[Retros] Erics off-topic idea

A J Mestel A.J.Mestel at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 14:55:04 EDT 2012

These are not flaws, as I see it, but the rules do need clarification.

I would suggest that all pawns should be treated as kings, and the nortmal
checking rules apply to pawns.

So to answer the points below

1. Yes
2. A checknate or stalemate still occurs if there is no legal move not
allowing a pawn to be captured.
3. It is a win, just as in ordinary chess. If I capture a king that ends
the game, although conventionally the game ends the move before.
4. Yes - this is great fun - it's so hard to construct proof games. The
only way a pawn can legally be removed from the board is by promotion.
5. I don't see any other problems.

Here is a game. I'm doing it blindfold so I may have done something
illegal...

1 e3 h6
2Ba6+ bxa6
3 Nf3 Bb7
4 c4 Qc8
5 c5 Bd5+
6 a3 Be6
7 Nd4 Kd8
8 Nxe6+ (check to the pawns not to the king!)
......dxe6
9 Ra2 Nd7+
10 c6 Qb7+
11 cxb7 Rc8
12 bxc8=Q+ (to the pawns!) Kxc8

and at last we have removed one pawn from the board.
I would have to think about how many pawns can legally be removed - it
takes a lot of captures!

Best wishes,

Jonathan