[MyAppleMenu] Jul 28, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Fri Jul 28 21:05:01 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Sony's J100 Desktop Makes Video Editing More Affordable (Associated Press)
<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?f0067_BC_WSJ--PersonalTechnolo&&news&newsflash-financial>
All in all, the Sony Vaio isn't as good as Apple's iMac DV models for video editing. But, if you're a confirmed Windows user, it's your best solution for simple work

Steve Jobs Book Controversial (USA Today)
<http://www.bostonherald.com/business/technology/jobs07272000.htm>
He succeeded in becoming the Jackie Kennedy Onassis of business and technology - a figure who was ubiquitous as a symbol of his times but little known as a human being.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

Sony's J100 Desktop Makes Video Editing More Affordable (Associated Press)
<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?f0067_BC_WSJ--PersonalTechnolo&&news&newsflash-financial>
All in all, the Sony Vaio isn't as good as Apple's iMac DV models for video editing. But, if you're a confirmed Windows user, it's your best solution for simple work

Steve Jobs Book Controversial (USA Today)
<http://www.bostonherald.com/business/technology/jobs07272000.htm>
He succeeded in becoming the Jackie Kennedy Onassis of business and technology - a figure who was ubiquitous as a symbol of his times but little known as a human being.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

The Mouse Conundrum: How Many Buttons Do You Need? Or Do You? (Right On Mac!)
<http://www.rightonmac.com/articles/00/07/27-mouse.html>
It seems Apple is the only company left making one button mice anymore.

So I Married A Mac Addict (MacInStart.com)
<http://www.macinstart.com/news/897.shtml>
Your husband always promises that your current system will last for the next few years, but you find him in the bathroom the next week with his favorite catalog and a glazed, far-away look on his face.

A Tale Of 2 Articles: Musing On The State Of The Computer Market (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/XavierBasora/XavierBasora79.html>
I saw the return of the Apple III debacle.

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ====================

Virtual PC 3.0 With Red Hat Linux (MacAddict)
<http://www.macaddict.com/news/reviews/2000_08_13.shtml>
If you want to get into Linux without the initial pain and suffering of repartitioning a drive and getting an installation to work, or if you want a safe place to try out your modifications, Virtual PC 3.0 is a great system.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

Sony's J100 Desktop Makes Video Editing More Affordable (Associated Press)
<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?f0067_BC_WSJ--PersonalTechnolo&&news&newsflash-financial>
All in all, the Sony Vaio isn't as good as Apple's iMac DV models for video editing. But, if you're a confirmed Windows user, it's your best solution for simple work

A Tale Of 2 Articles: Musing On The State Of The Computer Market (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/XavierBasora/XavierBasora79.html>
I saw the return of the Apple III debacle.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

Why Are We Defending Napster? (LinuxPlanet)
<http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/2117/1/>
Are we so selfish as to lose our principles?

Do The Media Want To Be Free? (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.mercurycenter.com/ejournal/2000/07/27>
The people who run this business believe we can cope, and even thrive, in part by adopting some of the Net strategies being used against us.

Divided Data Can Elude The Censor (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/07/circuits/articles/27next.html>
A new publishing system developed by AT&T promises to add permanence to information put on the Internet, assuring protection against censorship, for example, and the unauthorized deletion of material by hackers.

== PenguinSurf (News) ====================

LinuxCE: When It Absolutely, Positively Shouldn't Be Running Windows (AllLinuxDevices)
<http://alllinuxdevices.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-07-27-006-03-PS-LF-HH>
LinuxCE and its related projects are still under heavy development, and the successes it reports are impressive considering the closed hardware and proprietary OS they're forced to deal with.

Red Hat Linux Software Soon In Donovan Servers (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2000/07/28/20000728o.html>
Donovan Systems Pte Ltd, a locally-based manufacturer of 64-bit Linux servers and Linux hardware vendor, said it has entered into a regional partnership with Red Hat Asia Pacific to put the Red Hat Linux operating system software into its servers.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

Singapore's Spy Satellite Deal Adds To Tensions (South China Morning Post)
<http://www.scmp.com/News/Asia/Article/FullText_asp_ArticleID-20000727030350113.asp>
A report that Singapore and Israel are developing surveillance and intelligence-gathering satellites has upset Malaysians and added another issue to a range of matters bedevilling ties between Malaysia and its island neighbour.

Private Clubs Should Not Discriminate Against Maids (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/07/28/singaporenews32907.htm>
Private clubs should not discriminate against anyone who are signed in as guests by members, including maids. This was the response of those interviewed by Channel NewsAsia following the recent controversy over private clubs' policy on maids.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

Singapore's Spy Satellite Deal Adds To Tensions (South China Morning Post)
<http://www.scmp.com/News/Asia/Article/FullText_asp_ArticleID-20000727030350113.asp>
A report that Singapore and Israel are developing surveillance and intelligence-gathering satellites has upset Malaysians and added another issue to a range of matters bedevilling ties between Malaysia and its island neighbour.

&quot;Competition Already Exists In Media Here&quot; (Sintercom)
<http://www.sintercom.org/notstf/local_media.html>
There is no real competition to Singapore Press Holding's monopoly of the newspapers and the Television Corporation of Singapore and sister TV channels in Singapore.

Civil Service Pay Hike (Sintercom)
<http://www.sintercom.org/sef97/john/payhike.html>
The blurring of public office and private enterprise is one of the slipperiest slopes to justify any pay government increases.

Private Clubs Should Not Discriminate Against Maids (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/articles/2000/07/28/singaporenews32907.htm>
Private clubs should not discriminate against anyone who are signed in as guests by members, including maids. This was the response of those interviewed by Channel NewsAsia following the recent controversy over private clubs' policy on maids.

Q&A With Mr Lim Boon Heng (Project Eyeball)
<http://eyeball.asia1.com.sg/news/0727boonheng.html>
If it's about news reporting, it must be accurate and get to the point. I'm not against any of the media going into investigative reporting (IR). However, the issue should be real and a substantive issue.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

Singapore Behind HK In E-Commerce And Multimedia Strategies (The Star)
<http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2000/7/26/business/26b09ng&sec=business>
Singapore conglomerates are behind their Hong Kong counterparts in terms of e-commerce and multimedia strategies and should tie up quickly with strong overseas players.