[R129 SL] wiper problem

Jonathan Hodgman blueridgemb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 13:31:38 EST 2008

Warren Tang wrote:

> hi Folks,

> my 1990 500SL has developed a problem with the wiper mechanism. The wiper only works in the high speed setting. Intermittent and slow speed are inoperative. Has anyone experienced this before? If so, is the problem in the switch, or some other part? Just prior to this, the wiper was stopping randomly while on intermittent setting. I thought I read on here that this was cured by cleaning a contact somewhere?

> Thanks, and Happy New Year!

> --Warren

> The MB Coupes Website!

> R129 SL Mailing List

More then likely the combi switch has given up.. Fairly common.

Not sure how you would get into the switch to clean the contact..never
attempted to take one apart.

I would recommend taking the wiper mechanism off and cleaning/lubing the
internals.. the OE grease turns to a pretty solid goo with time and
kills the wiper motor.

Jonathan

--
Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East