[MyAppleMenu] Sunday, Aug 24, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 24 21:05:01 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Aug 24, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Microsoft Windows: Insecure By Design (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34978-2003Aug23.html>
Between the Blaster worm and the Sobig virus, it's been a long two weeks for Windows users. But nobody with a Mac or a Linux PC has had to lose a moment of sleep over these outbreaks -- just like in earlier "malware" epidemics. This is not a coincidence.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Free iPhoto Training Offered To .Mac Members (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/08/22/iphoto>

Now Software Shutters Minneapolis Office (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/08/22/nowsoftware>
Now Software, makers of the popular Now Up-to-Date & Contact, this week closed their Minneapolis, Minnesota office, laying off all employees.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple Good, PC Bad (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-man/sho-sunday-ebert24.html>
Since many Windows machines look alike, Apple is one of the few manufacturers that can gain by product placement.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Mac Gems: A Dose Of Variety (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/reviews/macgems/>
One of the things I love about using Mac OS X is the amazingly wide variety of software.

Acrobat 6.0 Standard (James Felici, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/reviews/acrobat6standard/>
Acrobat 6.0 may finally make the paperless office and PDF workflow a reality. It's the most comprehensive and wide-ranging upgrade I've seen in my 20 years of experience with publishing software.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
Pixar Fights To Regain Software Dominance (P.J. Huffstutter, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-pixar24aug24,1,219536.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
After turning out a string of movie hits, the firm is renewing its focus on the underlying animation technology it helped pioneer.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Big-Time File Swappers Still At Large (Leslie Walker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34980-2003Aug23.html>
Evidence is popping up that the record industry has millions of Internet music pirates on the run -- but not the heavy-duty song swappers the industry has vowed to prosecute.

Passports And Visas To Add High-Tech Identity Features (Jennifer 8. Lee, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/24/national/24IDEN.html>
Technologies that scan  faces and fingerprints will become a standard part of travel for foreign visitors next year, and for all travelers in the near future.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Can It Be? The End Of Evolution? (Nicholas Wade, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/24/weekinreview/24WADE.html?8hpib>
So where do we go from here? Have we attained perfection and ceased to evolve?

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
On The Roof, Another New York, Above It All (Michael Brick, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/24/nyregion/24ROOF.html?hp>
Even in these days of computer games, conditioned air and liability lawsuits, the people of New York still go to the roof. They charge through security  doors and climb up fire escapes, and nervous landlords or busybody building superintendents are no match.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
Singapore Restructing Holds Lessons For Emerging Asian Economies (Sun Star)
<http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/net/2003/08/24/singapore.restructuring.holds.lessons.for.emerging.asian.economies.(12.15pm).html>
Singapore's all-out effort to restore its competitive edge amid severe cost pressures holds lessons for Asia's emerging economies aiming to become major industrial players, analysts said.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions