[Retros] More Dupont-"originals"

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 22 11:20:44 EDT 2013

Bernd <retromode at web.de> wrote:

[Can you please send e-mail in plain text, not HTML? not everybody
reads their e-mail in a browser. Anyway...]

> [...] I believe you that you did not choose the "pre-publication"

> as a priority-protection; but others might want to use it that way;

> and that should not be encouraged.

On the other hand, if two or more composers achieved the same task
independently, why *should* "priority" be determined by journal
publication, which includes various random delays beyond the
author's control? Scientific journals often give submission and
revision dates for each published paper, which can be used to
determine *actual* priority, and in general to have a more precise
historical record. Problem journals could do the same thing.

--Noam D. Elkies