[Retros] Benko (and Nunn) proof games on chessbase.com

Noam Elkies elkies at math.harvard.edu
Sun Jan 16 12:18:03 EST 2011

Joost de Heer <joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl> replies:

> http://wismuth.com/chess/diagrams/at-home09-sol1.txt

Thanks for the link, which I wasn't aware of before; but ...

> Does this webpage count as a publication?

... even if so, it doesn't count as "before Labelle's computer searches".

> The second is a mirror of the famous Mortimer/Frolkin proofgame

> (see https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Proof_game),

> the extra tempo doesn't merit a new version, IMO.

I recognized the Mortimer-Frolkin precedent too, but don't share
your opinion of it; I think it's a clearly better problem with the
tempo move, and wonder if nobody else noticed this opportunity
in the last 20 years.

NDE