[MyAppleMenu] Sep 20, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 20 21:05:04 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, Sep 20, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
A Linux User Defects (Simon Cozens, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/uk/hotnews/articles/simoncozens/>
FreeBSD? GNU Hurd? Windows? No, the operating system that’s my tip for the OS of the future is nothing other than Apple’s Mac OS X.

Apple's New Galleria Store A World Unto Itself (Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle)
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/business/1582902>
You'll know that everything works properly before you leave the store.

Apple's Big Bite (Oliver Peters, Videography.com)
<http://www.uemedia.com/CPC/article_1718.shtml>
The development team for Final Cut Pro and Cinema Tools continues to throw as many features as possible into a single user interface that is consistent across the entire spectrum of possible configurations. All of this plus dead sexy -- now how can you beat that?

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
iCab 2.8.2 Update Brings Jaguar Fixes (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/09/20/icab>
The iCab company today released iCab 2.8.2, the latest version of its popular alternative Web browser.

Adobe Rebranding Designer And Developer Web Site (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/09/20/adobe>
The site is now called Adobe Studio Exchange, and enables users to upload and download add-ons for Adobe applications.

Apple PDA Plans Gathering Dust (Jay Wrolstad, NewsFactor)
<http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/19461.html>
Apple's pioneering PDA, Newton, failed to take off a decade ago, largely because it was a clunky, expensive device that the public was not ready for. Now, with the market saturated with PDAs and smartphones, Apple may not be ready to try again.

Larry Ellison Resigns As Apple Director (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/09/20/ellison>
"My schedule does not currently allow me to attend enough of the formal board meetings to warrant a role as a director."

Lodging Fears Hinder Macworld Return (Hiwatha Bray, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/262/business/Lodging_fears_hinder_Macworld_return+.shtml>
A dispute over hotel space is the last major roadblock to bringing the Macworld computer trade show back to Boston in mid-July 2004, according to the head of the company that sponsors the convention.

Grant Provides Tech To Schools (Erica Plouffe, The Daily Reflector)
<http://www.reflector.com/news/newsfd/auto/feed/news/2002/09/19/1032410001.21102.3556.4170.html>
"Through the use of technology, we hope to better engage students, and in turn, excite the teachers and keep them with us longer."

New Laptops Revolutionalize Students' Work (Erica Plouffe, The Daily Reflector)
<http://www.reflector.com/news/newsfd/auto/feed/news/2002/09/18/1032325038.21102.5804.3981.html>
The wireless computer, introduced to Oakwood students this school year, has become an integral part of the entire fifth- through eighth-grade curriculum.

AppleScript Studio Makes Life Easier (Barbara Gibson, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/09/rosenthal/>
"What I'm fascinated by in AppleScript is the fact that it is an extra hand."

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Why I Develop For Mac OS X (Brent Simmons, Inessential.com)
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=2138>
One of the reasons I develop for OS X is that, when it comes to user interface, this is the big leagues, this is the show.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 (Ray Weigel and James L. Kim, TechTV)
<http://www.techtv.com/news/story/0,24195,3346663,00.html>
Portable hard-disk MP3 player is first to offer MP3 encoding.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Windows XP -- One Year Later (Larry Seltzer, ZDNet)
<http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2880659,00.html>
I agree with Microsoft's senior VP for Windows, Jim Allchin. I think they've been doing a pretty good job lately.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Being Wireless (Nicholas Negroponte, Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.10/wireless.html>
Everything you assumed about telecommunications is about to change. Large wired and wireless telephone companies will be replaced by micro-operators, millions of which can be woven into a global fabric of broadband connectivity.

Google News Smarter Than Ever (Adrain Holovaty)
<http://holovaty.com/blog/archive/2002/09/19/1209>
Deep inside, operators of news Web sites will panic. If you listen closely, you just might start hearing the screams.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Microsoft Details Web Services Prices (Maggie Williams, vnunet.com)
<http://www.vnunet.com/News/1135192>
Microsoft has announced its first chargeable web service, MapPoint.net, which will deliver geographical information, including postcode searches, location services and downloadable driving instructions.

Open Source Haunts Microsoft (Matt Loney, ZDNet UK)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-958754.html>
One unfortunate thing we did was coming out against open source--we knew it would be controversial.

Web Ads, From Roach To Rich (Leslie Walker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36609-2002Sep18.html>
You might hope that pop-up ads go the way of Pets.com and other doomed dot-coms, six feet under in the Internet graveyard. But, alas, pop-ups appear destined to survive, because some advertisers say the darned things work.

Making The Most Of Wireless (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_38/b3800171.htm>
Investec's Adrian Brass talks about his tough-times strategy.

Lucent Roams Between WLAN And 3G (John Blau, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/19/020919hnraoming.xml?s=IDGNS>
The telecommunications equipment performed a seamless handoff of a wireless data call from a WLAN to a 3G network, it said in a statement.

Unified Linux Desktop: Good, Bad Or Ugly (Sam Varghese, The Age)
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/09/19/1032054902523.html>
"Microsoft are evil marketers, definitely not innovators, but they have spent a lot of time and money understanding users. Red Hat are just learning and adapting to the lessons learned."

Toshiba Looks To Cut Gadget Wires (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-958694.html>
Electronics giant Toshiba announced plans Thursday to bring wireless networking to home entertainment.

Next-Gen Web Services: Google Exec Touts Innovation (Cathleen Moore, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/19/020919hngoogle.xml>
Going forward, Google is pushing innovation based on Web services.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Crisis Of '62 Calls To Bush (Lawrence J. Korb, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-korb19sep19(0,7659975).story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Dcomment%2Dopinions>
He should ponder how JFK hnadled Cuba emergency.

Iraq, Upside Down (Thomas L. Friedman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/18/opinion/18FRIE.html>
Don't believe the polls that a majority of Americans favor a military strike against Iraq. It's just not true.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Radio Telescope Proves A Big Bang Prediction (Dennis Overbye, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/20/science/20COSM.html>
After 271 20-hour nights of staring at the Antarctic sky, a radio telescope at the South Pole has confirmed a critical prediction of the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe.

More Sci- Than Fi, Physicists Create Antimatter (Dennie Overbye, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/19/science/19HYDR.html>
In science fiction, antimatter, with its perfect convertibility to energy, is the ultimate rocket fuel, but the CERN scientists see their antihydrogen atoms as a ticket not across the galaxy but in effect to a different mathematical universe, in which positive is negative and left is right.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
$2,200 Trash Can? Sure, Why Not? (Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-lv-trashcan20sep20.story>
Designers share their visions of the ultimate wastebasket.

Notes From Boston: Big Dig Bluster (Jane Holtz Kay, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/20/opinion/20KAY.html>
Boston offers a cautionary tale about how difficult it is to re-create a walking city in a nation long dominated by the car.

Rosie The Star Pulls Plug On Rosie The Magazine (David Carr, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/19/business/media/19MAG.html?8hpib>
The publishing industry, which has increasingly found a new kind of golden goose by hitching magazine franchises to the likes of Oprah Winfrey, Martha Stewart and Ms. O'Donnell, might be rethinking the trend.

Meals Make us Human (Felipe-Fernadez-Armesto, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,791966,00.html>
Never mind obesity, it's the loneliness of the fast food eater that matters.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
New Arts Center Reaches For The Stars (Alecia McKenzie, Asia Times)
<http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/DI21Ae04.html>
Opera star Jessye Norman, jazz genius Wynton Marsalis, the acclaimed London Philharmonic Orchestra - these are just a few of the big names coming to town next month to help Singaporeans celebrate the opening of a controversial but magnificently designed arts center.

Flush With Pride (Trish Saywell, Far Eastern Economic Review)
<http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0209_26/p036innov.html>
Technology that allows Singapore to reclaim used tap and flushing water will move the nation closer to water self-sufficiency. But will it wash with the masses?

PAS Willing To Help Singapore Pupils (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/9/20/nation/tudungs&sec=nation>
"We will look into their cases closely to consider extending assistance to them without interfering in the internal affairs of [Singapore]."

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.