[R129 SL] '91 500SL A/C problems

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 19:13:27 EDT 2011

Recently the A/C in my '91 500SL began to blow warm air. A local M-B
repair facility quoted me more than $2500 for the fix. The major problem is a
leaking hose at the compressor but of course, they apparently subscribe to
the philosophy "never let a cash cow escape unmilked" so their estimate
included replacing a laundry list of hoses, seals, fittings, dryer, etc., etc.
ad infinitum. Part of the "fix' included a conversion from freon12 to
R134. I've seen kits offered to accomplish this conversion for less than
$50.00 and I would guess that the estimate I received for that part of the
job was grossly inflated. I suspect that to replace the hose in question is
one of those things that requires many hours of labor, and I'd bet that
suppliers of after-market parts sell the same hose for a fraction of the M-B
price. Here's are my questions: if anyone out there has been involved in
a similar problem, can you give me tips about the difficulty of replacing
the hose, and do you have a source for the parts at humane prices? I have
a fair amount of experience and may consider doing the job myself, although
I do not have the equipment to charge and test the system once the new
parts are installed so would have to have that done by a professional A/C
shop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rich Splaine