[R129 SL] A340 Dave

Deneal Schilmeister (Portege) deneals at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 22 20:57:46 EDT 2007

Dave:

Whose A-340 do you fly?

___________________________

Deneal Schilmeister ATP LrJet

St. Louis - Cincinnati

1997 SL500

http://homepage.mac.com/deneals/SL500.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: r129list-bounces at mbcoupes.com [mailto:r129list-bounces at mbcoupes.com]
On Behalf Of Lowanover at aol.com
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:34 PM
To: r129list at mbcoupes.com
Subject: Re: [R129 SL] R129LIST Digest, Vol 33, Issue 17

Hi Jan,

of course it is hard to compare acceleration of an airliner to a car, as the
there is not a direct transfer of power to an axle on an aircraft. The
Aircraft I fly is an A340 Airbus which at max take off weight is around 372
tonnes or 820,000lbs (A340-500) You loose about 7 seconds just getting the
engines to spool up (Rolls Royce Trent 556's , about 56,000 lbs of thrust
each.). Then the start of the take off roll is very slow as the power of the
engines overcomes the friction from the runway.

Once we do get going it accelerates pretty quickly with lift off speed (VR)
at about 160kts, (184mph or 296kph). But getting that thing off the ground
is no simple matter, regardless of how long you've been doing it for (in my
case over 28 yrs) Nor is any other aspect of Airbus flight for that matter..
Never ceases to be a challenge, which is why I love it. Of course we get
tested constantly which also never gets easier, but a necessary evil and a
reassurance to those who sit behind us!

But getting back to the SL's.....I'm amazed at lack of dealer knowledge out
there. Another member on the list mentioned that the fluid used in the
sealed transmissions was different than the earlier ones and was very
expensive but necessary as using the earlier transmission fluid could be
harmful. Again I asked my dealer about this and was told that was the first
they'd heard of it. However I don't really trust those guys anyway. What do
you know about this?

Thanks,

Dave (FC).