[MyAppleMenu] Mar 19, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 19 21:05:01 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Former Vice President Al Gore Joins Apple's Board Of Directors (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/03/19/gore>
"Al is also an avid Mac user and does his own video editing in Final Cut Pro."

Michael Black: Flying Into The Storm (Nancy Eaton, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/science/black/>
"We have the capability of using the Macs to do more with the data we collect from instruments on board. Where before, we were talking about these big workstations, big CPUs with big screens, the PowerBooks do so much and they do it fast. It’s really changed things."

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
District Weighs Apples Vs PCs (Rowena Coetsee, Contra Costa Times)
<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california/counties/contra_costa_county/cities_neighborhoods/antioch/5427584.htm>
Deputy Superintendent of Business Services Jerry Macy has suggested that trustees hold off on deciding whether to replace all the district's Apple Macintosh computers with Windows-based personal computers until a committee has examined the issue more thoroughly.

OS X 10.2.4 Bug Exposes .Mac Passwords (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/18827>

"Droo" Tokuda: Enhancing A Magazine Via DVD (Amanda Iles, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/tokuda/>
"DVD Studio Pro is very 'drag-and-drop,' which is extremely important for creative people. It’s like the difference between Web developers who do code and Web developers who use a WYSIWYG user interface: we’re not code jockeys."

Adam Stern: Visual Effects & High-End Editing (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/stern/>
"With the Mac, directors and editors can watch the whole thing coming together in front of their eyes; it's a new way of looking at the process."

Apple Store Coming To Huntington Station, NY (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/18822>

Apple Is Wireless Winner (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6103>
Apple won praise for "showing the industry that Wi-Fi is cost-effective for mass adoption and for leading 802.11g implementation".

6 Years Ago: Apple Wishes Happy B-Day To Mac (Jim Davis, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-278115.html>
Apple Computer formally unveiled its 20th Anniversary Macintosh today. The limited edition desktop computer has a unique flat-panel design made of metal and leather.

Educators Tune Into Computer Power (William Hermann, The Arizona Republic)
<http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0319asuconference19.html>
The "computers in the classroom" revolution that stalled in the 1990s finally has arrived.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple Jipps North Of The Border Buyers (Trevor Harrison, MacWrite)
<http://www.macwrite.com/harrisonfiles/apple-jipps-north.php>
Lets hope that Apple adjusts the prices in Canada soon to reflect the ever rising Canadian Dollar.

Apple Switch (John C. Dvorak, PC Magazine)
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939886,00.asp>
Prediction: Apple Computer Corp. will switch to Intel processors within the next 12 to 18 months.

The Strong Value Of The Lombard PowerBook G3 (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/macdan/03/0319dk.html>
If you plan on using OS X on a laptop, Lombard is a better machine than WallStreet, and the 333 MHz model is a particularly good value.

Poll: 55% Trust Apple Updates (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6107>
Over half of Macworld Online readers (55 per cent) have total faith in Apple's updates and install them straight away.

What Apple Can Learn From The Cell Phone Industry (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#cell>
To get a foothold into a large company, Apple sells the hardware real cheap, if you buy a service contract.

Political Column On "Community" Sites (Damien A. Barrett)
<http://www.mrbarrett.com/mt/archives/2003_03_17.html#000594>
Web sites shouldn't be surprised when people complain and even stop reading their sites.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Solid As A Rock (Mike Lee, Straits Times)
<http://computertimes.asiaone.com.sg/v2/revw01.shtml>
Don't let the 12.1-inch Powerbook G4's size fool you. There are no compromises on its speed or features.

Inside Samba: Windows Sharing For The Mac (Jason Deraleau, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/03/18/samba.html>
Beginning with 10.1, Apple started shipping support for the SMB protocol in Mac OS X. SMB is the protocol used by Windows machines to provide file and print sharing in a local area network.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
U.S. Army, Other Web Servers Were Attacked Through Windows 2000 Security Flaw (George V. Hulme, InformationWeek)
<http://www.internetweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=7900051>
The flaw could allow an attacker to gain complete control of vulnerable systems, experts warn.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
New Cell Phones Smarter, More Fun (Elisa Batista, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,58085,00.html>
Vendors have done away with voice-only phones and are betting that consumers will pay a little extra to have a PDA, GameBoy or a digital camera -- or all three -- built into their wireless handsets.

HP, Red Hat Tighten Linux Ties (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-993157.html>
Hewlett-Packard and Red Hat will announce a tighter alliance Wednesday that both companies hope will boost sales of servers running the Linux operating system.

We'd Love To Go Wireless But What About Security? (John Leyden, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/29803.html>
European businesses are keen to embrace wireless technologies, in all their flavours, but doubts about security are continuing to act as a brake on wider usage of wireless LANs.

LindowsOS PC Challenges Windows, Mac (Ian Johnson, Globe And Mail)
<http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030318.gtbrickMar18/GTStory>
Computers based on the low-cost and controversial LindowsOS operating system made their debut in Canada earlier this month, marking the upstart OS's first major challenge outside the United States against Microsoft and Apple-based hardware.

A Decent Article On Google... (Dana Blankenhorn, Moore's Lore)
<http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/20030301.shtml#25597>
The story of Google is right out of the 1950s and 1960s, before big money poisoned the atmosphere. These folks are doing something cool, something they want to be proud of, and that counts for something.

Today's War-Covering Technology, Tomorrow's Routine Journalism Tools (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/000865.shtml#000865>
Anything we big-company journalists use today will be in mass hands in a few years.

Survey: Linux Draws Windows Developers (Darryl K. Taft, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,938071,00.asp>
Evans Data Corp., of Santa Cruz, Calif., said the results of a recent survey the company conducted show that more than half of the new Linux developers surveyed said they used to be primarily Windows developers—to the tune of 52 percent, while only 30 percent said they came from a Unix background.

Microsoft Matusow: No Right Way To Create Software (Darryl K. Taft, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,938708,00.asp>
The head of Microsoft Corp.'s Shared Source Initiative Tuesday said he foresees a world of coexistence where no one software development and distribution model wins.

Online Music Pirates Dodge Capture (BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2860757.stm>
Internet service providers determined to clamp down on file-sharing are fighting a losing battle, say analysts.

Wireless Visions Collide (Stephen Lawson, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/03/18/HNctiakeynotes_1.html>
Wireless executives at a Tuesday morning keynote session here at the CTIA Wireless show looked toward ubiquitous high-speed services and new ways of using phones, but some disagreed as to how those services will be delivered.

Who Is Godot In The Java World? (Peter Judge, ZDNet UK)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-993041.html>
The JCP legal effort, led by Deutsch, has painstakingly moved Java on to a constitutional monarchy. The old king, Sun, still has a veto on the server edition and enterprise edition Java standards, and holds the patents for the software.

Danger Shows Off Color-Screen 'Hiptop' (Richard Shim, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041-993087.html>
Danger executives demonstrated a prototype of a "Hiptop" device with a color screen at a gathering of the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved a hiptop product Tuesday, which sources say is the same device Danger showed off at the show.

Boingo, T-Mobile Team On Wireless Roaming (Richard Shim, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1039-993121.html>
The two companies are co-developing software and services to make it easier for their customers to access the wireless Internet through Wi-Fi hot spots and GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) cellular networks.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
How To Tell If We're Winning In Iraq (Fred Kaplan, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2080341/>
A score card for the first few days.

See No Evil (Edward W. Lempinen, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2003/03/19/left/>
Progressives have lots of arguments against the war on Iraq -- some of them compelling. But why aren't they burning to free Saddam's oppressed masses?

Pro Or Anti-War, We Should Cherish Our Differences (Mafoot Simon, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,177902,00.html?>
Let them pray... and be heard.

Delivering Dominoes (Claudia Rosett, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/cRosett/?id=110003216>
Those who know the Mideast should help democracy along.

A Last, Grim Look At Gaza (Rachel Corrie, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-corrie19mar19,1,724699.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
I have been in Palestine for two weeks and one hour now, and I still have very few words to describe what I see.

Addressing The Naysayers (George F. Will, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49827-2003Mar18.html>
The president demonstrated Monday night that he understands a tested political axiom: If you do not like the news, make some of your own.

Blair In Agony (Anne Applebaum, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49823-2003Mar18.html>
Until now, Blair has always tried to play by the rules of multilateral Europe and to back the United States. Now he knows that he can't have it both ways, and his agony shows on his face.

9/11 Families Fight Tears And A New Year (David Montgomery, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50010-2003Mar18.html>
"It's very insulting to hear President Bush say this is for September 11."

D-Day (Thomas L.Friedman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/19/opinion/19FRIE.html>
Having more allied support in rebuilding Iraq will increase the odds that we do it right, and because if the breach that has been opened between us and our traditional friends hardens into hostility, we will find it much tougher to manage both Iraq and all the other threats down the road.

We're Not All Peaceniks -- But You Wouldn't Know It (David Aaronovitch, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,916207,00.html>
Even so, it is one thing (and far from dishonourable) to refuse to support the war because it has not been given the official seal of approval by the UN. It is quite another actively to oppose an operation which will have the effect of removing one of the worst and most violent tyrannies in the world.

Trust tony's Judgment (Bill Clinton, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,916233,00.html>
Blair is in a position not of his own making, because Iraq and other nations were unwilling to follow the logic of 1441.

See Men Shredded, Then Say You Don't Back War (Ann Clwyd, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3284-614607,00.html>
I do not have a monopoly on wisdom or morality. But I know one thing. This evil, fascist regime must come to an end.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
In Click Languages, An Echo Of The Tongues Of The Ancients (Nicholas Wade, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/18/science/social/18CLIC.html>
A new genetic study underlines the extreme antiquity of a special group of languages, raising the possibility that their distinctive feature was part of the ancestral human mother tongue.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Good Morning, New York: Eggs Over Easy, Business On The Side (Florence Fabricant, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/19/dining/19BREA.html>
All over New York, in restaurants that are better known for lunch or dinner, breakfast is becoming increasingly important.

A Trip ToThe Heart Of Dim Sum (R.W. Apple Jr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/19/dining/19HONG.html>
Hong Kong, which has about 10,000 places to eat, probably more per capita than any other city, is utterly obsessed with dim sum, and no place else comes close to offering dim sum of equal excellence and variety. This is dim sum nirvana.

Late Night TV Hosts Cultivate War neutrality (Paul Farhi, Washington Post)
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/5396039.htm>
They're not exactly for it, nor are they solidly against it, either. They are, it seems, on both sides at once. They're the comedic equivalent of Switzerland. And proud of it.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Portrait Of The Author After X-Ray (Jillian Weise, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/poetry/antholog/weise/xray.htm>

Fast Foods: A Rap Rondeau (W. D. Snodgrass, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/poetry/antholog/snodgrass/fastfoods.htm>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
OK To Run Your 'Quiet' Business In HDB Home (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,177852,00.html?>
National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan said that small-scale businesses that do not generate much traffic and which are not noisy and pollutive will be allowed to operate from homes.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Smaller Primary 1 And 2 Classes; Single Sessions For Pri 3 To Pri 6 (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/35174/1/.html>
Education Minister Teo Chee Hean said primary school classes would become smaller and there will be a partial single session for Government Primary 3 to Primary 6 classes.

Pro Or Anti-War, We Should Cherish Our Differences (Mafoot Simon, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,177902,00.html?>
Let them pray... and be heard.

China Visitors Richer Than HDB Folk (Toh Han Shih, Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/views/story/0,4567,75729,00.html?>
The Chinese who can afford to fly to Singapore are generally much richer than their poor fellow citizens.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.