If you want no compromise desktop performance in a package you can still take with you if you must, the 17-in. model will put a smile on your face.

No One Lives Forever (John Lee, MacAddict)
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0303/rev.nolf.html>
Altogether, Cate stars in an excellent package, full of stylish locations, well-crafted dialogue, splendid voice talent, a strong plot, a campy dose of nostalgia, and wickedly wry humor.

A Text Mystery Takes Gaming Back 20 Years (Associated Press)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/personal_technology/5430688.htm>
That Nepstad, who made the game entirely by himself, brought the fair so vividly to life is an achievement more impressive because there is not a single piece of animation or motion-capture video in the game. "A World's Fair Mystery" is a text adventure.

Universe 5.0: Venerable 3-D-Animation Software Adds Match Moving, Multiprocessor Support To Its Galaxy Of Features (Sean Wagstaff, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/03/reviews/universe5/>
Electric Image's Universe 5.0 may not be the ultimate 3-D tool, but it does provide an undeniably fast, efficient way for average users to do the type of 3-D animation they do most often: propel ships through outer space, position animated buildings and vehicles on a real-world street, and make logos and graphics fly through commercials.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
For Laptops, A New Way To Say 'Fast' (David Pogue, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/technology/circuits/20stat.html>
Intel's new Centrino chip for laptops is very fast and dramatically improves battery life, but not everyone will need it.

Microsoft Warns Of New Windows Flaw (Dennis Fisher, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,941462,00.asp>
Microsoft Corp. has released a patch for a critical vulnerability in every version of Windows from 98 forward.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
A Medium Meets Its War (Leslie Walker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56322-2003Mar19.html>
Never before have Internet news sites been so prepared for events so uncertain.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Microsoft .Net Compact Framework Readied (Stephen Lawson, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/03/19/HNcompact_1.html>
Microsoft Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates on Wednesday will announce the worldwide launch of .Net Compact Framework, a tool that lets developers bring Microsoft's .Net technology to mobile devices, according to a company executive.

War's Onset Spikes Web Traffic (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1028-993433.html>
The U.S. strike against Iraq led to a jump in traffic on the Internet, which is expected to become the major source of information on the conflict for many people.

Gates Woos Developers For Wireless (Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-993356.html>
Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates Wednesday unveiled plans to help developers more easily create applications for mobile devices that use the company's operating system software.

Hiding Is The Best Way To Beat Spam (Lisa M. Bowman, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-993333.html>
You might want to act like a criminal on the lam: Change your name, use a variety of identities and stay out of sight.

Intel Hammering Out Robot Standards (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1008-993385.html>
Intel is developing standards for building inexpensive robots that eventually could automatically inspect industrial equipment or take aerial photographs.

Making A Statement, In Absentia (Joyce Cohen, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/technology/circuits/20away.html>
Among college students, the "away message" is a form of communication, entertainment, procrastination and social life rolled into one.

Feds Think Big When It Comes To IT Services (Eric Chabrow, InformationWeek)
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20030319S0013>
Federal spending on IT services soared from 1997 to 2001, according to the General Accounting Office.

Google Broadens Search Overseas (Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1032-993335.html>
Google said Wednesday that it licensed its search technology to Daum Communications, operator of one of the largest South Korean Web sites, in its latest competitive move overseas.

Security Hole Found In Linux (Sephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1016-993278.html>
Programmers disclosed a security hole this week in a part of the heart of the Linux operating system that could let users of a machine take it over even if they don't have privileges to do so.

W3C Unveils Its Patent Plans (Lisa M. Bowman, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1013-993283.html>
The World Wide Web Consortium has released what it hopes will be the final draft of its patent policy as it tries to create a mostly royalty-free environment for Web standards development.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The President's Real Goal In Iraq (Jay Bookman, The Atlanta Journal-Constituion)
<http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/opinion/0902/29bookman.html>
This war is intended to mark the official emergence of the United States as a full-fledged global empire, seizing sole responsibility and authority as planetary policeman. It would be the culmination of a plan 10 years or more in the making, carried out by those who believe the United States must seize the opportunity for global domination, even if it means becoming the "American imperialists" that our enemies always claimed we were.

After The Shooting Stops, Dreams Of Politicians Often Fall Apart (Mark Mazower, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-war-oemazower20mar20,1,3879628.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Will the architects of this war be more successful in shaping the course of events than their predecessors in the early 20th century? Or are they committing an act of monumental folly? One thing is certain: They have changed the way the U.S. is perceived around the world forever.

Move To War Leaves Some Feeling Alienated (Dean E. Murphy, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/international/worldspecial/20WEST.html>
As Americans braced in recent days for a war against Iraq, many Californians were feeling strangely out of it. The great expanse between the two coasts appeared ever vaster. The sense of threat, so acute in the East, was real but less immediate here.

Ready For The Peace? (Bob Herbert, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/opinion/20HERB.html>
Is it a good idea to liberate the people of Iraq from the clutches of a degenerate like Saddam Hussein? Sure. But there were better, less dangerous, ways to go about it.

Oil, Intimidation, Rage - Why We Are Really At War (Anatole Kaletsky, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,482-617103,00.html>
To get closer to the truth, we must focus not on the probable consequences of this war, which will almost certainly be benign for the Iraqi people, but on America’s motives.

Beyond The Sandstorm (Timothy Garton Ash, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,917856,00.html>
Three visions of the future compete. Blair's is best, but can it ever be realised?

This War Is Brought To You By... (Pepe Escobar, Asia Times)
<http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/EC20Ak07.html>
For all the president's (sales)men, the whole game is about global preeminence, if not unilateral world domination - military, economic, political and cultural. This may be an early 21st century replay of the "white man's burden". Or this may be just megalomania. Either way, enshrined in a goal of the Bush administration, it cannot but frighten practically the whole world, from Asia to Africa, from "old Europe" to the conservative establishment within the US itself.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
A Medium Meets Its War (Leslie Walker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56322-2003Mar19.html>
Never before have Internet news sites been so prepared for events so uncertain.

Making A Statement, In Absentia (Joyce Cohen, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/technology/circuits/20away.html>
Among college students, the "away message" is a form of communication, entertainment, procrastination and social life rolled into one.

Iraq War Could Send German Cars In Wrong Direction: Club (AFP)
<http://www.spacedaily.com/2003/030318154133.7p1uva5u.html>
Drivers whose cars are equipped with a global positioning system (GPS) may be the first to know when war breaks out against Iraq, a German automobile club said Tuesday.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The War? We'd Rather Watch The Simpsons (Mary Ann Sieghart, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-616509,00.html>
Children are pretty phlegmatic, and I have not noticed mine feeling any more anxious as war looms. For them it is a pretty abstract proposition in a faraway country, worthy of debate but barely impinging on their lives.

Why It's Best To Tell The Truth (Minna Daum, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-616507,00.html>
>From today our children will be unable to escape the images of death and destruction that are the inevitable result of war. When they ask why, how should we respond? By being honest, a family therapist says.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Morning At The Neretva River, November 8, 1993. (Joy Dworkin)
<http://www.poetsagainstthewar.org/displaypoem.asp?AuthorID=12362>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Not Adopting Common Stand On Iraq Not Unusual - Singapore (Bernama)
<http://www.bernama.com.my/B2002/news.shtml?general/ge1903_6>
Asean countries had different positions on the issue, and as such, it was not the intention of the grouping to forge a common position at the Asean-Foreign Ministers' Informal Meeting, here.

And Just When Chiam's Away... (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,178139,00.html?>
The one Budget debate that Mr Chiam See Tong (Potong Pasir) gave up on pushing for smaller class sizes turned out to be the year the Ministry of Education gave in.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.