[Retros] Retros column in The Problemist

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:11:24 EDT 2014

I always appreciate efforts to encourage greater overall diversity, even
with respect to chess problems; but, it makes me cringe to encounter even
the implication that a predetermined quota might be mechanically imposed
upon a specific subset (e.g., when help-games are narrowly subjected to a
faulty comparison, whereas the related subset of help-mates is kept immune
from all similar restraints).

There is a growing misperception surrounding the traditional classification
scheme.
The great folly is rooted in an inherently false presumption that optimal
health depends upon a properly balanced ratio of chess problems, according
to a carefully established set of divisions, and sub-divisions; in
reality, the guidelines imposed by the traditional chess problem pyramid
are unreliable, and were never informed by research (in fact, the genres
were chiseled without any fundamental definition).

This is yet another indication that the classification scheme is no longer
benign.
It has become twisted into a choking vine, to use a better metaphor, which
deprives us all of fundamental stability, and healthy competition.