[MyAppleMenu] Friday, Aug 15, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 15 21:05:01 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Aug 15, 2003

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Open-Source FTP And SSH Browser For Mac OS X (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/20643>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Note, It's Called "MSblast" Not Mac Blast (Alan Fein, Market Axcess)
<http://www.theaxcess.net/marketaxcess_0814.html>
With a disaster befalling any company that was flawed in its service offering the stock would have tanked, but not MSFT.

Low End Mac's Financial Troubles (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/03/0814.html>
We believe that the level of traffic and the rebound in ad rates will make this possible.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Blaster Rewrites Windows Worm Rules (John Leyden, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32327.html>
Blaster shatters the partially reassuring notion that email-borne nasties are the most significant threat for Harry Homeowner. Now updating patches and using perimeter security, always good ideas, have become prerequisites for Windows users.

New Fears Around Blaster Worm (Reuters)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60029,00.html>
>From Korean housewives unable to order diapers online to government departments forced to shut down computers, Asia grappled on Thursday to contain spreading varieties of a computer worm that threatens to explode over the weekend.

Sour Note To Microsoft Deal (Associated Press)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60028,00.html>
While welcoming the increased choice for music lovers, European Union regulators said the news bolsters their antitrust case against the software giant. Just last week, the EU accused Microsoft of trying to squash competing audiovisual software by including its Media Player with the Windows desktop system.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: Top Stories
---------------------------------
Trademarks (Cory Doctorow, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2003/08/14/trademarks.html>
There is a middle ground between intimidating your customers and defending your trademarks, and we can get there -- if we demand the right advice from our counsel.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Dispelling The Myth Of Wireless Security (Rob Flickenger, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/excerpt/wirlsshacks_chap1/index.html>

2003 A Banner Year For PC Market? (John G. Spooner, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-5063927.html>
Worldwide unit shipments of personal computers could hit a new high in 2003, according to revised estimates from research firm Gartner.

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
People Like us (David Brooks, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2003/09/brooks.htm>
We all pay lip service to the melting pot, but we really prefer the congealing pot.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
What Do Dogs Want? (Jim Holt, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2003/08/10/what_do_dogs_want>
Food? Love? A job? A walk around the block with the new dog literature.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
KL Will Not Oppose Port Tie-Up With Singapore (Brendan Pereira, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,204771,00.html?>
The Malaysian government will not object to a possible tie-up between the Port of Tanjung Pelepas (PTP) and its rival port in Singapore, saying that strategic alliances were needed to compete in a global market.

Singapore Defends Foreign Worker Policy (Associated press)
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/apbiz_story.asp?category=1310&slug=Singapore%20Foreign%20Workers>
Singapore on Thursday defended its controversial policy of hiring foreign workers, saying restricting their entry wouldn't guarantee more jobs for Singaporeans during the nation's worst-ever economic slowdown.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Causeway Bridge To Have Little Impact On Port Here (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,204846,00.html?>

SBS Transit 'Made Mistakes' Over Buangkok Station (Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,204847,00.html?>
Even though the debate has not changed matters for commuters, what emerged was that SBS Transit, which runs the NEL and most of the bus services affected, had made mistakes.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.