[MyAppleMenu] Sep 11, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 11 21:05:06 EDT 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Eyes The Future Of The Mac (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/11.mac.php>
Mac OS X is the future and there is no looking back.

Pogue Packs Them In At Macworld Seminar (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5251>
Many vow to rush out and buy Mac OS X 10.2 after watching guest speaker David Pogue detail its many hidden delights.

ActiveX Flaw Bugs Apple's QuickTime (Ryan Naraine, Internet.com)
<http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/1461221>
A buffer overrun vulnerability has been detected in the ActiveX component in Apple's QuickTime 5.0 media player.

Apple To Begin New Maya-Shake Promo (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=16390>
"If you buy a copy of Maya 4.5 for OS X you can get $2000 off when you also buy Shake for OS X."

Philips To Use Apple's Jaguar Operating System In Home Entertainment Devices (AFX)
<http://www.iii.co.uk/shares/?type=news&articleid=4461577&action=article>
Steve Jobs said Apple has agreed a deal with Royal Philips Electronics NV under which Philips can use Apple's software in its next generation of home entertainment systems.

Philips Sets Up A 'Rendezvous' (Victoria Shannon, International Herald Tribune)
<http://www.iht.com/articles/70264.html>

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Be Proud Of The Mac Legacy (Claude Filimenti, MacEdition)
<http://www.macedition.com/op/op_cf_20020910.php>
We that support this different way of thinking must encourage our clients to persevere.

After A Summer Of Product Releases, Macworld's Readers Panel Sounds Off On Jaguar, .Mac And Other Expo News (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/macbeat/poll.html>

Read Between The Lines To See What Apple Is Really Up To (John Manzione, MacNET 2.0)
<http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=167_0_1_0_M>
Even though Apple’s announcement is a major one, it’s what Apple didn’t say that’s truly telling.

Will Microsoft Drown In Its Proprietary Media Stream? (Jennifer LeClaire, osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/19362.html>
Start popping the corn, tech news fans: The classic battle between Microsoft and Apple has been officially rekindled.

Mac And PC: Ne'er The Twain Will Meet (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2002/tc20020911_3816.htm>
Could Apple make OS X run on Intel chips? Yes, but it would blunt the unique Mac edge and spark a war that Microsoft is sure to win.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Suitcase 10 (Ric Getter, MacDirectory)
<http://www.macdirectory.com/reviews/suitcase10/index.html>
Suitcase 10 does a great job in Classic and OS 9. Until we evolve past OS X's Classic and Carbon-based transition period, we will have to deal with some of the OS's font handling limitations, and Suitcase 10 will be a great help in the process.

Apple iMovie 2 (Mick Lockey, TechTV)
<http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/products/story/0,23008,3376144,00.html>
If you're intimidated by video editing, you haven't seen iMovie 2.

iCal Attaches To Computer, Not .Mac (Scot Hacker, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1981>
Hopefully Apple will take the needs of people with multiple computers, and the needs of small groups, into account soon.

A Not-At-All Foolish Consistency (Matt Neuberg, TidBITS)
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06932>
Consistency is a cross between a calendar or scheduling program and a to-do list, with a difference. It isn't about things that occur on fixed dates, and it isn't about things that occur only once. It's about things that recur, and that you'd like to have recur with a certain regularity - though perfect regularity is not completely necessary.

Making A Case For iPod Cases (Jeff Carlson, TidBITS)
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06931>
Not only is my iPod still in good condition, it's much easier to carry around everywhere I go.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Is Wi-Fi Ready To Roam? (Ben Charny, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-957411.html>
Networking groups around the globe are working on ways for Web surfers to roam on any number of wireless networks--just as mobile phone users roam on cellular networks.

Brave New Cyberworld (Andy Oram, American Reporter)
<http://www.oreilly.com/~andyo/ar/sept11_one_year.html>
Computers, networks, and policy one year after the 9/11 attacks.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
Instant Messaging Takes Aim At Security (Cathleen Moore, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/11/020911hnimwrap.xml>
In an ongoing effort to prove instant messaging technology can live up to strict corporate communication standards, vendors of IM technology unveiled a slew of offerings designed to bolster IM security here at the IM Planet Conference and Expo.

Vendors Show Tablet PC Wares (Matt Berger, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/11/020911hntabletpcs.xml>
Two software vendors this week took the wraps off applications designed for new Tablet PC devices, which will be released later this year with the goal of making handwriting the preferred method for inputting data into computer documents.

Intel Sees Cheaper,Better Optical Nets (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-957552.html>
Intel plans to lower the cost and increase the performance of optical networking technology, the company said Wednesday, part of the chipmaker's effort to make money off communications as well as computing technology.

Amtrak To Offer Internet Access (Bill Bergstrom, Associated Press)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=528&ncid=528&e=4&u=/ap/20020911/ap_on_hi_te/interactive_train>
In a test planned for next month, riders in a cafe car on an Amtrak line with stops in Harrisburg, Philadelphia and New York will be able to watch movies and television shows, check e-mail or shop online using interactive touch screens.

Oracle Appeals To W3C On Web Services (Wylie Wong, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-957467.html>
Oracle hopes to avert a battle over rival efforts to create Web services standards by asking the leading oversight group to pick a winner.

Post-9/11, 'Sanitized' Sites Aim To Shield Data (Daniel Sieberg, CNN)
<http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/09/10/ar911.sensitive.sites/index.html>
What remains clear from all parties involved is that a delicate balance must be struck between public access and safety.

File-Sharing Networks Relying On VCR Ruling (Jon Healey, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-legal10sep10.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
As entertainment companies struggle in court to defend their music and movies against a new generation of digital pirates, one of their biggest challenges is an 18-year-old Supreme Court ruling on a defunct technology.

Oracle Calls For Web Services Unity (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/10/020910hnoracleunity.xml>
Oracle is looking to get industry consensus on a Web services specification for choreographing interactions in business-to-business transactions, an alternative to the current plethora of proposed specifications devised to meet this aim.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
On Hallowed Ground (Dave Barry, Miami Herald)
<http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/3972571.ht>
Let's also hope that, when they stand here, they know enough to be silent, to show respect. Let's hope they understand why this is hallowed ground.

Getting On With Life Abroad Plane Home (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/4047041.htm>
Then I'll then get on with my day. As will we all. As we must.

The Fears Of A Child, Reflected In The Clouds Above Any U.S. City (Jacques Steinberg, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/11/nationchallenged/11KIDS.html>
What is perhaps most remarkable about the way Sept. 11 has lingered in the subconscious of Michaela, a third grader, is not that she she knew no one who died that day, but that she lives in Omaha, 1,200 miles west of ground zero.

New York Newlyweds Look Ahead, Not Back (Kelly Simmons, Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
<http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/news/sept11/0911newlywed.html>
On Sunday, Elizabeth and Anthony Rakis will take their leftover wedding cake from the freezer and share a toast to their first year of marriage. And to a better year ahead.

The Artist's Reponse (Louise Kennedy, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/251/living/The_artist_s_response+.shtml>
What has helped us make sense of the senseless? Directly and subtly, in ways enormous and small, the events of Sept. 11 affected artists and the work they created.

Life In The Fields Of Sorrow (Gerard Wright, Sydney Morning Herald)
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/10/1031608245087.html>
Shanksville was happy to be Nowhere, USA, but the community has lost its innocence to America's grief tour.

Filling The Sky With Words And Meaning (James Sullivan, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/09/10/DD149601.DTL>
"A poem," Emerson wrote in his journals, "is made up of thoughts, each of which filled the whole sky of the poet in its turn."

After The Fear, A New Normalcy For Workers In Sears Tower (Robert L. Kaiser, Chicago Tribune)
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/showcase/chi-0209090135sep09.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed>
A hijacking scare nine days after Sept. 11 was a turning point, forcing many to take stock and re-examine their lives inside and outside the skyscraper.

Windows On The Other Side Of The World (Richard C. Paddock, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-singapore11sep11.story>
Half a world away from New York City, on top of one of Asia's tallest buildings, a small piece of the World Trade Center lives on.

The Troubles We've Seen (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/09/11/roundup/index.html>
9/11 thoughts from Mark Crispin Miller, David Thomson, Richard Stallman and more.

An Unlikely Hero (Rebecca Liss, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2070762&device=>
The Marine who found two WTC survivors.

Still New York, In All Its Pain And Glory (N.R. Kleinfield, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/11/nationchallenged/11CITY.html>
One year after it faced its own mortality, New York, in its daily curiosities and unexpungeable flavor, is still New York. For some time, no one knew if that could happen.

The Bravery Of Strangers (Mike Viqueira, NBC News)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/805703.asp>
I choose to believe that Todd Beamer saved my life because it helps me to believe in hope.

Reflecting On 9/11 - How Important Is What We Do? (Kevin Bedell, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1976>
"Listen Kid, it's not you. Don't take it personal. Everybody's stuff sucks."

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
When The Towers Fell (Galway Kinnell, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?020916fi_fiction1>

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Windows On The Other Side Of The World (Richard C. Paddock, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-singapore11sep11.story>
Half a world away from New York City, on top of one of Asia's tallest buildings, a small piece of the World Trade Center lives on.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Bloomberg's Integrity Called Into Question (Lim Boon Hee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,142723,00.html?>
Bloomberg has demeaned itself if the real reason it 'capitulated' was for monetary profit, and not because of pure journalistic integrity in admitting it was wrong about the mischievous falsehoods it published.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.