[MyAppleMenu] Apr 28, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 28 21:05:01 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Apr 28, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Songs In The Key Of Steve (Devin Leonard, Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,447333,00.html>
Steve Jobs may have just created the first great legal online music service. That's got the record biz  singing his  praises.

Apple Unveils Music Store (John Borland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027-998590.html>
Apple Computer on Monday unveiled its latest line of digital music products, including a long-awaited Internet music store and ultrathin versions of its popular iPod portable MP3 player.

Online Music Service Signals New Direction For Apple Computer (Pui-Wing Tam, Bruce Orwall and Anna Wilde Mathews, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/5691536.htm>
Jobs has long criticized other online music services as difficult to use. Apple's approach, say people who have seen it and spoken to Jobs, is to make delivery of online music easy and intuitive.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Behind The iTunes: Which Celebs Are Fans? (Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/specials/2003/0512/app_crow.html>
Artists go on the record about Apple's new music service.

Inside The iTunes Music Store (Devin Leonard, Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,447310,00.html>
Apple's new digital music service is as simple and straightforward as anything CEO Steve Jobs has ever produced. Here's how it works.

Leader Of The Digital Music Pack? (Devin Leonard, Fortune)
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,447323,00.html>
Apple's competitors dismiss the iTunes Music Store as a niche product. But the real buzz in the music trade is that Steve Jobs has just created what is easily the most promising legal digital music service on the market.

"Apple Features For International Users" Petition Started (Spymac.com)
<http://www.spymac.com/>
Following this morning's 'music to your ears' announcements, a new petition has emerged that challenges Apple's extent of localization in key products.

Apple To Unveil Music Service (Jon Healey, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-apple28apr28221418,1,4465536.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Cloaked in secrecy, Apple's highly anticipated service has generated a healthy buzz among record label executives and music fans.

University Finds Innovative Uses For iPods (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/28/ipodinnovation/>
Using the digital devices and assisted by GC&SU's Electronic Instructional Services (EIS), two interdisciplinary teams developed and deployed curriculum materials on the iPods.

Taking It Online (Chris Gaither, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/118/business/Taking_it_online+.shtml>
When Apple Computer Inc., the small but influential PC maker, launches its foray into digital music downloads today, it carries the hopes of the beleaguered music industry on its shoulders.

Brave New World Of Web Services (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,58632,00.html>
What will the Web look like in 10 years? As rich Internet applications evolve, developers work on powerful new tools that could transform the online world.

Quark Reveals More XPress Details (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6261>
The updated application will offer enhanced pages for Web design, simplified hyperlinks creation and more-comprehensive XML usage than before, Quark said.

Apple Said To be Entering E-Music Fray With Pay Service (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/28/technology/28APPL.html?ex=1052107200&en=f5f45ad3310ef33f&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE>
Unless Apple unveils something radically unexpected, its service will not represent a marked difference from some of the Internet services already in existence. The announcement, however, will bring a big-name company into the mix, presenting a potentially significant change in what has been a tense relationship between consumer electronics makers and the music industry.

Apple Music Service To Go Live (Peter Thal Larsen and Scott Morrison, Financial Times)
<http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1051389541793>
"The real win is not just to curtail piracy but to create a compelling, legitimate alternative."

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Orbz (Jean-Luc Dinsdale, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=369>
The game's visual and aural polish, its mix of action and strategic gameplay, and the choice of Solo or Online gameplay is sure to please a larger gaming audience ignored by a lot of the titles hitting the shelves today. The variety in gameplay, however, doesn't detract from the fact that the game is essentially another computer golfing game, and will fall flat quite quickly with gamers not interested in the Scottish sport.

LapWorks USB Nite Key Lite (Ian Johnson, The Globe And Mail)
<http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030428.gtusblite/GTStory>
The Nite-Key-Lite is a well-made, affordable and useful little gadget that can help shed a little more light on the task at hand.

Thinking Outside The Laptop Box (Stephen H. Wildstrom, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_18/b3831028.htm>
Two factors limit the PowerBook's appeal. The more important -- an insuperable problem for most businesspeople who work in a Windows environment -- is that it operates only Mac software.

The Hydra Collaborative Editor At Work (Robert Kaye, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3112>
I've really enjoyed being a Mac user at this conference. I finally understand what all the fanaticism is all about.

Drive 10: Disk Repair App For OS X Drags Its Feet (John Rizzo, MacHome)
<http://www.machome.com/reviews/display.lasso?grr8=100>
Drive 10 is just not yet mature enough to be ranked with other superior disk utilities like TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior.

The Art Of Dragging And Dropping (Crayton Harrison, Dallas Morning News)
<http://www.kmsb.com/technology/main/042403ccptechmedia.9ed3c.html>
The Apple version, under a suite of software called iLife, is intuitive and user-friendly. The Microsoft Windows software, some of which comes included with Windows XP, is flexible and powerful.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Grants Promoting Unfettered Innovation (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/5728534.htm>
As we move into a Digital Age, it's essential that the foundation community recognize a crucial need: to keep tomorrow's information architecture as open, as free for all to use, as possible.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
IBM Stretches Grid Business (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1010-998429.html>
IBM has expanded its effort to commercialize the formerly academic concept of grids, groups of computers and storage systems linked together to tackle difficult computing tasks.

Brave New World Of Web Services (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,58632,00.html>
What will the Web look like in 10 years? As rich Internet applications evolve, developers work on powerful new tools that could transform the online world.

Asian Governments Push Linux (Tao Ai Lei, Asia Computer Weekly)
<http://www.asiacomputerweekly.com/acw_ViewArt.cfm?Magid=1&Artid=19520&Catid=8&subcat=79>
Linux has received an unexpected boost from Asian governments, which are actively promoting the open source platform.

The Online Way Of Death (Eve Tahmincioglu, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/04/28/online_funerals/>
Log on, click, buy a cremation -- hassle-free funerals are here, thanks to the Net.

Slate Sets A Web Magazine First: Making Money (David Carr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/28/business/media/28SLAT.html>
So after almost seven years, Slate could be the exception that ends up disproving the rule that held that content sites generally serve as a trapdoor for good intentions and prodigious amounts of money.

Faster Than The Speed Of Software (Jon Healey, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-music27apr27,1,2906521.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
The record labels have a new idea for selling music online. The only catch: This time, they are ahead of the technology needed for it to happen.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The Meaning Of A Skull (Thomas L. Friedman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/27/opinion/27FRIE.html>
We can get rid of the sculptures of Saddam with one tug, but our job is to build a regime in Iraq that won't produce any more battered human skulls.

Rolling Back The 20th Century (William Greider, The Nation)
<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030512&s=greider>
George Bush II may be as shallow as he appears, but his presidency represents a far more formidable challenge than either Reagan or Gingrich.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
>From China's Provinces, A Crafty Germ Spreads (Elisabeth Rosenthal, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/27/health/27SARS.html>
Can the lessons of prevention learned in a tiny, authoritarian country like Singapore be applied elsewhere, particularly in a vast, chaotic place like China, with far more cases and a highly mobile population?

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The People On The Bus (Adam Gopnik, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030505fa_fact2>
The way we ride now.

How To Save The Game (Geoff Edgers, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2003/0427/currents.htm>
Want to save America's pastime? Start by saving the baseball card.

The Power To Change Young Lives (Robert Lipstyle, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/28/books/28LIPS.html>
There is a reader-writer connection in the category of "young adult literature" that simply does not exist in sports journalism, movies, television news and documentaries, and novels for older adults.

Slate Sets A Web Magazine First: Making Money (David Carr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/28/business/media/28SLAT.html>
So after almost seven years, Slate could be the exception that ends up disproving the rule that held that content sites generally serve as a trapdoor for good intentions and prodigious amounts of money.

One Thing At A Time, Please (John Balzar, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-balzar27apr27,1,7090886.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
Multi-tasking is not only annoying, it may be killing us.

Safe House (Sydney Trent, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17019-2003Apr22.html>
Where to find comfort in dark times? There's no place like home.

Le Commute: How Far Would You Go? (Damian Whitworth, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-661248,00.html>
If Kent County Council and Eurotunnel have their way, bemused residents of the Pas de Calais could soon have 10,000 English neighbours commuting to work by Eurostar.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Dick (Antonya Nelson, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030505fi_fiction>
The evening sun was a giant peach in the rearview mirror, apocalyptic and gaseous as it burned toward the horizon. The daily paradox of Los Angeles: toxic beauty. But, for once, Ann Ponders was grateful for the pollution; it capped an argument that she had been making for months.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
>From China's Provinces, A Crafty Germ Spreads (Elisabeth Rosenthal, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/27/health/27SARS.html>
Can the lessons of prevention learned in a tiny, authoritarian country like Singapore be applied elsewhere, particularly in a vast, chaotic place like China, with far more cases and a highly mobile population?

Emergency Housing All Prepared (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,185740,00.html?>
According to National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan, at least 200 HDB flats are now in move-in condition, ready to provide emergency housing in the event that what happened recently in Hongkong's Amoy Gardens apartment complex occurs here.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore's Arts And Sports Scenes Take A Beating From SARS (Yeoh En-Lai, Associated Press)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=553&ncid=751&e=9&u=/ap/20030427/ap_wo_en_he/as_gen_singapore_sars_virus_disappearing_acts>
People in Singapore say they're not in the mood for entertainment given the crisis, and they're scared of catching the disease.

Schools Play Catch-Up Now (Jane Lee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,185808,00.html?>
To make up for lost time from their forced break, they arrange extra lessons and scrap exams so teachers can complete syllabus.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.