[MyAppleMenu] Dec 4, 2000

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 4 21:05:02 EST 2000

MyAppleMenu Newsletter

== AppleSurf (Top Stories) ==============

What If Apple Never Grew? (Fool.com)
<http://www.fool.com/community/views/2000/view001204.htm?ref=mcnnlnk>
Considering the pummeling Apple has taken recently, I decided to ask myself the question, "If Apple never grew, forever, what shouldÊits shares be worth today?"

What's The Difference Between A Mac And A PC... User? (Linux Format)
<http://www.linuxformat.com/article.php?sid=67&mode=threaded&order=0>
Microsoft have done some research, then done the dirty. I received a call from their PR Agency today, telling me about this great new survey they'd done, looking at the different lifestyles of PC and Mac owners. And PC Owners came out on top. But then they told the guys at Mac Format magazine that THEY came on top...

The Rumors Of Our Death Are Greatly Exaggerated (MacAddict)
<http://www.macaddict.com/content/news/2000/12/01/23244>
Our circulation continues to climb and business is good, so we don't plan on going anywhere for a long, long time.

== AppleSurf (News) ==============

EarthLink Fights AOL, MSN With Ads (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3989616.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
EarthLink launched an advertising campaign Monday in an effort to raise awareness of its brand and take some market share from rivals America Online and Microsoft unit MSN.

Apple Releases FireWire iBook Battery Update (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0012/04.ibook.shtml>
The software corrects a problem present in some FireWire-equipped iBook computers. Under certain circumstances, the battery doesn't recharge after a long period of inactivity.

Hacking OS X Just Got Easier (The Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2000/12/04.3.shtml>
Clever hackers have managed to tweak and manipulate the system to make it look, and act, more how they want it to.

Nisus Writer Gets 'Tweaked' To 6.0.1 (MacCentral)
<http://www.maccentral.com/news/0012/04.nisus.shtml>

== AppleSurf (Opinions) ==============

What If Apple Never Grew? (Fool.com)
<http://www.fool.com/community/views/2000/view001204.htm?ref=mcnnlnk>
Considering the pummeling Apple has taken recently, I decided to ask myself the question, "If Apple never grew, forever, what shouldÊits shares be worth today?"

== AppleSurf (Reviews) ==============

Inside Your Mac (Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/myturn/2k1204.html>
Part of the stream is two books that got their start in the early 90s and have just been updated. Enough has changed in the Mac world to warrant extensive re-writing of both titles.

== The Wintel Empire (Top Stories) ==============

Corporate Should Pass On The Pentium 4 (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2658963,00.html>
One reason corporate users should avoid the P4 is that it won't make office applications faster.

Survey Says Business Customers Migrating To Windows 2000 (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-3990384.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Microsoft has been successful in getting customers to buy the new version of its computer operating system for businesses, Windows 2000, to replace the older Windows NT system, research firm IDC said.

== The Wintel Empire (News) ==============

Corporate Should Pass On The Pentium 4 (eWEEK)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2658963,00.html>
One reason corporate users should avoid the P4 is that it won't make office applications faster.

Survey Says Business Customers Migrating To Windows 2000 (Bloomberg News)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-3990384.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
Microsoft has been successful in getting customers to buy the new version of its computer operating system for businesses, Windows 2000, to replace the older Windows NT system, research firm IDC said.

Yahoo!, AOL, MSN Remain Popular Web Sites, Survey Shows (Agence France-Presse)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500286427-500452445-502959468-0,00.html>
The latest rankings by ACNielsen eRatings.com also showed gains by Amazon, CNET Networks, eUniverse Network and RJB Telecom. Lycos Networks moved into fourth place in the index, dislodging Microsoft, which fell to fifth place.

What's The Difference Between A Mac And A PC... User? (Linux Format)
<http://www.linuxformat.com/article.php?sid=67&mode=threaded&order=0>
Microsoft have done some research, then done the dirty. I received a call from their PR Agency today, telling me about this great new survey they'd done, looking at the different lifestyles of PC and Mac owners. And PC Owners came out on top. But then they told the guys at Mac Format magazine that THEY came on top...

== Breaking Barriers (Top Stories) ==============

FTC Asked To Limit Amazon's Use Of Data (Associated Press)
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/cti873.htm>
Two privacy groups unhappy about Amazon.com's new policies on revealing customer buying habits asked federal regulators Monday to prevent the online retailer from making any disclosures unless shoppers permit them.

Dot-Com Liquidations Put Consumer Data In Limbo (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/04/technology/04NET.html>
The sticking point is the companies' own privacy policies — the very safeguards many Internet companies put in place to reassure customers that their personal information would never be shared with a third party.

== Breaking Barriers (News) ==============

FTC Asked To Limit Amazon's Use Of Data (Associated Press)
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/cti873.htm>
Two privacy groups unhappy about Amazon.com's new policies on revealing customer buying habits asked federal regulators Monday to prevent the online retailer from making any disclosures unless shoppers permit them.

DoubleClick Trims Staff After Management Shifts (CNET News.com)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3989430.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
DoubleClick says it plans to lay off between 100 and 150 employees, the latest sign of troubles facing the online advertising industry.

EarthLink Fights AOL, MSN With Ads (Reuters)
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3989616.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni>
EarthLink launched an advertising campaign Monday in an effort to raise awareness of its brand and take some market share from rivals America Online and Microsoft unit MSN.

Dot-Com Fires Employees Amid Union Organizing Effort (Reuters)
<http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,20564,00.html>
Etown.com cuts 28 jobs, including 13 who had earlier voted to unionize. Etown's parent company says the layoffs were unrelated to the organizing effort.

NBC President Bob Wright Rethinks The Web (Inside)
<http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,16559_11_26_1,00.html>
This is pure guess, but I think traditional media has become more comfortable in sticking with their own knitting. And I think Internet businesses have become more comfortable in sticking to their own knitting.

Stephen King's E-tale Didn't Do Too Shabbily (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/04/technology/04KING.html>
Since Mr. King will eventually publish the whole novel in print, the electronic sales amounted to an extraordinarily lucrative deal for prepublication serial rights, he said.

Yahoo!, AOL, MSN Remain Popular Web Sites, Survey Shows (Agence France-Presse)
<http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500286427-500452445-502959468-0,00.html>
The latest rankings by ACNielsen eRatings.com also showed gains by Amazon, CNET Networks, eUniverse Network and RJB Telecom. Lycos Networks moved into fourth place in the index, dislodging Microsoft, which fell to fifth place.

China, U.S. Battle Over Domain Names (Reuters)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2660400,00.html>
A government agency is fighting attempts by U.S.-based Verisign to license Chinese domain names -- accusing it of introducing inferior standards.

Dot-Com Liquidations Put Consumer Data In Limbo (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/04/technology/04NET.html>
The sticking point is the companies' own privacy policies — the very safeguards many Internet companies put in place to reassure customers that their personal information would never be shared with a third party.

== PenguinSurf (Top Stories) ==============

Why I Use OpenBSD (ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2660398,00.html>
I like OpenBSD because it installs a solid operating system foundation that I can build upon, nothing installed by default is likely to have any exploitable security weaknesses, and the crypto, VPN, and security features it has built-in save me from having to find ways of adding them manually.

Red Hat Closing S.F. Office (Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,40513,00.html>
A year ago, Linux distributor Red Hat was the darling of Wall Street and investors who got in on its IPO. On Monday, it announced it was closing its San Francisco office.

Dell Fumbles Open Source Desktop Gambit (The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/15150.html>
Dell has a deep public perception problem here - no one believes anything it says about Linux.

== PenguinSurf (News) ==============

== The AppleSurf Reader ==============

Stephen King's E-tale Didn't Do Too Shabbily (New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/04/technology/04KING.html>
Since Mr. King will eventually publish the whole novel in print, the electronic sales amounted to an extraordinarily lucrative deal for prepublication serial rights, he said.

== SingaporeSurf (Top Stories) ==============

PAP To Field At Least 12 New Candidates (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,7999,00.html?>
Deputy Prime Minister Lee tells almost 1,000 party faithful the search for more good people is on, but the party must meet the needs of the heartland.

== SingaporeSurf (News) ==============

Service Standard Proposed For Town Councils (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,8020,00.html?>
A conference on improving estate management will address the need for benchmark indicators for services.

Deck The Malls - For Less This Year (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,8136,00.html?>
Hotels and shopping centres are spending up to 25% less on Xmas decorations, say design consultants.

PAP To Field At Least 12 New Candidates (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,7999,00.html?>
Deputy Prime Minister Lee tells almost 1,000 party faithful the search for more good people is on, but the party must meet the needs of the heartland.

Singapore's Prosperity Linked To Neighbours' Health, Says PAP (AFP)
<http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/singapore/afp/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/001204/singapore/afp/Singapore_s_prosperity_linked_to_neighbours__health__says_PAP.html>
Political unrest in Malaysia and Indonesia could seriously damage Singapore's economic health, the state's ruling People's Action Party (PAP) has warned.

== SingaporeSurf (Entertainment) ==============

Films Department Did Not Address Isue Raised (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,8098,00.html?>
Dudley Au: There appears to be a problem of semantics with the Films and Publications Department, where an answer given has no correlation to what was asked.

MediaCorp To Launch Interactive TV Services (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/singapore/cna/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/001204/singapore/cna/MediaCorp_to_launch_interactive_TV_services.html>
Applications include news and weather applications, an electronic programme guide and enhanced applications such as bio-datas of your favourite stars with a simple click of the remote control.