[MyAppleMenu] Dec 7, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 7 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, Dec 7, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Hey, I'm A Loyal Mac User, Too (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,56749,00.html>
If I were a reader, I'd probably be sending myself apoplectic hate mail.

Apple Online Store Rings Up Millionth Customer (Apple Press Release)
<http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/dec/06store.html>
"Reaching our one millionth customer is a major milestone, and is proof positive that our online shopping experience is second to none."

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Database Supports Mac OS X (Lisa Vaas, eWeek)
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,751767,00.asp>
This holiday season, InterSystems Corp. plans to give Mac users a gift they've never had: an enterprise-level database.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Apple's "BluePod" - Promiscuous Exchanges With Strangers (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/28467.html>
"Just imagine thousands of people running around with personal radio stations in their pockets!"

Rants & Raves: Baby, Friend, Pet: That's My Mac (Den Parente, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/rants/0,2350,56754,00.html>
Why do we like the iMac? Focus on the Mac credo: Think different(ly).

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Learning The Terminal In Jaguar (Chris Stone, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/12/06/terminal_osx.html>
Regardless of why you've previously avoided [yourhost:~], I'll show you how to take your first steps with the Terminal application in Jaguar.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
State Played Key Role In Browsers (Howard Wolinsky, Chicago Sun-Times)
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/cst-fin-tech06.html>
Break out the digital birthday cake: The Internet as a mass medium is 10 years old.

Internet Spammer Can't Take What He Dishes Out (Mike Wendland, Detroit Free Press)
<http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend6_20021206.htm>
West Bloomfield bulk e-mailer Alan Ralsky, who just may be the world's biggest sender of Internet spam, is getting a taste of his own medicine.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
The Internet Is A Global Medium -- Or Is It? (Carla Passino, E-Media Tidbits)
<http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&aid=12275>
So much for impulse buying.

Vision Series: Vic Hayes (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/1200-1120-975460.html?tag=vs3_tocwheel>
Hayes, who oversaw the first working group to draft what became the 802.11b standard, has since played a leading role in shepherding the development of the Wi-Fi technology used by an estimated 8 million wireless networks in U.S. homes and offices.

Saving Your Bits For Posterity (Julia Scheeres, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,56734,00.html>
Someday, long after you're dead, your descendents will rummage through the minutiae of your life, eavesdropping on long-ago phone conversations, reading private e-mail exchanges and watching the video highlights of your existence.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
Not Fit To Print? (John Feinstein, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21096-2002Dec6.html>
The editorial board at the Times is certainly entitled to its opinion -- as wrong as it may be. But so is Anderson.

A New Agenda For A New Economic Team (Stephen S. Roach, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/07/opinion/07ROAC.html>
This reconsideration comes at a pivotal time -- for the United States and for the world.

Is China's Economic Boom A Myth? (Joshua Kurlantzick, The New Republic)
<http://www.thenewrepublic.com/doc.mhtml?i=20021216&s=kurlantzick121602>
Look closely at the Chinese economy, and you'll find a far less rosy situation than that portrayed in most of the business press.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
How To Slice The Pi Very, Very Thin (Associated Press)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/07/international/asia/07JAPA.html>
Researchers have calculated the value of pi to 1.24 trillion places, six times the number of places recognized now, one researcher said today.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
China's Newspaper Scene Starts To Loosen Up (Jason Leow and Mary Kwang, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,159330,00.html?>
For a taste of communism, read the People's Daily. But to know what citizens in communist China really think, flip open the Global Times.

What Does It Take To Make A Great Editor? (Harold Evans, The Times)
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-503916,00.html>
The trusth about editorship, of course, is that it is hard to agree on a single standard of excellence.

U.S. Writers Do Cultural Battle Around The Globe (Michael Z. Wise, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/07/arts/07WRIT.html?8hpib>
The Bush administration has recruited prominent American writers to contribute to a State Department anthology and give readings around the globe in a campaign started after 9/11 to use culture to further American diplomatic interests.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
---------------------------------------
Singapore Urged To Use Reserves In Retolling (Jacqueline Wong, Reuters)
<http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2002/dec/07/opinion/20021207opi6.html>
Singapore’s budget planners are being urged to overcome a psychological aversion to dipping into the city state’s mountain of reserves as they usher in a new tax regime during harsh economic times.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.