[R129 SL] Emissions and Countries Standards

Peter Shelton xtr204210 at xtra.co.nz
Sun May 27 19:10:20 EDT 2007

Hi Phil,

Interesting targets to obtain!. Totally agree re hybrids. The cost and
energy required to manufacture the batteries has to also be taken into
account. Not sure what batteries hybrids (Toyota will not talk about them)
use but suspect they are a lead or Cadmium based battery. We are looking at
an electric tram for our city and I am really down to three batteries. The
best seems to be Zebra battery - (Sodium Nickel Chloride) - runs at about
275 degrees C, Vanadium Redox (still not there yet - but can charge about
20,000 times at very high currents), and lithium polymer (charging problems
as each layer must be separately charged- incorrect cell charge means a
stuffed battery). The Zebra is about a third of the size of a lead acid
unit. All the modern batteries require very sophisticated control systems
within the 'battery'.

How does the US intend to monitor the 41 mpg regime. There are cars that
will do this already - Toyota Yaris/ Echo - we have an Echo and it uses
about 48 mpg on a trip on the open road (freeway). Around town - nothing
like this!? Cars can be made to do these mileages but there is no incentive
as fuel prices just rise or less raw petroleum is pumped out of the earth/
refined to push up the prices.

I agree with your comments of standards and targets trying to be achieved -
diesel/ bio diesel seems the best alternative at this point in time. Our
Government is now starting to buy Diesel vehicles for less pollution and
additional mileage etc. We (New Zealand) have lots of 4WD's here - they
use a lot of diesel and are unstable in town and on open roads due to high
centre of gravity. Should limit them to country areas and ban them from
cities - that would cut down emissions and give a much better overall mpg
average.

Anyway, 11 am here, so back to work. Phil (and Jan), many thanks for the
comments. These comments bring us all up to date with what different
Countries are trying to achieve.

Have to go out this afternoon so will toddle home ( I live 700 m from work -
right in central city - house not an apartment!) and get the SL out of the
garage and use a bit more fuel!

Kind Regards, Peter S.