[MyAppleMenu] Jun 17, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 17 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
The Key To Innovation (Sandy McMurray, Globe And Mail)
<http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030617.gtsandyjune17/BNStory/TechReviews/>
For now, the Innovation Advantage belongs to companies that control both hardware and software development. In this regard -- until Microsoft buys HP, or Sony buys Microsoft -- Apple stands alone.

Adventures In Downloading Haydn (Anne Midgette, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/15/arts/music/15MIDG.html>
This isn't all Apple's fault. It's just the way classical music is made.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Director To Speak At Digital Music Event (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/17/jupiter/>
Peter Lowe, Apple's director of marketing for Applications and Services, will be a keynote speaker at the Jupiter Plug.IN Conference & Expo.

University of Winsconsin Hosting WWDC Keynote (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/06/17/uow>

Apple Responds To Microsoft Dropping Internet Explorer (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/17/safari/>
"The Safari beta program has been an incredible success, and we will be releasing Safari 1.0 soon. Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit felt it was a good time to reassign their resources working on IE to the revenue-producing Mac products they are working on, such as the next versions of Office, Entourage (including an Exchange client) and Virtual PC."

Apple To Broadcast Jobs Keynote From WWDC (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/19785>
Apple will provide a live satellite broadcast of Steve Jobs' keynote address from its Worldwide Developers Conference next week.

Apple Store Coming To Burlingame, CA (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/06/17/applestore>

iPod, iTunes Put Apple At Core Of Music Industry (Stephen Williams, Newsday)
<http://www.newsday.com/business/columnists/ny-plgear3335175jun17,0,1252270.column?coll=ny-business-columnists>

Supply Snag Slows Down Mac Cloner (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59275,00.html>
John Fraser's one-mac Mac clone business has been put on hold after a key parts supplier became the target of Apple's legal team.

iTunes Independent-Lables Move (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6457>
Apple has published a Knowledge Base document for musicians wishing to make their music available through iTunes Music Store.

Mac OS X Gains Reporting (Lisa Vaas, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1128836,00.asp>
Sybase is bringing graphical reporting capabilities to the Mac OS X platform.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
The New Void In The Web Browser Market (Stephanie Losi, E-Commerce Times)
<http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/21702.html>
Safari is not currently available for Windows, but a case can be made that Apple could benefit from porting it to the Microsoft platform.

Why I Love The iPod (Gareth McLean, Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,978987,00.html>
When you see someone on the street, white buds in their ears, it's a thrill to know that they are part of the brotherhood. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that my iPod has changed my life.

The Microsoft Watch: Will You Miss Internet Explorer? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#explorer>

Info With A Ball And Chain (Steven Levy, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/926304.asp?cp1=1>
We do need legislative help in keeping DRM under control. But ultimately, its fate will be determined by our own actions.

Microsoft Shows True Color: Yellow (Tig Tillinghast, MediaDailyNews)
<http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_news.cfm?newsID=209439>
We are entering a tech world in which means of distribution trumps marketing and even trumps product quality.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Mask Pro 3 (Gary Coyne, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/maskpro3.shtml>
What Mask Pro offers is more tools to assist the user in the art of extraction.

Aladdin Spring Cleaning 6.0 (Brian Burnham, MacMerc.com)
<http://macmerc.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=63>
Spring Cleaning and its trusty side-kick iClean remain the safest way to scrub out uesless files and polish the performance of your Mac.

TouchStream For 15" PowerBooks (R. Emory Lundberg, O'Grady's PowerPage)
<http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11131>

Chartsmith (Don Briggs, Stepwise.com)
<http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Reviews/2003-06-17.01.html>
It shwos the strengths of Aqua and AppleScript. It follows the UNIX way: simple-seeming but powerful tools that interoperate freely.

Replacing A Power Mac G4 Power Supply (Adam C. Engst, TidBITS)
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07230>
Most everyone else will probably be happy that the new power supply and fan are indeed quieter, even though this replacement won't eliminate jealousy over the silence of the fan-less Power Mac G4 Cube and older iMacs.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft Go Direct To Drive Profits (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-1017954.html>
Microsoft has a new strategy to boost its sales and fend off rivals: go direct.

West virginia Drops Microsoft Appeal (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-1017912.html?tag=fd_top>
West Viriginia's attorney general said Monday he would drop the state's appeal of the landmark Microsoft antitrust settlement, leaving Massachusetts as the final hold-out pushing for stricter sanctions.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Technology Elite Are Focusing Next On Human Body (Amy Harmon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/16/technology/16NECO.html>
If the first phase of the information age celebrated an assortment of virtual realities, the next phase may be all about using technology to reconstitute the body that it never quite succeeded in allowing us to transcend.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Why You Won't Be Getting A Linux PC (Lisa DiCarlo, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/home_asia/2003/06/17/cx_ld_0617linux.html>
Judgin from the holy war being waged by proponents of Linux PCs, it's clear that Linux is becoming the OS/2 of its time.

Lack Of E-Mail Policies Could Put Companies In Hot Water (Greg Keizer, TechWeb)
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10700336>
A new survey says most companies do a poor job of managing their E-mail and aren't prepared to deal with requests for records.

Linux Torvalds Leaves Transmeta (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/31242.html>
Linus Torvalds, creator and chief maintainer of the Linux kernel is moving on, ending a six year association with chip company Transmeta.

Info With A Ball And Chain (Steven Levy, Newsweek)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/926304.asp?cp1=1>
We do need legislative help in keeping DRM under control. But ultimately, its fate will be determined by our own actions.

Can Anyone Stop The Music Cops? (Farhad Manjoo, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/06/17/brownback_bill/index_np.html>
As Hollywood wins one court case after another, one Republican senator is suggesting that maybe it's time for some new laws -- that protect consumers instead of entertainment companies.

Anti-Spam Proposals Get Tougher (Jonathan Krim, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2497-2003Jun16.html>
A bipartisan group of legislators and some citizen groups, concerned that current legislative proposals to combat e-mail spam are inadequate, are engaged in a major push for tougher alternatives.

Airlines Installing In-Flight E-Mail (Joe Sharkey, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/17/business/17MEMO.html>
Answering demand among business travelers, Continental Airlines and United Airlines are rushing to add two-way e-mail to existing in-flight technology supplied by Verizon's Airfone JetConnect.

WLANs Scale, Just Not Easily (John Cox, Network World Fusion)
<http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0616bigwlan.html>
Building the biggest can present a variety of technical challenges.

Massive Growth In Linux Is 'Historic Inevitability' (John Leyden, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/31230.html>
Analysts IDC Research are predicting massive growth in the Linux server market -- and a wider use of open source operating system on desktops -- over the next four years.

Is Tech Really A Victim Of SARS? (Olga Kharif, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2003/tc20030616_1023_tc024.htm>
Many companies are blaming the deadly virus for their less-than-anticipated results. Some analysts see it differently.

4G To The Rescue? (Ephraim Schwartz, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/16/24NN4g_1.html>
With a stunning lack of corporate enthusiasm for wide area wireless, carriers are looking at the next generation to spur adoption.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
'Nano' Suddenly A Gigantic Label (Noah Shachtman, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,59181,00.html>
Nanotechnology has become one of the hottest areas in scientific research, pulling in billions of dollars in government, corporate and foundation cash. But the scientist who coined the term "nanotechnology" says a lot of what passes for nano is just plain ol' science, gussied up with a fancy name to rake in the bucks.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Monumental Folly (Christopher Benfey, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2084429/>
A look at telling absences in art history tells us why not to build a monument at the WTC.

How To Be The Perfect Parent (And Drown Yourself In Guilt) (Howard Markel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/17/health/psychology/17BABY.html>
Child-rearing problems and solutions, of course, have changed considerably over the last century. But one thing has not: in each era, the baby experts have inadvertently inspired a great deal of anxiety among parents already uncertain about their ability to be parents.

Orwell And Me (Margaret Atwood, Guardian)
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,6000,978474,00.html>
Lots of countries have had their versions of it -- their ways of silencing troublesome dissent.

Our Perfect Summer (David Sedaris, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030616fa_fact>
One day, it seemed the right time to have a beach house all our own.

The TV Dinner Turns 50 (Thomas Nord, Courier-Journal)
<http://www.courier-journal.com/features/columns/popculture/2003/20030613pop.html>
After five decades of frozen feasts, should we really be celebrating?

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Original Beauty (Heather Clay, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030616fi_fiction>
There aren't any bathrooms near the pool, and Mitz has to go. As a kid, she felt blessed with an unspoken permission to pee underwater and did so without shame, relishing, even, the warm brush of urine against her thighs as she treaded. Now she knows better. She's eleven--she and Georgette can't believe defilers who pee and swim at the same time.

Love Lessons, Mondays, 9 A.M. (Lara Vapnyar, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030616fi_fiction1>
The principal, Maria Petrovna, was a tall, heavy woman, well over two hundred pounds, with a bottom half that was heavier than the top. The students had nicknamed her the Pear.

City Of Clowns (Daniel Alarcon, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030616fi_fiction2>
When I got to the hospital that morning, I found my mother mopping floors. My old man had died the day before and left an outstanding bill for her to deal with. They'd had her working through the night.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
N-E Line Ready To Roll, But Expect Glitches (Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,195238,00.html?>
Passengers told to expect teething problems when it opens on Friday; Buangkok station wil not open for now.

BG Yeo Turns Down Five-Day Work Week Idea (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,195051,00.html?>
BG Yeo believes that increasingly, Singaporeans need to march to the beat of the world economy, which requires offices to operate round the clock.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Green Buildings -- Easier Said Than Done (Nirmal Kishnani, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,195317,00.html?>

SIA Confirms Lay-Off Plans After Sars Crisis (AFP)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,195183,00.html?>
SIA ocnfirmed on Tuesday that staff retrenchments will be unavoidable as it faces its first-ever quarterly loss following the crippling Sars epidemic.

Bus Fares Set To Go Right On Track (Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,195112,00.html?>
Trial runs on 200 buses fitted with a satelite-based bus tracking system that is supposed to eliminate overcharging when bus drivers forget to update fare stages, could start as early as the end of the month.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.