[R129 SL] Noisy Top Release

Peter Shelton xtr204210 at xtra.co.nz
Tue May 15 01:41:21 EDT 2007

Hi Victor,

My hard top is somewhere in the top of the shed, strung up with a couple of straps - makes a great storage facility for all sorts of stuff!

I drive with the soft top roof down (all tucked away neat and tidy in the cavity). I leave the car mostly (at home) in my locked shed with the roof still tucked away, and just have a sheet cover to keep the dust off the car. I put the soft top up at night in case it rains when I am away on business. My 129 is not my 'main' work car - Main car is a 1983 W123 - 280E motor.

When I was looking to purchase my 'Fire Red R129 (with 17 inch Brabus wheels), one roof ram failed (locking rams) in the top of the frame above the windscreen. They replaced both units in the end as I ended up with oil all over two pairs of jeans. (The other ram failed on the second test drive!.) Initially seems a bit stupid to just sit there, but as I was buying the car, I just let the hydraulic oil pour all over me, and be sopped up by the thick denim. Reason was I was quite keen to purchase and I did not want hydraulic oil on the nice cream leather as the oil can ruin the leather.

Our winter is setting in over here so I will be driving in the rain a lot more - with the soft top still in the cavity!.

For information, we had the Australian / NZ Mercedes Benz Rally in our City over Easter weekend. Great success, a number of nice cars to view, fine dining and tried some very nice red wines. It would be good for us 129'rs to have a web site so we can post pictures of our cars and events!. Just a thought.

Have a great day and greeting from New Zealand. Hope I have answered your question Victor.

Kind Regards, Peter S.