[MyAppleMenu] Dec 8, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 8 21:05:01 EST 2002

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Dec 8, 2002

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Advantage: Macintosh (Scott Kelby, Mac Design)
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/novdec_02/mac_lane.html>
When you buy a Mac, you’re not just buying a computer that comes with home video-editing software, digital-photo software, MP3 software, etc., you’re buying a computer that comes with the absolute best home video-editing software, digital photo software, MP3 software, and a dozen other applications that have no peer on any platform.

In Declining Market, Apple, Dell Try Retail Offensive (Claire Furia Smith, Philadelphia Inquirer)
<http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/4689204.htm>
Apple and Dell computer companies are expanding their sales pitch to shopping malls and trying to attract new customers with activities and gadgets.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Wireless, For Better Or Worse (Matthew Waite, St. Petersburg Times)
<http://www.sptimes.com/2002/12/08/Pasco/Wireless__for_better_.shtml>
A year into campuswide networking at Saint Leo University, the Web brings teaching to new heights but also makes slacking off easier than ever.

Apple In Your I (John O'Brien, The Courier Mail)
<http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,5628187%5E8362,00.html>
Despite Apple's leading the "digital lifestyle revolution", most computer users are oblivious to the Mac's very existence.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
It's All About The OS (Richard K. Hallmark, Mac Design)
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/novdec_02/State_of_MAC.html>
With what I’ve seen so far, I can only dream about what it’ll be like when it reaches the ripe old age of 4 or 5.

Apple, O'Reilly And Branding (Tim O'Reilly, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2396>

Are Independent Apple Dealers A Dying Breed? (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://macsingapore.com/archive/news200212b.html#bukittimah>
I have very mixed feelings about such a future, but I fear it is inevitable.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
What Is Firewire, How Does It Connect (PC User)
<http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/web/4EBD6C4EE0CFE091CA256C820050B87B>
Digital video is still the main reason for opting for Firewire as it has become the de facto standard for all popular digital video cameras connecting to PCs.

Boris Red 2.5: Compositing And Animation App Adds Rotoscoping And Painting To Your Video-Editing Program (Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/12/reviews/boris/>
For 90 percent of the effects that broadcast professionals create, Boris Red 2.5 delivers the necessary power and puts it where it's most useful: in your video-editing program.

CorelDraw Graphics Suite 11: Low-Priced Collection Proves To Be A Pleasant Surprise (Andrew Shalat, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/12/reviews/coreldraw/>
CorelDraw Graphics Suite 11 combines almost every aspect of digital design into a neat, afforadable package of quite good programs and extras.

Let Chaos Regin: Time To Go Down The Foxhole And Into The Orc Burrow (Peter Cohen, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/12/reviews/gameroom/>

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Dude, You're Getting A So-So Handheld (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21116-2002Dec6.html>
Dell has done a fine job of bringing the Pocket PC platform to a consumer-friendly price, but otherwise the Axim isn't that special.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
The Small Screen's Repertoire Expands (Leslie Walker, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21120-2002Dec6.html>
The Internet took another baby step toward movies-on-demand last week when RealNetworks struck a deal with movie distributor Starz Encore Group.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
The Liberal Quandary Over Iraq (George Packer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/08/magazine/08LIBERALS.html>
Why there is no organized liberal opposition to the war? The answer involves an interesting history, and it sheds light on the difficulties now confronting American liberals.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Science & Tech
-----------------------------------
Survival Of The Slickest (Chris Mooney, The American Prospect)
<http://www.prospect.org/print/V13/22/mooney-c.html>
How anti-evolutionists are mutating their message.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
Defending Foie, Or How Not To Ruin A Duck Liver In Record Time (Kim Severson, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/12/08/CM136247.DTL>
For many of us, there is nothing more frightening than having a duck liver as big as a football sitting on the kitchen counter.

The Decline Of Reuters (Rainer Meckes and Felix Krohn, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110002738>
The precipitous fall of this famous information provider has no simple explanation. The challenge, though, is to find the right way out of the crisis.

Urban Allergy (E.D. Mayturn, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-grove49dec08,0,4945429.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dmagazine>
Our hunger for 'authentic' Los Angeles is nothing more than a sneeze at what we truly are.

Stop The Music! (Dave Barry, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10398-2002Dec4.html>
Because in these hectic times, when everybody must remember an ATM code and 143 computer passwords, nobody has the brain capacity to remember what my true love gave to me.

Bring Back Recess (Christine Woodside, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21196-2002Dec6.html>
School districts do not deliberately enact blanket policies forbidding fun -- it just quietly vanishes.

The Game Is Afoot On A London Stroll (Sarah Ferrell, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/08/travel/08walk.html>
A guided walking tour with Original London Walks follows the steps of the Beatles, Dickens, Wilde and others.

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2002 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.