[R129 SL] Ignition switch/key problem

gregorio at weststargroup.net gregorio at weststargroup.net
Sat Jun 14 16:33:01 EDT 2008

I had this problem as well - my mechanic explained that it is a common problem with the early models (mine is a '91 as well) and can prove to be very expensive if you DON'T get the key out. Once out, it is a fairly easy fix. The keys & ignition tumblers tend to wear out and you have to order a replacement key at the dealer (bring your registration the VIN number and a driver's license). Keep trying and jiggling to get the key out, if you don't get it out, it's VERY expensive to repair!
Just replacing the key may solve the problem too.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg in West Hills, CA
91 500SL