[Retros] Originals on retro list

Kevin Begley kevin_begley at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 27 07:50:10 EDT 2002

"Henrik Eriksson" writes:

> In the scientific world, preprints of papers are often made

> available to the public electronically at http://arxiv.org/.

> Eventually these papers appear in print and that is then

> considered the original publication. There is nothing in

> the Codex to suggest that chess problems should be handled

> differently by publishers.

I completely agree.

I have seen numerous examples where a composer sends the identical original
to two (or more) publications, and later withdraws from all but the
publication in which they desire judgement (more often than not, they seem
to withdraw from the "original" publication).

If a composer is entitled to withdraw a problem which was first published in
a forum with a pending judgement, surely the same holds for "preprints" made
in this newsgroup. In fact, I would argue that any preprint made in this
newsgroup should be automatically assumed to be withdrawn from judgement
(read: non-judgement) here.

Kevin Begley.