[MyAppleMenu] Aug 27, 2001

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 27 21:05:04 EDT 2001

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ===============

FireWire Poised To Become Ubiquitous (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6963327.html?tag=tp_pr>
While Apple Computer was happy to take home an Emmy for its FireWire technology, the company must be even more pleased that the high-speed connection is moving closer to a bigger goal--becoming standard on the majority of PCs.

== AppleSurf (News) ===============

Apple To Open Boston Area Store (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6984174.html?tag=cdshrt>
The store's grand opening is set for Saturday in the Northshore Mall in Peabody, Mass.

Bare Bones Software Updates Mailsmith (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/08/24.12.shtml>

FireWire Poised To Become Ubiquitous (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6963327.html?tag=tp_pr>
While Apple Computer was happy to take home an Emmy for its FireWire technology, the company must be even more pleased that the high-speed connection is moving closer to a bigger goal--becoming standard on the majority of PCs.

Ambrosia Releases Pillars Of Garendall RPG (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0108/27.pillars.shtml>
RPG and fantasy game fans, rejoice.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ===============

Paying For The Clampdown (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/08/20010827162747.shtml>
Who needs a digital lifestyle if you can't get the digits in the first place?

That Apple Glow (MyMac.com)
<http://www.mymac.com/karneboge/8.25.01.shtml>
The grand opening of Apple's Woodfield mall store could easily be compared to this year's past Macworld keynote.

Classic Is Vital To OS X (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/01/0827.html>
Without Classic, OS X would be facing the same kind of uphill battle the Mac did in 1984.

Power Mac G4 Cube 'Special Edition' - Hey, It Could Happen! (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2001/08/27.1.shtml>
I just hope that Apple doesn't become too conservative in its new designs.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ===============

Dual G4 Shootout: DP 533 Vs DP 800 (Insanely Great Mac)
<http://www.insanely-great.com/features/010827.html>
To some, it may justify a DP 800, to others, it may make a discontinued or used 533 more attractive.

ATI's Mobility Radeon 7500 (MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0108/27.mobilitydetail.shtml>

PowerLogix G4/450 Aids OS X (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/feature.php?id=301>

Beige G3 A Good Value? (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/01/0827hj.html>

QPS Que! QuadSlim M2 FireWire Hard Drive (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/misc/01/0827.html>
This is a great little accessory for any FireWire-equipped Mac. Highly recommended.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ===============

Code Red The Dracula Of Worms? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6981816.html?tag=owv>
A new permutation of the Code Red II worm was discovered Friday, and experts say Code Red is now unlikely to disappear.

Intel Unleashes 2GHz Pentium 4 (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6980510.html?tag=owv>
Welcome to the 2GHz PC era: Intel on Monday officially announced the speedy Pentium 4 chip.

Dell Takes Lumps It Doesn't Deserve (MSN MoneyCentral)
<http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/invest/trends/7514.asp>
The short-sighted see no further than a profit-cutting price war. Look beyond and you see a company claiming market share in almost every segment.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ===============

Code Red The Dracula Of Worms? (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6981816.html?tag=owv>
A new permutation of the Code Red II worm was discovered Friday, and experts say Code Red is now unlikely to disappear.

Viruses, Viruses Everywhere... So What's A PC Lover To Do? (Cox News Service)
<http://www.fosters.com/special_sections/online/articles2001/0824b.htm>
Macintosh fans like to brag that their computers are nearly immune. And — truthfully — the Macintosh operating system is tough for viruses to crack. But it isn’t immune.

AMD Responds To Intel With Price Cuts (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6982283.html?tag=owv>
Advanced Micro Devices responded Monday to Intel's Pentium 4 price cuts with aggressive discounts of its own.

Intel Unleashes 2GHz Pentium 4 (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6980510.html?tag=owv>
Welcome to the 2GHz PC era: Intel on Monday officially announced the speedy Pentium 4 chip.

Intel Connects With Developers At Forum (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6963428.html?tag=owv>
The four-day conference, which runs through Aug. 30, will serve as a showcase for Intel and its allies to demonstrate upcoming products and discuss future standards and technological directions.

MS Bugware Blamed For 'Inadvertent' Hack (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21288.html>

Sun Cries Wolf Over Windows XP (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21285.html>
Sun is, of course, desperate.

Dell Takes Lumps It Doesn't Deserve (MSN MoneyCentral)
<http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/invest/trends/7514.asp>
The short-sighted see no further than a profit-cutting price war. Look beyond and you see a company claiming market share in almost every segment.

Microsoft Puts Off Introduction Of Xbox In Japan (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/27/technology/27GAME.html>
"We wanted to make sure we could focus all of our attention and all of our resources on the U.S.," said James Bernard, a spokesman for Microsoft, based in Redmond, Wash.

Microsoft Puts Off Introduction Of Xbox In Japan (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/27/technology/27GAME.html>
"We wanted to make sure we could focus all of our attention and all of our resources on the U.S.," said James Bernard, a spokesman for Microsoft, based in Redmond, Wash.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ===============

Final Public Offering (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A512-2001Aug26.html>
In the Industry Standard's last issue, a cautionary story for the New Economy.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ===============

Paying For The Clampdown (Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2001/08/20010827162747.shtml>
Who needs a digital lifestyle if you can't get the digits in the first place?

New Nail In Excite at Home's Coffin? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5096203,00.html>
The struggling high-speed Internet company said Monday that holders of notes worth $50 million are demanding payments from the company by the end of the month.

iPlanet Moves Toward Sun (Meta Group)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-201-6983106-0.html?tag=owv>
Monday's announcement of new iPlanet integration software that aligns with the Sun One Web services initiative is the latest indication that the joint venture has become a Sun satellite.

Why It's Time To Buy Back Buy.com (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,46281,00.html>

Final Public Offering (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A512-2001Aug26.html>
In the Industry Standard's last issue, a cautionary story for the New Economy.

== PenguinSurf (News) ===============

Sun Still Cool On Linux (Interactive Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2807725,00.html>
As Linux's importance as a strategic platform grows among major server vendors, Sun Microsystems may find itself the last man standing on proprietary ground.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ===============

Think Centre To Apply To Register As Political Society (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010827/5/1ddsi.html>
Think Centre's former executive director James Gomez has said he will be submitting an application to register Think Centre as a political society on Wednesday.

Single Singaporeans Above 35 Can Buy Flats In Mature Estates From Aug 28 (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010827/5/1db8a.html>
These are Bukit Merah, Central Singapore, Geylang, Kallang and Whampao, Queenstown, Farrer Road, Tanjong Rhu and Mounbatten.

Row Over James Gomez's Mailing List (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,66683,00.html?>