[R129 SL] My story : SL280 Softtop

Anil M Seunath amseunath at atlanticlng.com
Mon Mar 9 08:07:27 EDT 2009

Gents :

Its been a while since I've looked at the forum which probably means i
have not had any issues as of late. But i think its a good thing that i
share my experience on the Softtop issue
About two years ago i was active on this forum, looking for ways to get my
softtop to work .. I had similar issues to most of us here.. It was not
until i got the diagrams from Jan that i started to understand how the
soft top worked. In short i pulled out all 12 cylinders and had them
serviced. Now you can't pull all out at once, since the softtop needs to
move to get access to some. When i say service, i had a local machine shop
pull apart the cylinder and replace the o-ring. However they never worked
.. they all leaked since the o-rings were not to spec and there might have
been slight damage on the shafts.
So eventually .. i bit the bullet and purchased all 12 cylinders from
Mercedes Benz in Pompano, FL. It cost about 2,300 usd. Now the soft top
works near to perfect. I say near to perfect since the toggle switch light
still blinks all the time and the roll bar light blinks also. Other than
that .. the movement of the top is like new. My next project is offcourse
to get the lights to stop blinking.

Thanks to the Flying Dutchman for all your help

Anil Seunath
Trinidad W.I.