[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 28 21:05:02 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Sep 28, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Matchmaker Blutetooth: No-Cable Connection Excels At Pairing Handhelds (Glenn Fleishman, The Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/134544004_ptbluetooth28.html>
I've already cut the network cord with Wi-Fi. I'm looking to untangle the rest of my mess with Bluetooth.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
P5 Gesture-Recognition Glove Coming Soon (GameSpot)
<http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2881550,00.html>
Essential Reality announces that the PC version of the P5 glove--a controller that will recognize hand gestures for 3D games--will be available next month.

Apple To Open Towson, Maryland Store (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=16706>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Rants & Raves: Apple's 'Logic' Snubs PC Users (William Russell Swanker, and Ken Cox, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/commentarySection/0,1292,55442,00.html>
When's the last time a software company offered $1,300 in incentives to Apple users to buy a PC after they yanked Mac support from their product line?

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Steal This Column (Robert X. Cringely, PBS)
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020926.html>
Critcism won't change the DMCA, but breaking the law will.

Wi-Fi Stretches Its Boundaries (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-959924.html>
Communications equipment maker Proxim became the latest company to sell high-powered Wi-Fi networks that travel long distances, essentially providing buyers with an "ISP in a box," the company's Chief Executive, Jonathan Zakin, said this week.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Will Open Source Kill off The CMS Money Pit? (Shelley Doll, Builder.com)
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/builder/architect/sdi/story/0,2000035062,20268592,00.htm>
Open source gurus comment on content management system enterprise adoption, the effects of OSS, and understanding community goals.

At The Wireless Edge (Glenn Fleishman, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/fe/xml/02/09/30/020930fewirelesstci.xml>
A previously unnecessary category of network management solution has started to proliferate: the central WLAN controller.

Can I-Mode Go Global? (Wharton)
<http://news.com.com/2009-12-959646.html>
"The people with pockets aren't often the people who want expensive services. That makes it difficult to do anything."

State Prosecutors Trying To Delete Spam (Jean Guiccione, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-me-spam28sep28,0,1949967.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
The attorney general's office hopes to use a 1998 law to save residents from annoying e-mail solicitations.

Matchmaker Blutetooth: No-Cable Connection Excels At Pairing Handhelds (Glenn Fleishman, The Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/134544004_ptbluetooth28.html>
I've already cut the network cord with Wi-Fi. I'm looking to untangle the rest of my mess with Bluetooth.

Lotus Gears Up For Notes/Domino 6 Launch (Stacy Cowley, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/27/020927hnlotus6.xml?s=IDGNS>
IBM will take the wraps off version 6 of Lotus Notes and Domino on Tuesday, ushering in the first major upgrade in three years of Lotus' flagship corporate messaging and infrastructure software.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Some Say Deterrence Is Enough... (Eugene Volokh, National Review)
<http://nationalreview.com/comment/comment-volokh092702.asp>
... but two can play at the deterrence game.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Voices In The Wilderness (Jonathan Franzen, The Guardian)
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,6000,800404,00.html>
Readers and writers are united in their need for solitude, in their pursuit of substance in a time of ever-increasing evanescence: in their reach inward, via print, for a way out of loneliness.

The Writing Life (Stanley Crouch, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10327-2002Sep27.html>
No matter what kind of literary reception a writer secretly desires, what may please him most is an unexpected, ornery reader.

Tasting It All At A Buffet Of Meridians (Ann Costello, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/29/travel/WORLD.html>
A globe-circling couple and their 12 bags take Radisson's cruise to everywhere.

Think You Have A Book In You? Think Again (Joseph Epstein, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/28/opinion/28EPST.html>
Save the typing, save the trees, save the high tax on your own vanity. Don't write that book, my advice is, don't even think about it. Keep it inside you, where it belongs.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Malaysia And Singapore To Discuss Water Issue In October (Reuters)
<http://asia.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=1508225>
Senior officials of Malaysia and Singapore will meet next month to discuss water supply for Singapore, the most troublesome issue between the neighbouring states, a newspaper reported on Saturday.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.