[Retros] Last move Type D

andrew buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Mon Feb 19 14:09:47 EST 2007

Hi Mario,

There is a fixable bug in one of my type D submissions:
P-R/P-R/20 Rnb5/1kpp4/brp5/1p6/6P1/5PRP/4PRK1/5BNr
It would be possible to change the kingside setup to resemble the queenside
setup (and eliminate an R for a B), but there is slightly more play this
way. *Surely* one of you clever chaps can improve this and eliminate the two
extraneous promotions for good.

>That issue (White last move & the Black one are the same) was what I meant

>with:

>> Can at least all Type D records be found, where Black's

>> and White's last move is of the same nature?

Yes I was sort of skimming - sorry.

>Btw., I think that many combinations are definitively not possible.

>(e.g. I suppose, that KxQ/* is not realizable).

>My estimation is, that only approx. 300 combinations are possible.

Who knows? Most outrageous tasks turn out to be somehow implementable -
that's part of the charm. For instance:
KxQ/KxN/13 3bk2K/ppprrp1p/3pp1p1/8/8/8/8/8 Luigi Ceriani, version me.

>I suggest we do it the same way as Type A records are ordered, i.e. not

>alphabetically, but based on the piece value (K>Q>R>B>N>P).

That does have the advantage of language independence: my apologies for
anglocentrism.

>I thought about such a possibility - but the only idea I had was

>that a parity argument might play a role...

This is "de minimis", IMHO. Even if it happens, the ordering should still be
by the power of the unit. I would be very surprised if there is a *record
holder* which depends upon parity.

Cheers,
Andrew.