[MyAppleMenu] Jun 18, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 18 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Stock Jumps On Analyst Upgrade (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/06/18/aapl>
Shares of Apple hit a 52-week high Wednesday after Charles Wolf of Needham & Co. upgraded the Mac maker to "buy" from "hold," citing strong iPod sales and a potential Power Mac rebound.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Sony Unveils Fingerprint Identity Package For OS X (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/06/18/sonypuppy>
The package is an easy-to-use solution for securing access to desktops, Web sites and other critical applications.

Making The Cut: Producing A TV Series On The Mac (Ric Getter, MacDirectory)
<http://www.macdirectory.com/culture/MakingTheCut/index.html>
"We decided to go with Macs for everything and I'm very glad we did."

iPod Muzak Isn't Same Old Song (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59270,00.html>
Instead of piping bland background music over tinny speakers, enterprising music promoters are loading hundreds of hours of hip tunes onto iPods and renting them to restaurants, nightspots, clothing boutiques and hair salons.

More Universities Hosting WWDC Keynote (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/06/17/wwdcuniversities>

Apple Upgraded At Needham & Co (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/06/18/needham>

Mac Advocates Launch New Publication (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-200678.html>
6 Years Ago: Mac Today will hit newsstands later this week that will argue the case that Apple isn't in trouble, it's just misunderstood.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple Sometimes Get It Wrong (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/bullish/2003/06/06-16.htm#wrong>
Apple has had its share of missteps over the years. That the company is still here, however, is a tribute to the brand's mystique and the quality of its products.

iTunes -- The "i" Doesn't Stand For Innovation (Sahar Akhtar, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/06/18/itunes_innovation/index.html>
As songs are increasingly sold one by one online, the musical creativity and risk-taking associated with the album format will decline.

Apple's Real Worry Isn't The Loss Of IE (Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2003/tc20030618_7983_tc056.htm>
Far more daunting is the prospect of Microsoft abandoning the Mac version of its popular Office software. That's because Apple hasn't yet shown it can replace Office for most of its users. And without Office, Apple's whole "switchers" program to convert Windows users will probably run aground.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
First Impressions Of A Low-End eMac (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/03/0618.html>

JBL Invader (Tim Morgan, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=380>
All in all, while certainly a noteworthy 4.1 system, after shelling out $180, it may leave the buyer wishing for a more memorable aural experience.

Reason To Believe... (Walter S. Mossberg, Smart Money)
<http://smartmoney.com/mossberg/index.cfm?story=july03>
Apple store provides a much better experience than bootleg services such as Kazaa -- and it'sguilt-free.

How To Manage Large Image Libraries With iPhoto 2 (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/06/17/iphoto2.html>
iPhoto 2 includes a few key improvements to help manage large image catalogs.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
WiFi Start-Ups Are Thriving (Jon Fortt, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/local/6106092.htm>
Someone forgot to tell the wireless start-ups that Silicon Valley is still in a slump.

Bluetooth To Outship Wi-Fi Five To One -- Report (Tony Smith, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/69/31262.html>
Bluetooth will become the dominant wireless technology, building market share by stealth as the Wi-Fi hotspot bubble bursts, market watcher Forrester Research has forecast.

Companies Get Into Weblog Act (Hiawatha Bray, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/167/business/Companies_get_into_weblog_act+.shtml>
It was bound to happen: Corporate America has discovered the blog.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Affirmative Ambiguity (Robert J. Samuelson, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7633-2003Jun17.html>
Most Americans detest racial and ethnic preferences. But most Americans also don't want a closed society and recognize that past discrimination, particularly slavery and segregation, leaves a heavy legacy. It's this predicament, I think, that inspires so much ambivalence about affirmative action.

Bush's 9/11 Coverup? (Eric Boehlert, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2003/06/18/911/index.html>
Family members of victims of the terror attacks say the White House has smothered every attempt to get to the bottom of the outrageous intelligence failures that took place on its watch.

Former Aide Takes Aim At War On Terror (Laura Blumerfeld, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62941-2003Jun15.html?nav=hptop_tb>
Five days before before the war began in Iraq, as President Bush prepared to raise the terrorism threat level to orange, a top White House counterterrorism adviser called his wife: I'm quitting. Rand Beers' resignation surprised Wsahington, but what he did next was even more astounding.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The Grim Reader (Russ Smith, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110003642>
Needed: a magazine about death.

Now, A Column From Our Sponsors (Brian Lowry, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-threat18jun18,1,2889286.story?coll=la-home-leftrail>
So, in our ongoing efforts to stay on the cutting edge, we bring you a column from our sponsors.

Dog Fight On Sidewalks Of New York (Alex WItchel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/18/dining/18HOTD.html>
Chicago-style hot dogs in New York? Let the debate begin.

A Nose Job Just Scratches The Surface (Alessandra Stanley, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/18/arts/18WATC.html>
What is most interesting about television is not how it exploits a cultural trend, but rather how it can do that and simultaneously accommodate a more old-fashioned variation on the theme.

For Lonely Travelers, TV Is A Faithful Companion (Susan Stellin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/17/business/17TUBE.html?ei=1&en=059993b3e0aae2c2&ex=1056827122&pagewanted=all&position=>
There is a dirty little secret harbored by many business travelers. It is about how much television they watch while holed up alone in their hotel room: apparently, way too much. Some even say they feel powerless to turn it off.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Work Week At The Prep School (Bruce Smith, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2084466/>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Don't Spoil The Market, SIA (Beth Jinks, Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/premiumstory/0,4574,84802,00.html?>
Why not let a new local player take the risk and compete head on with Air Asia by building and nurturing this new market, rather than have SIA spoil it before take-off?

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.