[MyAppleMenu] Sep 12, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 12 21:05:09 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, Sep 12, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Adobe Touts OS X Advantage Over Quark (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-957737.html>
Publishing-software giant Adobe Systems appears to be gaining ground on its main rival in the page-layout realm as long-time market leader Quark continues to delay support for Apple Computer's OS X.

Giving Mac OS 9 The Boot (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/os9boot.shtml>
The decision to disable Mac OS 9 booting looks risky at first glance, but those who have discounted or doubted Apple in the past have generally found themselves eating crow.

A Happy Geek (Scott Bradner, NetworkWorldFusion)
<http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2002/0909bradner.html>
So I'm in hog heaven, even if I'm almost alone in Harvard's central administration in using a Mac.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Adobe Still Struggling Against Economy (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-957751.html>
Publishing software giant Adobe Systems reported third-quarter earnings Thursday in line with lowered expectations.

Maya 4.5 Shipping For Mac OS X September 23 (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2002/09/12/maya>
Version 4.5 offers a number of new features, including Maya Fluid Effects, which allows users to create atmospheric effects, pyrotechnics, space effects and a new Ocean Shader tool.

Apple Stores Coming To Des Peres And Houston (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/12.store.php>

Report Looks At Dual Processor Benefits (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/12.report.php>

Electronic Music Pairs With Dance For A Show Of GIve, Take (Elaine Guregian, Beacon Journal)
<http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/local/4049357.htm>
One of the key figures in GroundWorks Dancetheater's performances this weekend and next at Akron's Ice House won't be standing on stage.

Apple Store To Open New Outlet In Troy (Neal Haldane, The Detroit News)
<http://www.detnews.com/2002/technology/0209/12/b02-584862.htm>
After launching its first Michigan store last month at Twelve Oaks Mall, Apple Computer will open its second retail store in Metro Detroit on Oct. 12 at the Somerset Collection in Troy.

Mac Heads Immortalized In Pixels (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,55093,00.html>
An enterprising graphic designer from upstate New York has updated and democratized portraiture with a cut-rate service that turns ordinary people into icons for their computer desktops.

MacExpo Targets Potential PC Switchers (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5253>
MacExpo 2002 plans to target PC users tempted by the platform, as well as existing Mac users, the organizers have announced.

Banks Account (Hamish Mackintosh, The Guardian)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,790236,00.html>
What keeps Mac users like you loyal?

New Computer Service, Retail Store Opens In Nashua (Brad Leighton, Telegraph)
<http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/Main.asp?SectionID=27&SubSectionID=357&ArticleID=63999>
Gary Leighton was a pharmacist who became addicted to Apples -- the computers, not the food.

Gartland Makes Hollywood Trip (Jake Krob, West Branch Times)
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5329323&BRD=1877&PAG=461&dept_id=134494&rfi=6>
Tom Gartland, a local business consultant and the city's website developer, recently traveled to Hollywood for Apple's "switch" campaign.

Sybase Ships RDBMS For Jaguar Server (Web Host Industry Review)
<http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/syb091102.cfm>
An enterprise-class relational database management system (RDBMS), ASE is designed for transaction-intensive applications and includes advanced e-business capabilities.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Go Ahead, Stick With Mac OS 9 (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/02/0912.html>
Stick with your low-end Macs and low-end operating systems. They will continue to serve you well.

Switching Off Mac OS 9 (Andrew W. Hill, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/hill/02/0912.html>
Yes, it's worth it.

Time For Apple To Do The Right Thing (Jeff Adkins, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/lab/02/0912.html>
How could they restore the goodwill they've been grinding away lately?

The Death Of Mac OS 9 (Marc Zeedar, MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/tangible/02/09/12/index.html>
It wouldn't have made much of a difference to Apple's migration efforts to delay this a bit and make it happen next summer, but the bottom line is that this really isn't that big of a deal.

Interview: Cocoa Guru Andrew Stone Of Stone Design (Carlos Camacho, iDevGames)
<http://www.idevgames.com/content/article.php?id=94>

Leaving The Past Behind (Stephen Van Esch, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/scope/02/0912.html>
Many people will complain, but eventually the need to be productive will outweigh the need to keep the flame burning.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
iPhoto The Missing Manual (Jon Gales, MacMerc)
<http://www.macmerc.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=24>
If you are an aspiring digital photographer, or just have a lot of digital photos hanging around on your computer, iPhoto The Missing Manual is for you!

Let One Hundred Browsers Bloom (David Boswell, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mozilla/2002/09/12/mozilla_browsers.html>
This wealth of browser options is a great strength, so let's hope that each of these projects continue to mature and innovate.

Mac OS X v 10.2 (Brett Larson, TechTV)
<http://www.techtv.com/news/computing/story/0,24195,3399148,00.html>
It's a completely cleaned-up, optimized, feature-added release of the Mac OS, and well worth the $129 price.

iPhoto 1.1 For Mac OS X: Visual Quickstart Guide (Dawn C. Schultz, MyMac.com)
<http://www.mymac.com/dawn_schultz/iphotovqs_9.12.02.shtml>

Adobe FrameMaker 7.0 (Bill Briggs, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/reviews/framemaker.html>
FrameMaker is overkill if all you need is a simple word processor or page-layout application. But if you maintain documents that are both long and long-living, such as books or technical manuals you want to repurpose, you owe it to yourself to check out FrameMaker 7.0, and for authoring structured documents, it's the only game in town.

Apple's New iPod For PCs May Leave Rest In The Dust (Matthew Fordahl, Associated Press)
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/86642_windowsipod12.shtml>
It works just as well as the Mac iPod -- so well, in fact, that other Windows players will be eating dust.

Q&A: How Mac And Windows Can Talk To Each Other (J.D. Biersdorfer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/12/technology/circuits/12ASKK.html>
Although it is not a completely seamless situation, compatibility between Windows-based PC's and Macintosh computers has come a long way over the last 18 years.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Security Vulnerabilities Persist After IE 6 Patch (Paul Roberts, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/12/020912hniepatch.xml>
Only three days after the official release of the first patch for Microsoft's Internet Explorer Version 6 Web browser, security experts are raising concerns about security vulnerabilties that were not addressed by the company.

Windows Media Player 9 Tough To Shake (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-957704.html>
Some people looking to uninstall the latest test version of Microsoft's new Windows Media Player 9 Series software may find the program is like a bad houseguest: It just won't leave.

MS Intros Ultra-Liberal 'Write Your Own Licence' Scheme (John Lettice, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27088.html>
Hurry hurry hurry, before Microsoft changes its mind and abandons DiY licence agreements.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Crashing The Blog Party (Renee Tawa, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-lv-blogs12sep12002050.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Academics, journalists move the Web's raucous alternative newsletters toward the mainstream.

Wireless Spec No Security Elixir (Dennis Fisher, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,530029,00.asp>
802.1x is meant to serve as a framework on which enterprises can layer authentication methods such as smart cards or certificate-based systems. But security experts say it has limitations.

Web Services Frustrates Microsoft (Mike Ricciuti and Charles Cooper, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957586.html>
One of Microsoft's top executives said his company is frustrated by the slow adoption of consumer-oriented Web services, once heralded as the future of online commerce.

Digital Rights Outlook: Squishy (Brad King, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,55006,00.html>
It's a whole new way of thinking about digital rights management -- which still limits what you can do with content on your computer.

Spam Hits Some Anti-Spammers, Who Think They Have A Culprit (Matt Richtel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/12/technology/12MAIL.html>
Tens of thousands of readers of e-mail newsletters have recently been inundated with unsolicited overtures from pornography Web sites and get-rich-quick schemes, the newsletter publishers say, and they are blaming the company that manages and distributes the newsletters for them.

Hollywood And Technology Duke It Out (Robert La Franco, Red Herring)
<http://www.redherring.com/insider/2002/09/hollywoodtech091102.html>
The odd couple looks to the future.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Working Toward A Lead-Free pC (Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-957641.html>
Getting the lead out of personal computers is possible, but it won't likely be commonplace until the middle of the decade as technical details get smoothed out.

Google Searching Again In China (Associated Press)
<http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/09/12/china.google.ap/index.html>
As mysteriously as it began, blocking by Chinese authorities of the Internet search engine Google has suddenly been lifted.

AOL Undergoes Massive Overhaul (Margaret Kane, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-957632.html>
AOL Time Warner on Thursday announced sweeping organizational changes at its America Online unit, in a bid to make that division more profitable and tighten its focus on broadband services.

Can We Count On WiFi In Emergencies? (Ben Charny, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-957570.html>
Intel thinks Wi-Fi is a key to pinpointing a cell phone's location.

AOL's Taking Wrong Direction On IM (Lee Finck, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-957622.html>
AOL must lead with open, forward-looking software development instead of merely incarcerating its users and spouting empty commitments.

Open Source .NET Supports Office Challenge (ComputerWire)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27085.html>
A desktop challenger to Microsoft Corp's Office has adopted an open source version of .NET, potentially increasing its appeal to a cross-section of developers.

China Toughens Obstacles To Internet Searches (Joseph Kahn, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/12/international/asia/12INTE.html>
The diversions are an intensification of an effort to block access to Google that began last week, and they appear to represent an unusually strong campaign to funnel Chinese Internet traffic into sites the government deems friendly and safe.

Conducting Class Via Wireless Communication (San Jose Business Journal)
<http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2002/09/09/daily34.html>
Pico Communications, Palm Inc. and Stanford University School of Medicine today announced the successful trial of a new wireless interactive learning system for medical students.

Wi-Fi Brings Cheer To Networld+Interop (Bruce Gain, EBN)
<http://www.ebnonline.com/story/OEG20020911S0051>
Developments in the Wi-Fi sector have served to counter the pervasive gloom of the Networld+Interop show that also reflects the state of the enterprise communications sector.

Sound Bites On Fair Use And Copyright Law (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1982>

Internet Explorer Subverts Error Messages (William Crawford, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1983>
So that's today's bit of web development wisdom: don't override the standard error codes for your own application.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Exploring A Painful Past (Margot Cohen, Far Eastern Economic Review)
<http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0209_19/p062current.html>
TV shows and films have begun building on new freedoms of expression to probe Indonesia's history of discriminating against the ethnic Chinese.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
The Big Picture On Digital TV: It's Still Fuzzy (Eric A. Taub, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/12/technology/circuits/12TEEV.html>
Digital television was supposed to be commonplace by now. Instead, it is widely unavailable, and the public remains confused about just what it is.

Grisly Task Changes All (Tom Walsh, Detroit Free Press)
<http://www.freep.com/news/metro/walsh11_20020911.htm>
"That was a very emotional moment for me. I suddenly realized I had 40 pieces of the same guy here, the same man, and I know who it is, and at this particular moment in time, I'm the only person in the world who knows that."

First Telescope? Try Binoculars (Alan M. MacRobert, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/253/science/First_telescope_Try_binoculars+.shtml>
As hobbies go, astronomy has a tough reputation.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
May I Have A Word, Please? (Mark Mason, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-411517,00.html>
Do they honestly believe that by raising themselves up on towers of verbiage they will protect themselves from our wrath?

We Will Forget (Andrew Sullivan)
<http://www.andrewsullivan.com/index.php?dish_inc=archives/2002_09_08_dish_archive.html#85436644>
Perhaps we should leave our own memories of that day behind and think of those wives and husbands and children and parents who cannot live a single day without remembering.

What Do We Tell The Children? (Judith Viorst, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A349-2002Sep11.html>
Could we tell them
To please stop asking so many questions?

In New York, A Film Of The Unforgettable (Lynne Duke, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5642-2002Sep11.html>
For 70 minutes, they watched the twin towers burn. More precisely, they watched an uncut, real-time documentary film of the twin towers burning.

Did We Blow It By Going A Week Early With Our 9/11 Issue? (Mark Whitaker, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2070572&entry=2070788&device=>
I don't think so, but striking a balance between being "ahead of the curve" and "catching the moment" is one of the many challenges in my job, particularly in this increasingly crowded and competitive media environment.

At Gound Zero: Bagpipes, Readings And Flowers (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/11/nyregion/11CND-YORK.html>
"This poem makes me feel like my daddy is speaking to me."

Another Take On 9/11 (Ted Neward, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1989>
How could we have forgotten what we learned as children?

Back To Downtown (Judith Weinraub, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61265-2002Sep10.html>
The quiet streets of a year ago have been brightened by a new hotel restaurant scene.

Downtown Rising (Regina Schrambling, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/11/dining/11HARR.html>
Surprisingly, few restaurants in the area have closed. Perhaps even more surprisingly, new restaurants are popping up all over, like mushrooms after a rain.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
The City (Paul Breslin, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2070669&device=>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Dispelling Myths On Singapore Arts Scene (Sonia Kolesnikov, UPI)
<http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20020911-011040-7326r>
Singapore arts scene may not yet be as vibrant as Melbourne's, but it has come a long way over the last few years, thanks for committed efforts by the government to pump financing into the scene.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.