[R129 SL] 1997 SL600 Fog Lites

HinchAZ at aol.com HinchAZ at aol.com
Thu Mar 1 18:45:03 EST 2007

Fellow SL owners:

I have a 1997 SL600.

I was looking to upgrade my fog lights but want to keep original look.

I have put 100 W bulbs in place of the 55 W factory installed bulbs with a
higher capacity fuse. (Need to be careful in extremely cold weather as the
extra heat from the higher wattage bulb will crack the lenses.)

Do the newer 129's have a better fog light system? I have searched the net
and the Service Manual for the 1990 - 2002 129's and can't find any info.

When I look at front photos of them on some newer models I see a round
lenses behind the same trapezoidal fog lite lens I have on my 97.

Was wondering if these lights were available and if they are better and
interchangeable with my factory versions ??

PS - Also upgraded my poor 55 W high beam bulbs with 130 W, again with
larger fuse, works great.

Also best place to buy replacement bulbs that I have found is Hella on line.

Thanks for your help.

Tim Hinchman
Gainesville, VA

http://www.aol.com.