[R129 SL] Tires and alignment for SL

Steve Hinrichs stevenrhinrichs at cox.net
Mon Feb 18 09:21:31 EST 2008

Paul,

I've got a '95 SL320 (43,000 mi) that I put new tires on a while back, and
went through considerable research before buying. I stayed with the stock
alloy wheels and tire size (225/ 55 R16). I"m also past 'aggressive'
driving, but still like to "blow out the cobwebs" once in a while here in
the mountains of SW Virginia.

I ended up with the 225/ 55 R16 95V Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires, to
replace the original Pirelli P600's (225/ 55 ZR16). The Turanza's are a V
rated tire, but have a couple of (what I consider) advantages over other V,
Z, W, & Y rated comparable tires. First, the cost was considerably less
than the Michelin, Pirelli, or Yokohama tires I had considered. The tires
were $142 each (not including M & B, tax, stems, etc.). They come with a
50,000 mile warranty, which is pretty good for a high performance rated tire
(some don't/ won't give a mileage warranty at all). The other 'plus' to
these tires is that they are omni-directional, so they can be cross rotated,
unlike a lot of other performance tires that only permit front/ back, same
side (unidirectional), switching. I have about 2500 miles on them and have
been pleased with their handling and performance, in both wet & dry
conditions.

I ended up getting the tire locally at a Firestone/ Bridgestone dealer, as
they were no more expensive than Tire Rack (when you factor in shipping,
etc.), plus it's a local resource to utilize, if needed. The dealer also
said that I had 30 days to 'test drive' the tires, and if not satisfied, I
could exchange them for something else.

As a sidebar, I had the original wheels refinished (the previous original
owner had inflicted a fair amount of curb rash on the rims) while getting
new tires, and Wheel Warehouse in Ohio does a great job on restoring wheels
back to factory specifications, including paint match. They look brand new,
and at considerably less expense than new replacement wheels from the MB
dealer or other wheel sources (some of which have 'replica' wheels, to be
avoided). Good luck!

Steve Hinrichs