[R129 SL] Was SL320 Transmission Noise / Is Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Jody Techlin starfishsailor at mail.com
Wed Feb 4 15:31:46 EST 2009

Hello All,
Last week I asked for advise regarding a gravelly sound coming from (I believed) the transmission when the car was warmed up - sound only happened when in gear and it immediately disappeared when returning the car to Neutral / Park positions. Today I had the good folks at Precision Mercedes Repair in Fort Myers check the car over and I am very very relieved to say the problem is not the transmission (yippee) but rather the serpentine belt tension-er which is beginning to wear. When I asked if I should replace it now I was told it is not in danger of failure and that I could wait until I have the 30,000 mile service performed in a couple of months. While there I had them inspect the car and I am glad to say there are no other issues... which is good for a 13 year old car with 28,100 miles on the clock (there are times very low mileage can result in more repairs than ordinary annual mileage cars). Once again I would like to thank the many people who provided advice to me following my question... good people and good lists!
Regards,
Jody
1996 SL320 / 28.1k
1989 190E 2.6 / 118k