[MyAppleMenu] Feb 27, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 27 21:05:02 EST 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

iBook: The Revised Edition (Annie McCallum, Richmond Times-Dispatch)
<http://www.timesdispatch.com/frontpage/MGBWFN205YC.html>
An environment filled with distrust cannot possibly have the capacity to advance education.

Moog And Apple Computer Honored (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/27/arts/music/27APPL.html>
The academy singled out Apple for computers and software that advanced the way music is "written, mixed, recorded and creatively imagined."

Using iDVD 2 In The Courtroom (Nancy Eaton, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/02/zavaletta/>
"It's just changed the way we present a case."

=== news =============

Wireless Networking Saw Year-End Surge (Sam Ames, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-846805.html>
The wireless networking market took off at the end of 2001, according to new research, as sagging prices improved shipments but pinched sales growth.

Apple Posts Final Cut Pro 3.01 Updater (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=12811>
Addresses a problem with installing FCP on dual processor systems.

Apple To Open First Store Of 2002 In North Carolina (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0202/27.store.php>
Apple retail personnnel will be back on the road next month as the company opens its first retail store of the year on Saturday, March 9, 2002.

Analyst: New iMacs Slow In Coming (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-846748.html>
Shares of Apple fell Wednesday after a Merrill Lynch analyst warned that shipments of new iMacs could fall short of estimates, citing reports of producting problems in Taiwan.

Cocoa Backup Application For Mac OS X Released (Dennis Sellers, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0202/27.backup.php>
iMsafe backs up data stored on any mounted Mac OS X volume to any mounted Mac OS X volume.

Apple, Adobe Discount Graphics Apps (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2110-1040-845542.html?tag=cdshrt>
Save $1,000 for Power Mac and PowerBook buyers.

Apple To The Core (Louise Kehoe, Financial Times)
<http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3OHKY06YC&live=true>
The internecine battle at Hewlett-Packard has echoes of another Silicon Valley dispute -- Silicon Valley's last great soap opera at Apple Computer in the mid-1980s.

=== opinions =============

Should Apple Sell PC Software? (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/feb2002/nf20020227_9415.htm>
The notion of tackling Microsoft on its home turf appeals to Mac partisans. A moment's reflection, however, reveals a host of pitfalls.

=== reviews =============

XP And OS X (Consumer Reports)
<http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=144705&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=93177&bmUID=1014783429974>

=== internet top news =============

Shoppers Shun Shoddy Sites (Mark Ward, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1842000/1842142.stm>
Badly designed websites are damaging the prospects of firms doing business via the web.

=== internet news =============

Are Crackers Behind AOL Spree? (Michelle Delio, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,50697,00.html>

HTTP A Barrier To Web Services? (Matt Loney, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-846583.html>
A Microsoft .Net architect says HTTP is reaching its limitations and will eventually pose a challenge for Web services, peer-to-peer applications and even security.

AOL Accused Of Over Charging Customers (David Kravets, Associated Press)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1529-2002Feb25.html>
AOL was accused of charging its customers for merchandise they did not buy.

=== wintel top news =============

Don't Give Me Your Windows Lite (David Coursey, Adobe Web Designer)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-845067.html>
What would happen if Windows became more of just an operating system and less of a feature-rich computing platform?

=== wintel news =============

XP And OS X (Consumer Reports)
<http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=144705&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=93177&bmUID=1014783429974>

Microsoft, DOJ Filing Settlement Changes (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-846338.html>
The Justice Department and Microsoft are expected to file separate legal briefs Wednesday that wil reveal modifications to their landmark antitrust settlement.

New Pentium 4 To Debut In 2003 (Michael Kanellos, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-846520.html>
The next version of Pentium 4, code-named Prescott, will enhance desktop performance through hyper-threading, among other changes.

Microsoft Reveals PC Game Plan (David Becker, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-846665.html>
Microsoft announced a slew of new PC games Wednesday, including sequels to the popular role-playing game "Asheron's Call" and strategy game "Age of Empires."

HTTP A Barrier To Web Services? (Matt Loney, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-846583.html>
A Microsoft .Net architect says HTTP is reaching its limitations and will eventually pose a challenge for Web services, peer-to-peer applications and even security.

Barksdale To Testify On Deal With Microsoft (Joseph Menn, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000014851feb27.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Netscape ex-CEO says the proposed settlement would aid the software giant.

How To TiVO-ize Your PC (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/24222.html>
Time shifting capabilities have come to the PC, coupled with 802.11b.

Apple To The Core (Louise Kehoe, Financial Times)
<http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3OHKY06YC&live=true>
The internecine battle at Hewlett-Packard has echoes of another Silicon Valley dispute -- Silicon Valley's last great soap opera at Apple Computer in the mid-1980s.

=== reader : life =============

That Old Feeling: Remembering Chuck Jones (Richard Corliss, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/sampler/article/0,8599,212624,00.html>
How lucky we children of the 50s were in our comedy mentors!

Of Crust And Custard (Sylvia Thompson, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-022702custard.story>
>From a 1909 women's club cookbook comes a dessert revelation: pies that are exquistiely textured, deeply delicious and easy to make.

DVD Pirates And Hobbits In Southeast Asia (Jeff Radice, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/02/27/dvd_piracy/index.html>
A backpacking tourist in Laos gets his hands on "The Fellowship of the Ring" just two weeks after its U.S. release.

The Pilgrimage To Ground Zero (Lynne Duke, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7692-2002Feb26.html>
Officials and tourists walk a fine line on solemn ground.

Do You Otaku? (Amy M. Spindler, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/24/magazine/magazinespecial/24OTAKU.html?homepageinsidebox>
A modest proposal: Tokyo is the real international capital of fashion.

Stolen Restaurant Napkins Are Just A Start (Donna Paul, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/27/dining/27THEF.html?homepageinsidebox>
Restaurants have become temples of design, filled with beautiful objects. And diners are helping themselves to more than just the bread. A lot more.

=== singapore top news =============

MRT Trains To Stop At Potong Pasir After All (Karamjit Kaur and K.C. Vijayan, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,105196,00.html?>
It's not about politics, but ridership, says minister.

Singapore Ends One-Cent Coins (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,37333,00.html?>
Singapore's one-cent coin is to go out of circulation although it will remain legal tender.

=== singapore news =============

Never Mind The Pay Say Singapore Workers (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,37330,00.html?>
A survey of Singaporeans has found that most workers in the country are happy with their jobs and do not consider the salary of great importance.

---