[Retros] Happy New Year!

Andrew Buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Fri Jan 16 23:16:37 EST 2004

Francois,

Excellent stuff with the counting.

(1) The fact that you have reached ply 8 is fortuitous, because it may allow
you to confirm the answer to a very simple question.
What is the number of "at home" SPGs of minimum length?
Explanation:
- an "at home" SPG is an SPG where all the surviving pieces are apparently
on their start squares. (aka "deletion", "chez soi".)
- a number of deletion SPGs are known at ply 8. (See
http://www.geocities.com/anselan/CHEB.html)
- it is strongly suspected that there are no shorter deletion SPGs (except
the trivial one at ply 0).
Can you confirm this, and give the list of all deletion SPGs at ply 8? That
would be impressive.

(2) With the 2004 stuff.
It's usual practice in SPGs not to have any text e.g. "both sides can still
castle". Moreover, since all play is retrograde, the castling convention
won't come into play. So you can't *assume* that both sides can castle. So
what's the quickest *diagram* which can be generated by exactly 2004 proof
games? (i.e. no restriction on castling (or e.p.!)) Is there one in ply =<
8?

Cheers for now,
Andrew.

PS: Please give my best regards to Elwyn Berlekamp, if you are in touch with
him.