[MyAppleMenu] Oct 14, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Sat Oct 14 21:05:01 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Despite Recent Stock Slip, Jobs Isn't Finished With Apple (Computer Reseller News)
<http://www.crn.com/Sections/Columnist/columnist.asp?ArticleID=20604>
Jobs doesn't give up. He trusts his instincts, and even though he has been spectacularly wrong, sometimes he's breathtakingly right. In Apple's current situation, I think the disappointing quarterly results are more an issue of temporary problems with execution than any colossal blunder or blind spot on Jobs' part.

OS X: What Do You Think? (MSNBC)
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/476060.asp>
Many agreed with my conclusions. Others think OS X is a big improvement just the way it is, and a few warned me to "stop whining" about the Public Beta’s shortcomings.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

Despite Recent Stock Slip, Jobs Isn't Finished With Apple (Computer Reseller News)
<http://www.crn.com/Sections/Columnist/columnist.asp?ArticleID=20604>
Jobs doesn't give up. He trusts his instincts, and even though he has been spectacularly wrong, sometimes he's breathtakingly right. In Apple's current situation, I think the disappointing quarterly results are more an issue of temporary problems with execution than any colossal blunder or blind spot on Jobs' part.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

OS X Beta (Ambrosia Software)
<http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&amp;number=14&amp;article=000029>
For now, the good outweighs the bad, and I'm continuing to use OS X on my main machine. Make no mistake, though, OS X deserves the "beta" moniker it bears: it's not ready for prime-time yet.

MusicMatch Jukebox (MacMilitia)
<http://www.macmilitia.com/reviews/musicmatch.shtml>
Right now, it's no better than a direct PC port. That's practically what it is!MusicMatch Jukebox has some nice features to back it up, but the interface just ruins it all and makes it a displeasure to use.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

The Wireless Gamble (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=392521>
If 3G proves the doubters wrong and the mobile Internet takes off, then, for once, Europe will be ahead of the United States in the adoption of a glamorous new technology—though both will lag Japan, whose firms also look destined to compete fiercely for handset sales.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

The Wireless Gamble (The Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=392521>
If 3G proves the doubters wrong and the mobile Internet takes off, then, for once, Europe will be ahead of the United States in the adoption of a glamorous new technology—though both will lag Japan, whose firms also look destined to compete fiercely for handset sales.

Tech Lobby Wants Postal Service To Back Off (San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/13/BU96404.DTL&type=tech_article>
The U.S. Postal Service should not offer online bill payment because e-commerce services of that type are the territory of private industry, not government, concluded a study funded by a high-tech industry lobbying group.