[MyAppleMenu] Feb 18, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 18 21:05:00 EST 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
6 Years Ago: Steve Jobs: The Next Insanely Great Thing (Gary Wolf, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.02/jobs.html>
Steve Jobs has been right twice. The first time we got Apple. The second time we got NeXT. The Macintosh ruled. NeXT tanked. Still, Jobs was right both times. Although NeXT failed to sell its elegant and infamously buggy black box, Jobs's fundamental insight -- that personal computers were destined to be connected to each other and live on networks -- was just as accurate as his earlier prophecy that computers were destined to become personal appliances. Now Jobs is making a third guess about the future. His passion these days is for objects. Objects are software modules that can be combined into new applications, much as pieces of Lego are built into toy houses.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
7 Years Ago: Toss Your TV: How The Internet Will Replace Broadcasting (Edmund X. Dejesus, Byte)
<http://www.byte.com/art/9602/sec8/art1.htm>
Five-hundred cable channels. Scheduled pay-per-view events. Interactive TV on demand. Who cares? Try an unlimited number of channels. Whatever you want, whenever you want it. From anywhere on the planet. For free.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
8 Years Ago: Billions Of Websites (Dave Winer)
<http://davenet.userland.com/1995/02/18/billionsofwebsites>
Every new website begets more websites. If I have one, I want my friend to have one, so I can point to it. And so they can point to my site. Someday I'll be able to walk a network of friendships, automatically knowing that each of us has mutual friends. It'll be cool.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
The Future Of Humanity (Isaac Asimov)
<http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/future_of_humanity.html>
I hope you see a world in which mankind has decided to be sane. But I must say in all honesty that I figure that the chances are against it.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.