[MyAppleMenu] Jul 20, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Thu Jul 20 21:05:00 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ====================

A Windows Maven Infiltrates Macworld (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2605675,00.html>
For Microsoft developers and users, Windows seems to have become a job. For Apple's: MacOS still seems to be an adventure.

Mac Vendors Color Blindsided (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2602565,00.html>
The chameleon stylings of the iMac have makers of colorful accessories scrambling to catch up. Couldn't Apple make things easier?

Analysts Bullish On Apple's New Cube, iMacs (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2302300.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Shares of Apple Computer rose today, after the company unveiled a powerful G4 Cube desktop computer and a new spectrum of colored iMacs.

Microsoft, Intel, Apple: What Numbers Matter? (Fool.com)
<http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2000/foth000719.htm>
I would argue that Apple's quarter was solid, and the company that actually had the worst earnings was Microsoft, while Intel's performance was astounding. But all three of these companies' earnings statements have a common thread -- the fact that they were largely impacted by investment income.

Thinking Outside The Box: In The NeXT Cube (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/kellymcneill/kellymcneill17.html>
Now that the world can see the facts behind what so many of us have believed to be true for so long, and are now coming to pass, I feel that we (in some weird way) can partly share in the pride behind this comeback victory.

The iMac Fashion Headache (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/07/20/new_imac/index.html>
Damn those designers: I'd have to remodel now, and install some crystal-clear walls to go with my new computer.

== AppleSurf (News) ====================

Mac Vendors Color Blindsided (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2602565,00.html>
The chameleon stylings of the iMac have makers of colorful accessories scrambling to catch up. Couldn't Apple make things easier?

Analysts Bullish On Apple's New Cube, iMacs (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2302300.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Shares of Apple Computer rose today, after the company unveiled a powerful G4 Cube desktop computer and a new spectrum of colored iMacs.

Asante, Apple, Broadcom Partner (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/20.partner.shtml>

Communicator 4.74 Goes Final; Numerous Fixes Detailed (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/20.netscape.shtml>

Bungie Confirms Halo For The Mac (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/20.halomac.shtml>
&quot;We still have a lot of love for the Mac platform, and yes indeed, we will be bringing Halo out for the Mac.&quot;

Apple, MYOB Tackling Small Business Market (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/20.myob.shtml>

Apple Goes Full Circle With Cube (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/apple072000.htm>
New products could help it regain status as a top-tier maker.

Apple Unveils Desktop The Size of A Toaster (Independent News)
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Digital/Update/2000-07/apple200700.shtml>
&quot;It's incredibly complex, but also very lovely. We wanted to make something so that when you saw it you would think 'Of course, that's the most obvious design for it'.&quot;

The iMac Fashion Headache (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/07/20/new_imac/index.html>
Damn those designers: I'd have to remodel now, and install some crystal-clear walls to go with my new computer.

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

Hands On With Apple's New Hardware (Go2Mac)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2602564,00.html>
The consensus? Everyone wanted a G4 Cube, but not everyone could afford it.

A Windows Maven Infiltrates Macworld (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2605675,00.html>
For Microsoft developers and users, Windows seems to have become a job. For Apple's: MacOS still seems to be an adventure.

It's Time To Shut Up: Apple Is King, Period. (Applelust.com)
<http://macosx.applelust.com/html/expo/shutup_expo.html>
Dual-processor G4s: My computer can beat up your computer.

Apple Is Polished Again (Redherring.com)
<http://www.redherring.com/investor/2000/0720/inv-macworld072000.html?id=yahoo>
Whether the impressive new set of products can drive revenue growth through the back-to-school and holiday buying seasons remains to be seen. But the long-term ultimatum for Apple remains simple: innovate or die.

Macworld Expo Report #1: The Cube Is Real (Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/musings/mwny719.html>
While they last, I'd have a hard time recommending the Cube over the Power Macintosh G4 unless you are convinced you won't need an expansion slot.

Inside The Cube (MacWEEK.com)
<http://macweek.zdnet.com/2000/07/16/0720cube.html>
The video card is indicative of the main problem with the Cube: it is upgrade-challenged.

Thougts On The Keynote (MacAddict)
<http://www.macaddict.com/content//news//2000/07/19/14605>
A lot of important promises were made today, but there's very little that we can use to hold the promisors accountable.

Microsoft, Intel, Apple: What Numbers Matter? (Fool.com)
<http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2000/foth000719.htm>
I would argue that Apple's quarter was solid, and the company that actually had the worst earnings was Microsoft, while Intel's performance was astounding. But all three of these companies' earnings statements have a common thread -- the fact that they were largely impacted by investment income.

For Apple, Life's A Niche (ZDNet AnchorDesk)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2605436,00.html>
Consumer computing is moving away from the desktop and onto cell phones and PDAs and other small devices. Apple hasn't noticed. As computing has gotten smaller, Apple's OS has gotten bigger.

Macworld Overshadowed By Steve Jobs Memory Loss (Be Dope)
<http://www.bedope.com/stories/0115.html>
Analysts have pointed out that it's unthinkable that Jobs was not aware of the BeBox considering that Be, Inc. CEO Jean-Louis Gassée was a former Apple executive, that Apple at one point was considering buying Be, that there are several BeBoxen inside Apple headquarters and that's Be's slogan at the time was &quot;One processor per person is not enough&quot;.

Thinking Outside The Box: In The NeXT Cube (osOpinion)
<http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/kellymcneill/kellymcneill17.html>
Now that the world can see the facts behind what so many of us have believed to be true for so long, and are now coming to pass, I feel that we (in some weird way) can partly share in the pride behind this comeback victory.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ====================

Intel's Itanium Delay: Blessing In Disguise? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2605876,00.html>
Power users awaiting the first 64-bit workstations may not be thrilled, but many operating system and application vendors are breathing a collective sigh of relief.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

Intel's Itanium Delay: Blessing In Disguise? (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2605876,00.html>
Power users awaiting the first 64-bit workstations may not be thrilled, but many operating system and application vendors are breathing a collective sigh of relief.

Microsoft Offers Tracking Alert For IE 5.5 (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2298573.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Microsoft is offering a software patch for the latest version of its Web browser that will warn people when sites attempt to embed &quot;cookies,&quot; which are sometimes used to track Internet users' online behavior.

Microsoft, Intel, Apple: What Numbers Matter? (Fool.com)
<http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2000/foth000719.htm>
I would argue that Apple's quarter was solid, and the company that actually had the worst earnings was Microsoft, while Intel's performance was astounding. But all three of these companies' earnings statements have a common thread -- the fact that they were largely impacted by investment income.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ====================

Disney To Propose AOL Time Warner Split (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2298599.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Walt Disney, worried the merger of America Online and Time Warner will give the new entity too much media power, will urge regulators to immediately split it in two, according to a report.

Why It's CNET That's Buying Ziff (Salon.com)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/07/20/cnet_zd/index.html>
It could have been the other way around. It wasn't long ago that Ziff-Davis turned up its nose at CNet.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

The Congressman Who Loves Spam (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,37665,00.html>
Ron Paul, a Republican representative from Texas, doesn't really love spam. But he was the only congressman to vote against the Unsolicited Commercial Electronic Mail Act of 1999. Why? Well, they don't call him &quot;Dr. No&quot; for nothing.

Disney To Propose AOL Time Warner Split (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2298599.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Walt Disney, worried the merger of America Online and Time Warner will give the new entity too much media power, will urge regulators to immediately split it in two, according to a report.

Microsoft Offers Tracking Alert For IE 5.5 (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2298573.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Microsoft is offering a software patch for the latest version of its Web browser that will warn people when sites attempt to embed &quot;cookies,&quot; which are sometimes used to track Internet users' online behavior.

Do Airline Web Sites Hide Discount Fares? (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-2303602.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Recent tests by the Department of Transportation show that consumers visiting some airline Web sites may unknowingly be just a few clicks away from hundreds or even thousands of dollars in savings.

Communicator 4.74 Goes Final; Numerous Fixes Detailed (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/20.netscape.shtml>

How Smart Is CNET-Ziff-Davis Merger? (Upside)
<http://www.upside.com/News/397639ea0.html>
Now, with a combined, unduplicated audience of 16.6 million unique visitors and 2001 revenues estimated at $500 million, the new entity formed is poised to take the field by storm.

Microsoft Ready To Let IM Speak For Itself (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2295727.html?dtn.head>
Microsoft tomorrow will release a voice-enabled version of its instant messenger, plugging a hole in its technology and leap-frogging rivals with new features, including PC-to-phone capabilities.

Does The United States Need A Chief Information Officer? (Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/netelection/entries/00-07-19_86417.asp>
A national CIO would certainly improve federal services. Still, Washington needs a CIO less urgently than advocates insist, because &quot;customer demands&quot; on the federal government aren't nearly as great as those on states.

Why It's CNET That's Buying Ziff (Salon.com)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/07/20/cnet_zd/index.html>
It could have been the other way around. It wasn't long ago that Ziff-Davis turned up its nose at CNet.

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

The Jocularity Of Television Ads (Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2456-2000Jul18.html>
Sit down, ladies, this may come as a shock. We'll break it to you as gently as possible. It's about your sense of humor. Let's put it this way: You don't really have one. By Paul Farhi.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ====================

How Far Would You Go For A Better Life? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin10_0721.html>
The materialism debate is by no means exhausted, but has only become more refined, veering towards the question of what it takes to build a civil society.

Way Open For Entry Of Foreign Non-Traditional Net Banks (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/4/news/nfrnt01.html>
Internet banks in Singapore will have to operate under the same prudential framework as traditional banks under guidelines announced yesterday which effectively narrow the field to reputable players with strong financial muscle.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ====================

How Far Would You Go For A Better Life? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin10_0721.html>
The materialism debate is by no means exhausted, but has only become more refined, veering towards the question of what it takes to build a civil society.

A Scholarship Is More Of A Contract (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for7_0721.html>
Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan: [Sponsors] can no longer take the view that the bond gives them a hold on the schlarship-holder.

Let Independent Panel Set The Pay For Ministers (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/4/views/views04.html>
Peter Lee: The well-being of a nation and an economy requires the development and execution of effective long-term plans and there are little or no short-term or objective performance criteria by which ministers can be judged.

Generous HDB Subsidies For Bottom 10%: Dr Tan (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/4/news/nsing07.html>
More can be done to provide housing for the bottom 10 per cent of Singaporeans, Deputy Prime Minister Tony Tan said yesterday.

PSC Award Winners Speak Up (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin15_0720.html>
127 recipients of the Public Service Commission's overseas scholarships signed a joint statement on the bond-breaking issue.

&quot;Pay Ministers Well Or Risk Losing All&quot; (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin12_0720.html>
The country's success lies in a pragmatic approach to govt, DPM Tan tells students at a symposium.

== SingaporeSurf (Technology) ====================

Internet TV Trial May Cost $12 A Month (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/pri9_0721.html>
The two-in-one service will give 3,000 initial subscribers broadband Internet access on their television screens and interactive television channels.

Prepare For Online Banking Charges (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for2_0721.html>
David Lim Wai Khiong: DBS is apparently preparing its clients psychologically for an eventual charge of 30 cents per transaction.

Parents, Face Up To Dangers Of Internet (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/for1_0721.html>
George Wong Seow Choon: It is not uncommon for sexual perversion and violence to bombard young minds on the Internet, corrupting those not mature enough to handle them.

UUnet Singapore To Offer Broadband Services (CNET Singapore)
<http://singapore.cnet.com/news/2000/07/20/20000720o.html>
Instead of setting up its own broadband infrastructure, however, UUnet will buy bandwidth from current providers on a wholesale basis.

Way Open For Entry Of Foreign Non-Traditional Net Banks (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/4/news/nfrnt01.html>
Internet banks in Singapore will have to operate under the same prudential framework as traditional banks under guidelines announced yesterday which effectively narrow the field to reputable players with strong financial muscle.

New E-Travel Site Promises Cheap Airfares (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/sin18_0720.html>
tiss.com wants to offer bargain hunters in Asia a range of 200,000 discounted airfares to choose from.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================

Tangs Revamps Its Look (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life6_0721.html>
Orchard Road landmark Tangs goes for a makeover and also sets up a website in its marketing strategy to draw in image-conscious shoppers.

Aaron Too Young To Watch His Love Story (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/life4_0720.html>
When Stories About Love premieres next Wednesday, actor Aaron Tan will not be allowed into the cinema.