[MyAppleMenu] Sep 29, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 29 21:05:02 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Sep 29, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Apple Releases iSync Beta (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/28.isync.php>
With the iSync beta users can synchronize Address Book contacts and iCal calendars across Mac OS computers and devices, such as an iSync-compatible mobile phone, an iPod or a Palm OS device.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
.Mac Outage; Reliability Issues Persist (MacNN)
<http://macnn.com/news.php?id=16714>
"I think this is despicable behavior on Apple's part, especially after forcing people to fork out $50-$100 for a completely unreliable mail 'solution.'"

The Mac Lives On In Jordan (The Star)
<http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm?id=ZAWYA20020928141438&Section=Main&page=Home&channel=Features%20and%20Analysis%20&objectid=C5C3675B-FF61-11D4-867D00D0B74A0D7C>
When people stopped talking about the IBM PC and Compatibles versus the Macintosh, I knew that one of these two platforms had conclusively dominated the other.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Synchronizing Computers With iSync (MacMegasite)
<http://www.macmegasite.com//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=351>
Being tied so closely with .Mac could be Apple's way to force users into buying .Mac accounts, and I certainly find iSync a much more compelling reason to join than the email and web hosting features.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Intel's Huge Bet Turns Iffy (John Markoff and Steve Lohr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/29/technology/circuits/29CHIP.html>
For Intel, Itanium's failure would be a painful black eye, a setback in its heavily financed assault on the corporate computing world beyond the personal computer.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Why I Don't Subscribe To Magazines Anymore (Ted Neward, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2072>
I've since cancelled almost every subscription I ever owned, and the few that continue to come to the house do so only because their subscriptions haven't come up for renewal yet--and I'm sorely tempted to let them expire when they do.

Consumers See Deals In Internet Calling (Reuters)
<http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-column-pluggedin.html>
Telephone calling via the Internet has come a long way from the days fives year ago of crackling walkie-talkie conversations, and U.S. consumers now have a range of choices that trade higher quality for cost.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
E. Timor Points A Way For Mideast (Ian Urbina, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/suncommentary/la-op-urbina29sep29,0,2407991.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dsuncomment>
Strong U.N. action can lead to a peaceful transfer of power.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
The Mysteries Of Translation (Wendy Lesser, Chronicle Of Higher Education)
<http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i05/05b00701.htm>
No translator wants his achievement stolen or denied; yet just as certainly, no translator wants her voice to overpower that of her source author.

The Age Of Innocence (Ann Patchett, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/29/magazine/29WWLN.html>
Perhaps the problem is that as Americans, we no longer have any idea what constitutes a child.

In The Age Of Focus, How The Mind Wanders (Lisa Belkin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/29/business/yourmoney/29WCOL.html>
Whatever spin you put on it, being distracted is the norm of working life.

As Security Cameras Sprout, Someone's Always Watching (Dean E. Murphy, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/29/technology/29TAPE.html>
With the recent arrest of a woman in Indiana whom a security camera videotaped beating her daughter in a parking lot, the presence of electronic eyes across America has drawn new attention.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.