[MyAppleMenu] Jul 18, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf applesurf at myapplemenu.comapplesurf
Tue Jul 18 21:05:00 EDT 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Opinion) ====================

Does Apple Have The Right To Limit Internet Freedom Of Speech? (The Macjunkie)
<http://www.themacjunkie.com/archives/7.18.00.freedom.html>

== The Wintel Empire (News) ====================

Ballmer To Partners: Law Is On Our Side (Computer Reseller News)
<http://www.crn.com/supersite/news/news.asp?RSID=CWEB&ArticleID=18401>
Ballmer referred to the court decision as &quot;what you might politely call a terrible ruling,&quot; and vowed that there two key issues that Microsoft will continue fighting for: That Microsoft remain one single company and that it will not agree to &quot;Draconian&quot; regulations that will ultimately impede Microsoft's ability to continue improving.

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ====================

The Danger Of Trading On Ratings (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,6913_13,00.html>
&quot;Media Metrix makes the rules and we've got to play by the rules,&quot; says one executive. &quot;This is how the stock market is valuing us ... we have to figure out how to nail those ratings numbers.&quot;

Even Better Than Slashdot? (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/07/18/advogato/index.html>
Advogato is the latest step forward in the evolution of online open-source community.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ====================

The Danger Of Trading On Ratings (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,6913_13,00.html>
&quot;Media Metrix makes the rules and we've got to play by the rules,&quot; says one executive. &quot;This is how the stock market is valuing us ... we have to figure out how to nail those ratings numbers.&quot;

Experts Say Dot-com Party's Not Over, But Shakeout Has Just Begun (San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/summit071800.htm>
The overwhelming consensus: The party isn't over yet and those who left early won't be missed.

Even Better Than Slashdot? (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/07/18/advogato/index.html>
Advogato is the latest step forward in the evolution of online open-source community.

== The AppleSurf Reader ====================

Lucky Numbers (Lingua Franca)
<http://www.linguafranca.com/0007/hypo.html>
Is it wise to bet on mathematical progress? By Jim Holt.

Elusive Truths (U.S. News)
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/000724/mysteries/index.htm>
Davy Crockett and Amelia Earhart are not alive and well on Atlantis. Or are they? By Holly J. Morris.

A New Way Of Giving (Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/articles/0,3266,49977,00.html>
It's taken a while, but many multimillionaires of the technology boom are now giving something back--using the methods they learned as entrepreneurs. By Karl Taro Greenfeld.

Evan S. Connell (Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/people/bc/2000/07/18/connell/index.html>
By flipping the known world on its head, the relentlessly contrarian author of &quot;Son of the Morning Star&quot; and &quot;Deus Lo Volt!&quot; has become that rarest of writers: Dangerous.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ====================

Stop The Press.. It's Robbie! (MTVAsia Online)
<http://www.mtvasia.com/News/Asia/Items/0007/0007030.html>
If Robbie Williams weren't a major pop star, he would have still made it big -- as a standup comedian, giving his near namesake Robin Williams a run for his money!