[MyAppleMenu] Sep 18, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 18 21:05:02 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Extra Applications Insulate Apple From IT Shakeout (Sydney Morning Hearld)
<http://it.mycareer.com.au/opinion/macman/2001/09/18/FFX20JL5PRC.html>
It is not just the machines, good though they are, that makes the difference. It is the combination of hardware and software that really counts.

Computer Chronicler: Chris Fenwick (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/09/chrisfenwick/>
"QuickTime is probably one of the most significant contributions made to the 90s."

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

PowerMac Cubes Put To Work At Nobel Prize Museum (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/09/18.7.shtml>
There is something fitting about a museum dedicated to honoring the greatest achievements from humanity utilizing Macs.

Apple To Showcase Mac OS X At IfraExpo 2001 (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/18.ifra.php>
IfraExpo is Europe's key annual trade show for print and publishing professions, and runs Oct 15 to 18.

Divx For Mac OS X (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/18/1647242>

Netscape/Mozilla To Work On Dual PM G4 (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=9437>
Expect nightly builds of Mozilla to be fully functional on Dual G4 OS X Macs by the end of the week.

Developers Support Paris Expo Cancellation (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=3520>
"There will be Apple events at more auspicious times. I am sure we will be attending Apple Expos in the future."

Saudi Prince Won't Dump U.S. Shares (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-7205680.html?tag=cdshrt>
"I am as confident now as I have always been that the economy of the United States of America can and will withstand any jitters."

Extra Applications Insulate Apple From IT Shakeout (Sydney Morning Hearld)
<http://it.mycareer.com.au/opinion/macman/2001/09/18/FFX20JL5PRC.html>
It is not just the machines, good though they are, that makes the difference. It is the combination of hardware and software that really counts.

Apple Donates $1 Million To Families Of Rescue Workers (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0109/17.apple.php>
The company would donate $1 million dollars to the families of rescue workers that lost their lives in the attacks on two American cities last week.

Apple To Donate iBooks To Victims' Families (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/17/2057202>

Mac OS X Upgrade Nearly Ripe (CNET News.com)
<http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-7204041-0.html?tag=ats>
Signs that Mac OS X 10.1 is coming soon are everywhere.

A Creative Approach To Security (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/09/badging/>
"You don't want to sit there on the phone all day, supporting someone, so, from our perspective, we'd much rather have Mac customers than PC customers, because on our end there's much less support and on the other end there's a happier customer."

Computer Chronicler: Chris Fenwick (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/09/chrisfenwick/>
"QuickTime is probably one of the most significant contributions made to the 90s."

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

Why No PowerBook Books? (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/01/09/17/index.html>

Why OS X Matters (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/practical/01/0918.html>

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Quicken 2002 Deluxe (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/feature.php?id=304>
Hindrances in terms of stability for the Mac OS X-compatible release blemish its luster.

NetBarrier 2.03 (Applelust)
<http://www.applelust.com/resources/Reviews/Archives/sync.20.nb99a.shtml>
NetBarrier is very competitively priced, easy to use, and as powerful as you are ever going to need.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

AMD's Athlon: Give Me An X... Give Me A P (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-7219359.html?tag=owv>
Chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices will call its upcoming desktop processor the Athlon XP in what seems to be an odd marketing coincidence.

Will Microsoft Do The Right thing? (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2811960,00.html>
One can hope that the DOJ's moves are an olive branch offered the company as a stepping stone to a settlement or a quid pro quo that induces a settlement. Anything less, and our long national nightmare will continue.

Dell Launches New High-End Desktop (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-7206838.html?tag=owv>
Because high-end PC owners also tend to upgrade hardware over the lifetime of a PC, the Dimension 8200's case can be opened like a clamshell, without tools.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

AMD's Athlon: Give Me An X... Give Me A P (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-7219359.html?tag=owv>
Chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices will call its upcoming desktop processor the Athlon XP in what seems to be an odd marketing coincidence.

Compaq Readies Release Of New iPaq (CNET News.com)
<http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-7215891-0.html?tag=ats>
Compaq Computer will announce Oct. 4 that it will begin shipping two new iPaq handhelds using the new version of Microsoft's Pocket PC software and will offer a wireless communications expansion pack, sources say.

New Computer Worm Plaguing Internet (Newsbytes.com)
<http://www.washtech.com/news/regulation/12552-1.html>

US PC Shares Lower On Fears Terror Strikes Will Impact Industry (AFX-UK)
<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=2369536&BRD=1713&PAG=740&dept_id=226964&rfi=6>
Shares in PC companies were lower in early afternoon trade, with investors and analysts worried that the terrorist strieks will deal a further blow to an already struggling computer industry, dealers said.

Will Microsoft Do The Right thing? (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2811960,00.html>
One can hope that the DOJ's moves are an olive branch offered the company as a stepping stone to a settlement or a quid pro quo that induces a settlement. Anything less, and our long national nightmare will continue.

Microsoft Filing Deadline Extended Again (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7208837.html?tag=lh>
Both Microsoft and the Justice Department are apparently grappling with the effects of last week's devastating attacks.

Dell Launches New High-End Desktop (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-7206838.html?tag=owv>
Because high-end PC owners also tend to upgrade hardware over the lifetime of a PC, the Dimension 8200's case can be opened like a clamshell, without tools.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Internet Surpasses Its Original Goal (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/17/technology/17ECOM.html>
Nearly 40 years after it was conceived as a method of maintaining communications in the event of an attack on the United states, the Internet - long since broadening past that purpose - last week had the first real test of its original goal.

Antispam Laws: Where Are They? (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,46371,00.html>
Telemarketing costs money, spamming doesn't.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Netscape/Mozilla To Work On Dual PM G4 (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=9437>
Expect nightly builds of Mozilla to be fully functional on Dual G4 OS X Macs by the end of the week.

New Computer Worm Plaguing Internet (Newsbytes.com)
<http://www.washtech.com/news/regulation/12552-1.html>

Internet Surpasses Its Original Goal (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/17/technology/17ECOM.html>
Nearly 40 years after it was conceived as a method of maintaining communications in the event of an attack on the United states, the Internet - long since broadening past that purpose - last week had the first real test of its original goal.

Antispam Laws: Where Are They? (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,46371,00.html>
Telemarketing costs money, spamming doesn't.

Web Channels Millions In Donations (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5097065,00.html>
The American Red Cross said Monday that the Internet has brought in about a third of the $102 million in donations it received following last week's terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Red Hat Posts Slim Loss (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7218426.html?tag=owv>

Red Hat To Buy Back Shares (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5097047,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Red Hat joins dozens of U.S. companies initiating or increasing repurchase programs in the aftermath of last week's attakcs.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Singapore Minister Opposes Ban On Stem Cell Research (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010918/1/1h6fu.html>
"While we should not adopt an amoral approach, we should also not be doctrinaire."

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

MFA's Advice To Singaporeans Travelling In West Asia (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010918/5/1h895.html>

Singapore Minister Opposes Ban On Stem Cell Research (AFP)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010918/1/1h6fu.html>
"While we should not adopt an amoral approach, we should also not be doctrinaire."

Free-Speech Rut Due To Too Much Control (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,71125,00.html?>
It is the Government's hand which is holding the needle in place so that the same old song is played again and again.

Sony The Most Preferred Brand In Singapore (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,71084,00.html?>