[MyAppleMenu] Aug 28, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 28 21:05:02 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

He's Not Just A Science Guy (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,37%257E122192,00.html>
"I had a little Sony Vaio that I was very pleased with, and then it got a virus that destroyed it. And I mean it just ruined it. I spent hours and hours on the phone with Microsoft and nothing could be done. It was so bad that Microsoft sent me a fruit basket."

Mac Fans Eager To Surf On A Cruise (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096255,00.html>
After a year and a half of running cruises for computer programmers, Neil Bauman believes he's hit the mother lode: Mac fans.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

He's Not Just A Science Guy (Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,37%257E122192,00.html>
"I had a little Sony Vaio that I was very pleased with, and then it got a virus that destroyed it. And I mean it just ruined it. I spent hours and hours on the phone with Microsoft and nothing could be done. It was so bad that Microsoft sent me a fruit basket."

Apple Goes Retail, Thinking Different (Boston Hearld)
<http://www.businesstoday.com/business/business/appl08282001.htm>
By placing its stores in high-end malls, Apple can get its products in front of consumers who maybe aren't in the market for a computer - but might be in the future.

Mac Fans Eager To Surf On A Cruise (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096255,00.html>
After a year and a half of running cruises for computer programmers, Neil Bauman believes he's hit the mother lode: Mac fans.

CarbonLib Update Posted (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3409>

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Mac OS X For Dummies (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/newreviews/2001/20010820sfordummies/macosxfordummies.shtml>
It covers all of the basics and almost all the more advanced features that most Mac users will need to know to make a smooth transition or a successful introduction to Mac OS X.

Is Now A Good Time To Buy A TiBook? And One Tough Lombard (MacOPINION)
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/01/08/28/index.html>
There is a case to be made for buying any computer late in its model run.

AppleScript And OS X (MacReviewZone)
<http://macreviewzone.com/shtml/art/a/hang/applescript.shtml>

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

New Windows Bug Involves Beams (ABCNews.com)
<http://news.excite.com/news/abc/010821/19/new-windows-bug>
A recently discovered flaw in Microsoft's Windows 2000 software could allow pranksters to shut down computers by remote control.

Microsoft Opens 64-Bit Windows (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,5096273,00.html>
The company announced that its Windows Advanced Server, Limited Edition, is now available for computers based on Intel's 64-bit Itanium chip.

MS Patents May Threaten Open Source (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2808548,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Members of the open-source community are becoming increasingly concerned by ongoing moves from Microsoft Corp. to acquire a range of software patents that the company can potentially use down the line to attack and try to restrict the development and distribution of open-source software.

He Who Controls The Bootloader (Byte)
<http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1115/byt20010824s0001/>
There is no other way to explain this phenomenon other than as a repercussion of the confidential Windows License under which every hardware vendor must do business.

Losing The Need For Speed (San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/08/27/BU89694.DTL&type=tech>
>From Intel's point of view, I have become part of the problem.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

HP Handhelds Fall Under 'Merlin' Spell (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096242,00.html>
Hewlett-Packard will soon announce two handheld computers that run Microsoft's upcoming "Merlin" operating system, this publication has learned.

New Windows Bug Involves Beams (ABCNews.com)
<http://news.excite.com/news/abc/010821/19/new-windows-bug>
A recently discovered flaw in Microsoft's Windows 2000 software could allow pranksters to shut down computers by remote control.

Concern Over Microsoft Date (The Times)
<http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,5-2001296562,00.html>
Wall Street analysts had expressed concern at reports that the motherboard, the main computer part of the Xbox, being designed by Intel, has a design flaw. Microsoft denied this and said it was on time to ship 600,000 to 800,000 units for November.

Microsoft Opens 64-Bit Windows (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,5096273,00.html>
The company announced that its Windows Advanced Server, Limited Edition, is now available for computers based on Intel's 64-bit Itanium chip.

MS Patents May Threaten Open Source (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2808548,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Members of the open-source community are becoming increasingly concerned by ongoing moves from Microsoft Corp. to acquire a range of software patents that the company can potentially use down the line to attack and try to restrict the development and distribution of open-source software.

Microsoft Exec Says XP Will Revive PC Sales (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-6993534-0.html>
Windows XP will help pull the PC market out of its tailspin in 2002, as the new operating system will give consumers plenty of reasons to upgrade, according to one of Microsoft's key executives.

Intel To Inject Speed Into Low-Cost PCs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6992641.html?tag=lh>
Intel will bring 1GHz performance to low-budget PCs with new Celeron chips to be unveiled Friday.

AMD Cuts Up To 49% Off CPU Prices - Again (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/21301.html>
AMD has cut its prices. It updated its official processor price list on 20 August, and yesterday it did so again.

He Who Controls The Bootloader (Byte)
<http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1115/byt20010824s0001/>
There is no other way to explain this phenomenon other than as a repercussion of the confidential Windows License under which every hardware vendor must do business.

Losing The Need For Speed (San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/08/27/BU89694.DTL&type=tech>
>From Intel's point of view, I have become part of the problem.

Microsoft's Latest IE Draws Protests (Associated Press)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/620384.asp?0si=->
The latest version of Microsoft Corp.’s Internet Explorer browser, made available for free download Monday, is drawing protests because it doesn’t support two rival products commonly used on Web sites.

Earth To Microsoft - We're Not Ready For XP (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/13131.html>
Microsoft should abandon its anti-piracy scheme and make its licensing friendly and affordable. It should purge the hype and delete half its terminology.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Search Start-Up Seeks Google's Throne (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6985191.html?tag=owv>
Web darling Google has some fresh competition: a pair of start-ups aiming to improve on its immensely popular recipe for serving fast, relevant search results untainted by pay-for-placement listings.

Growing Audience Is Turning To Established News Media Online (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/27/business/media/27WEB.html>
As the online news audience grows, a bigger share of the market is going to news Web sites that were already at the top of the pile.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

When Your ASP Goes Under (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2808425,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl>
Consumer-based ASPs continue to be the most vulnerable, but are also less deadly.

Let The Dot-Info Challenges Begin (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,46350,00.html>
Trademark holders are already gearing up to fight for rights to choice real estate in the new domain.

Search Start-Up Seeks Google's Throne (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6985191.html?tag=owv>
Web darling Google has some fresh competition: a pair of start-ups aiming to improve on its immensely popular recipe for serving fast, relevant search results untainted by pay-for-placement listings.

BBC Ditches Online Ads Plan (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/23/21303.html>
The BBC has ditched plans to slap adverting on its Web site for non UK-based surfers.

Yahoo To Offer Advanced Web Hosting (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6987263.html?tag=owv>
In its quest to diversify its ad-based business model, Yahoo on Tuesday will introduce two Web-hosting services offering advanced Web site building and storage features, for a monthly fee.

Growing Audience Is Turning To Established News Media Online (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/27/business/media/27WEB.html>
As the online news audience grows, a bigger share of the market is going to news Web sites that were already at the top of the pile.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ===============

Corel Reported Close To Linux Spin Off (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6988701.html?tag=lh>
Canadian software developer Corel is expected to sell the majority of its Linux division on Wednesday to a privately held startup, a move that would end its commitment to developing the Linux desktop operating system software.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Compaq: Big Business Still Leery Of Linux (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6993777.html?tag=lh>
Linux has technical strength and industry momentum, but several obstacles remain before the Unix clone will penetrate the deepest parts of corporate computing, Compaq Computer Chief Technology Officer Shane Robison said Tuesday.

Corel Reported Close To Linux Spin Off (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6988701.html?tag=lh>
Canadian software developer Corel is expected to sell the majority of its Linux division on Wednesday to a privately held startup, a move that would end its commitment to developing the Linux desktop operating system software.

Mandrake Linux 8.0 Comes To Macs (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0108/28.mandrake.shtml>
The new release features a user-friendly, graphical installation via DrakX, disk partitioning via DiskDrake, and a centralized configuration utility -- the Mandrake Control CEnter.

IBM Finds New Backing For Linux (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6986291.html?tag=owv>
Updating the love it has for Linux, IBM will argue Tuesday that the relatively new operating system has begun fulfilling its potential as mainstream customers build serious servers with it.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Transferable Vouchers For New Singapore Shares Mooted At Dialogue (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010828/5/1dhv2.html>
Having transferable vouchers for the New Singapore Shares was one suggestion that came up at a Feedback Unit dialogue session held on Monday night to discuss the Prime Minister's National Day Rally speech.

Fewer Than 8,000 HDB Flats To Be Built This Year (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,2276,19365,00.html?>
Contractors dependent on Housing and Development Board (HDB) jobs said the news - although not unexpected - will hurt them badly. But property consultants and agents were cheered, saying it could help stabilise home prices which have been sliding for more than a year.