[MyAppleMenu] Jul 29, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Sat Jul 29 21:05:00 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Mac Users Are Doing Just Fine, Thank You! (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for9_0729.html>
Gerad Chua, General Manager Singapore Apple: Mac users are indeed first-class citizens, but this doesn't prevent them from communicating with other classes of computer users.

Apple Faces Lawsuit Over G4 Cube (IT Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2609260,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01>
Apple Computer Inc., which has launched vigorous legal actions to protect the unique look of its Macs, now faces a possible lawsuit over the Power Mac G4 Cube it launched at this month's Macworld Expo/New York.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

Author Replows Old Ground On Jobs And Apple (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/front/docs/mq072800.htm>
Besides the people Jobs tormented along the way, who really cares?

Cobalt May Sue Apple Over Cube Rights (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2378098.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Given Cobalt's history, a suit likely would take issue with the name, rather than the shape, of the computers.

Mac Users Are Doing Just Fine, Thank You! (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for9_0729.html>
Gerad Chua, General Manager Singapore Apple: Mac users are indeed first-class citizens, but this doesn't prevent them from communicating with other classes of computer users.

Apple Faces Lawsuit Over G4 Cube (IT Week)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2609260,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01>
Apple Computer Inc., which has launched vigorous legal actions to protect the unique look of its Macs, now faces a possible lawsuit over the Power Mac G4 Cube it launched at this month's Macworld Expo/New York.

Web 3-D Shootout In New Orleans (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/07/23/0727webroundup.html>
Web 3-D producers braved a raucous crowd of 800 noisemaker-wielding graphics geeks as Siggraph hosted the fifth annual Web3D Roundup. Top honors went to a site that uses 3-D characters to teach sign language.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

Spelling, Grammar, And The Fanzine Mentality (Applelust.com)
<http://www.applelust.com/html/Wetzel/Archives/wetzel_011.html>
It is only when readers demand it that the web will become a home to web journalism. But websites can help to create this better reader by first offering better writing.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

'Making The Macintosh' Documents Apple History (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/28.history.shtml>
If you're interested in the history of our favorite computing platform, you'll want to drop by Stanford University's &quot;Making of the Macintosh: Technology and Culture in Silicon Valley&quot; Web site.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ====================

Microsoft And Open Source?! (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2608991,00.html>
Move over, Sun. Open source's new corporate champion is -- Microsoft?

Microsoft To Release beta Version Of New Windows (Reuters)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/07/biztech/articles/29soft-whistler.html>
Microsoft Corp. said Thursday it would soon release the first test version of new Windows software that will finally unify two flavors of its computer operating system and save the software giant time and money.

Intel, AMD Batle For Chip Speed Crown (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2371409.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Intel will hurdle past another speed barrier Monday when it releases a 1.13-GHz Pentium III, but rival Advanced Micro Devices won't be far behind with a 1.1-GHz Athlon on Aug. 28.

Microsoft Optimistic Despite Breakup Threat (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2371110.html>
Microsoft's senior executives are painting a rosy and profitable future for the software giant, despite the possibility of a company breakup as its antitrust case winds through the courts.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

[...]

Gateway Expands Lease Program For Start-Ups (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2377655.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
While some companies might be thinking twice about extending additional credit to new Internet companies, Gateway plans to expand its leasing program to target e-businesses too young to qualify for traditional lending programs.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ====================

AOL-Time Warner: We'll Be Nice (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,37819,00.html>
Executives from the soon-to-be combination of America Online and Time Warner showed up at the FCC on Thursday to defend themselves against charges of trying to assemble an entertainment colossus that's simply too big for its own good.

Court Grants Stay Of Napster Injunction (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2376465.html>
Nine hours before it would have been forced to shut down its music-swapping service, Napster has won a temporary reprieve.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

RIAA's Hollow Napster Victory (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2608703,00.html>
The recording industry, in shutting down Napster, may be right -- but it could end up, as Texans say, &quot;dead right.&quot;

Dot-Coms Compete For Laid-Off Workers (San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/07/28/BU39105.DTL>
To lure tech workers laid off from nearby startups, McLaughlin hung a bright yellow sign in the window of his customer relations company, User Interface, which said: ``Your dot.com in trouble? Get in here!''

Napster: Not Just For The Music (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,37874,00.html>
Napster's not just for sharing copyrighted music files. Everyone from scientists to computer virus gurus has come up with ways to use Napster-style technologies, but some worry that fallout from the Napster case will cut them off.

Hong Kong Internet Portal Tom.com Lays Off 80 (Reuters)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/07/biztech/articles/29tom.html>
Tom.com Ltd, an Internet portal firm whose initial public offering generated such excitement in February it nearly triggered riots, on Friday confirmed it fired 80 Hong Kong-based employees to boost the company's competitiveness.

AOL-Time Warner: We'll Be Nice (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,37819,00.html>
Executives from the soon-to-be combination of America Online and Time Warner showed up at the FCC on Thursday to defend themselves against charges of trying to assemble an entertainment colossus that's simply too big for its own good.

Thousands Of Napster Fans Pledge CD Boycott (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2373030.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Napster supporters across the nation banded together yesterday and today, pledging not to buy CDs from labels affiliated with the Recording Industry Association of America.

Attacking Priacy At The Source: CDs (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2375288.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
While the recording industry battles in court to halt online music swapping, it also is seeking to stop digital downloads at their source.

Napster Fans Frantically Download Tunes (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2376453.html>
Napster members around the world said they would download in droves during the waning hours until midnight PT today, when an injunction to cease all illegal music-swapping online was scheduled to take effect.

Court Grants Stay Of Napster Injunction (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2376465.html>
Nine hours before it would have been forced to shut down its music-swapping service, Napster has won a temporary reprieve.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ====================

IBM Hedges Bets By Offering Linux On All Platforms (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2377517.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Since 1999, IBM has made several announcements in support of Linux. IBM has done so because it wants to position itself as a leader, in case Linux takes off in a big way.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

LynuxWorks To Acquire Software Firm (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2373820.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
LynuxWorks, an established embedded software company moving toward Linux, will announce Monday it has acquired Integrated Software and Devices (ISD).

IBM Hedges Bets By Offering Linux On All Platforms (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2377517.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Since 1999, IBM has made several announcements in support of Linux. IBM has done so because it wants to position itself as a leader, in case Linux takes off in a big way.

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

Unpatriotic (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/Features/patriot/patriot.asp>
Gibson's patriot is Sonny Corleone, not Sgt. York. By Michael Lind.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Mac Users Are Doing Just Fine, Thank You! (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for9_0729.html>
Gerad Chua, General Manager Singapore Apple: Mac users are indeed first-class citizens, but this doesn't prevent them from communicating with other classes of computer users.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

Nod For 2nd-Storey Retal Links Between Buildings (Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/6/news/nsing01.html>
>From today, building owners in the Orchard Road area may build second-storey links between their buildings with retail space bigger than the buildings' approved gross floor area.

22% More Apply To Buy Resale Flats (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/sinb8_0729.html>
Housing Board resale flat prices dipped 1 per cent in the second quarter as asking prices fell to meet actual valuations -- prompting a surge in buyers snapping up cheaper homes.

Fire Engulfs Seletar Market (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri7_0729.html>
84 stalls were destroyed in the blaze. The Citizens' Consultative Committee will help build temporary stalls.

Streats Promises To Be A Treat (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri5_0729.html>
Bleary-eyed commuters will get a new pick-me-up from Sept 4, when Streats hits the streets.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

Move To Make Infocomm Industry More Competitive (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/cybernews/cyber4_0729.html>

Mac Users Are Doing Just Fine, Thank You! (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for9_0729.html>
Gerad Chua, General Manager Singapore Apple: Mac users are indeed first-class citizens, but this doesn't prevent them from communicating with other classes of computer users.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================

Curtin May Be About To Fall On Harbour Pavilion (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life5_0729.html>
While the PSA says there are &quot;no firm plans', promoters say it is closing down to make way for a new project.

Old Police Station Is Now A Makan Place (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life1_0729.html>
&quot;We aim to bring the rustic charms of Katong back to its former glory. People, culture and habits may change but people's needs don't.&quot;