[MyAppleMenu] Feb 26, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 26 21:05:02 EST 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== news =============

Laptops Would Be Leased, Not Owned, Under Deal (Bonnie Washuk, Lewiston Sun Journal)
<http://www.sunjournal.com/story.asp?slg=022602laptopz>
The difference between leasing and owning the laptops could besubstantial for the beleaguered laptop program.

No Shortage Of Opinions On Laptops In Schools (Lindsay Tice, Leviston Sun Journal)
<http://www.sunjournal.com/story.asp?slg=022602opinlap>

New iMac Owners Get Graphics Suite X For $199 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0202/25.corel.php>
Less than half the suggested retail price for the full product.

Apple Releases Java 1.3.1 Update 1 (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0202/25.java.php>
The update delivers improvements for text, mouse, and printing components, in additional to stability and compatibility.

=== opinions =============

Apple's Sexy New iMac Is Seductive - Up To A Point (Mike Wendland, Detroit Free Press)
<http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend26_20020226.htm>
As great as the iMac is, I'm staying faithful to my PC. I need Micreosoft's FrontPage Web authoring program.

The Shape Of Things To Come (Nick Galvin, Sydney Morning Herald)
<http://www.smh.com.au/icon/0202/23/hardware1.html>
Apple's new iMac is beautiful to watch, but it's the software that sells it.

To Lawyers Who Love Macs And WordPerfect: Get Over It (Mark Voorhees, National Law Journal)
<http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=law/View&c=Article&cid=ZZZZFICWXXC&live=true&cst=6&pc=0&pa=0&s=News&ExpIgnore=true&showsummary=0>
So let me say it again. In the legal market, now and forever more, the Mac is dead.

=== reviews =============

iMac Packs In Power (David Petersen, Australian IT)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,3830417%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
It is classy, elegant and a great performer.

=== wintel news =============

Sun To Charge For Next StarOffice (Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com)
<http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8909166-0.html?tag=ats>
In a move that could undercut its anti-Microsoft campaign, Sun plans to start charging for the next version of its StarOffice software.

=== reader : life =============

An Artist's Best Work, Figuratively Speaking (Christopher Knight, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Art-X!ArticleDetail-52129,00.html>
Elmer Bischoff began and ended his career as an abstract painter. His strongest images date from the years between.

Robert Philip Hanssen's Dirty Little Secrets (Benjamin Schwarz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/24/books/review/24SCHWART.html>
Reading these three books on the Robert Hassen espionage case is like viewing pornography.

=== reader : expressions =============

Magic Glass (Ellen Bryant Voigt, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2062234&device=>

---