[MyAppleMenu] Sep 21, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 21 21:05:04 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Sep 21, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Want A Date? We All Cal With iCal (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,55244,00.html>
Web designer Patrick Crowley may have stumbled on the Web's next killer app. He just launched a website for sharing calendars using Apple's new calendaring program, iCal. Could Web calendars be the next big thing?

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
OmniWeb X 4.1.1b1 Released (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/09/21/omniweb>
The Omni Group has posted OmniWeb X 4.1.1b1, the latest release of their full-featured Mac OS X Web browser.

The ABCs Of Computers (Nick D'Amore, The Cranbury Press)
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5439606&BRD=1091&PAG=461&dept_id=425419&rfi=6>
Elementary school students throughout the district are getting hands-on computer training with the help of mobile laptop computer labs.

Computer Dispute Aired Before Board (Jeff Hudson, The Davis Enterprise)
<http://www.davisenterprise.com/display/inn_news/102NEW2.TXT>
Mac or Windows? That long-running debate between devotees of different software platforms bubbled to the surface at Thursday night's meeting of the Davis Board of Education.

Los Angeles Apple Store Sees 139,000 Visitors In First Month (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/09/20/la>
The Los Angeles Times recently contained an Apple ad thanking the 139,000 visitors it received to its Los Angeles Apple store at The Grove in its first month.

Ellison Bails On Apple (Associated Press)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,55299,00.html>
Ellison's spotty attendance record at Apple's board meetings hadn't been an issue until a recent wave of corporate accounting scandals sharpened Wall Street's focus on the watchdog role of company boards.

Apple Posts September Security Update (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/20.update.php>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
When Chips Are 64 (Bit) (Dana Blankenhorn, Moore's Lore)
<http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/20020901.shtml#7004>
The 1 GHz GPUL will run twice as fast as the current 1 GHz G4 PowerMacs that Apple is how shipping.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Installation Of Jaguar Bites A Few Readers (Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/134539584_ptmacc21.html>
A clean install can work wonders and reduce troubleshooting.

Latest OS X Simply The Best, But Change Is Expensive (Dwight Silverman, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/business/1584428>
The cost and hassle factor of switching to a completely new platform remains substantial. But if you get more frustration than joy out of Windows, there aren't many excuses left for not exploring a Macintosh.

Homemade Dot-Mac With OS X, Part 2 (Alan Graham, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/09/20/homemade_dotmac_2.html>
Now that we've set up the basics of our home Web server, we have a platform for a wide variety of options and fun projects that we can build upon.

Fireworks MX (Sandee Cohen, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/reviews/fireworks.html>
Fireworks MX's seamless integration with other Macromedia Web-development apps makes it a worthwhile upgrade if you build Web sites and applications with Dreamweaver MX--and especially if you've moved to OS X.

Feline Good (Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Hearld)
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/20/1032054954207.html>
Does Jaguar, aka Max OS X 10.2, live up to its name? Is it faster and smoother? Well, yes. A good step up from OS X 10.1.5, and I liked it a lot.

ThinkFree Office 2.0 (Jeffery Battersby, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/reviews/thinkfree.html>
If you use Microsoft Office regularly and you need most or all of its features, then skip ThinkFree and pony up the money for the real deal. But if you're simply looking for a program with more features than icWord or icExcel, ThinkFree is a best-of-breed program that will exceed your expectations.

Fallout 2 (Bill Stiteler, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/fallout2.shtml>

Serve Your iCal Calendars Using WebDAV (O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/09/20/ical_webdav.html>
You can set up your own plot of Gregorian-space.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Less, And More, Than Meets Eye To MS Wi-Fi Push (John Lettice, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/27222.html>
So, two out of ten for hardware innovation, nine for cunning sales strategies.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Writing, Hand To PC (Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/2002/09/20/0920tentech.html>
The chasm between the written word and the world of the PC has been a tricky one to bridge.

Swing Is Swinging Java Out Of The Desktop (Alan Williamson, Java Developer's Journal)
<http://www.sys-con.com/java/articlenews.cfm?id=1634>
If you need your faith in Java re-energized, then look to the community and what they are doing. If you are waiting on Sun, then don't, they are too busy fighting Microsoft than to worry about the actual technology they supposedly fighting for!

Fighting The Last War (Steve Gillmor, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/09/23/020923opcurve.xml>
To quote John and Yoko: "War is over -- if you want it."

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Want A Date? We All Cal With iCal (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,55244,00.html>
Web designer Patrick Crowley may have stumbled on the Web's next killer app. He just launched a website for sharing calendars using Apple's new calendaring program, iCal. Could Web calendars be the next big thing?

Broadband Price Scares Customers Away (Jill Erikkson, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/19472.html>
I don't know what world these analysts live in, or what planet their "research subjects" hail from, but the heart of the matter is price.

Microsoft Spying? Linux Is Looking Better (Charles Cooper, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-958762.html>
Toss international politics into that equation and Linux suddenly looks very attractive.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Why I'm Fighting Federal Drug Laws From City Hall (Christopher Krohn, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/21/opinion/21KROH.html>
How did I, a mayor of a small town in California, wind up in a tug of war with the Drug Enforcement Agency?

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Writing, Hand To PC (Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/2002/09/20/0920tentech.html>
The chasm between the written word and the world of the PC has been a tricky one to bridge.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Musical Chairs (Peter Paphides, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,795919,00.html>
Today's pop stars, say their critics, aren't half as talented as their predecessors because they have little or nothing to do with writing their songs. But that misses the point. Kylie and Robbie aren't really so very different from Elvis or Frank. In pop, the songwriter has always been the power behind the throne.

A Beautiful World (Hank Stuever, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46422-2002Sep20.html>
Duct tape and other uplifting snippets from the Miss America front lines.

So Many Planes, So Few Passengers (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1337468>
Things go from bad to worse for big airlines, and not just because of September 11th.

Bribes, Threats And Naked Readings (Christopher Dreher, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/09/16/publicity/index.html>
In a world where more and more new books get less and less attention, authors will do anything to promote their work.

Letter From Egypt (P. J. O'Rourke, The Atlantic)
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/09/orourke.htm>
"There is a question," our correspondent writes, "that less-sophisticated Americans ask (and more-sophisticated Americans would like to): Why are people in the Middle East so crazy? Here, at the pyramids, was an answer from the earliest days of civilization: People have always been crazy."

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
Eve In The Garden (Shelley Renee-Ruiz, The DMQ Review)
<http://www.disquietingmuses.com/aug02/reneeruize.html>

Glass Darkly (Sally Ashton, The DMQ Review)
<http://www.disquietingmuses.com/aug02/ashtong.html>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.